Morning Bodger.

All those blue diesels reminds me of Eastleigh in the 70s where you could see up to 20 at a time just parked in the yard, great stuff, are you going to put sound in all of them ?

Jealous George ..

Morning mate, it was YOUR pic from the bridge at Eastleigh that made me get them all out and have a look at them.

Re the sound, as I said above, just another 20 and a 37 sound unit for all of those in the pic to be sound fitted, (well I'm waiting for the Leggoman 47 sound to arrive for Tamar, but its paid for).

• Like 2

I could have done with a double like for the western steamers.

Haven't you done a video on weathering? I know there was some articles in the Railway Modeller, and the ones of the scenery and backscene on Trebudoc.

Don

Morning Don, I hadn't thought of that, I will need to wait until my Camera Man and artistic Director can come down from Stockport, (George T) and try to set something up along those lines.

Great idea mate.

• Like 7

Morning Hal, it seems a lot of people do that, you see a lot of EX sound locos on E-BAY for sale, at least you can change it back if you want to.

I have a Blue and a Green 25 both with sound, but I also have a SPARE Blue body, so its only a couple of mins work to swap the Blue onto the green on for yet another Blue one to the Fleet.

Morning, Andy,

That sounds like a very interesting way to "break into the blue." A green one with sound, a blue without: simple, occasional bodyshell swap - and the best of both worlds. As someone whose pocket is strictly limited, this could a very valuable notion across the board. :)

Here's something silly. I have two identical 25s with sound. I was going to change numbers prior to weathering. In the meantime, I called them, Gog and Magog, and removed the coupling from different ends. The layout goods-yard exists between north and south bridges, and the layout is an oval. So, one loco propels some wagons into position *A* for example, then disappears beyond a bridge, from which IT(?) appears again, seconds later, and propels them in another direction. Shunting completed, one loco emerges and couples onto the contrived train and pulls it out. 

It works best with ovals as you can dash from one end to the other, but it's shunting without coupling. This is a gross oversimplification of the activity, and I'm sure others must have done it before me, but it is *amusing - to me, anyway! ;)

Hal

EDIT * My layout is designed with a *Watch the Trains Go By* function - on the main lines anyway - so much so that the up and down fast are fixed rakes of MK1s, only altered in detail: dining, buffet, different brakes, etc. This would be thought of as horrific, by most people, while I view having fiddle-yards full of carriages as horrific, and a waste of space. My entire layout is centred around carriage sidings, marshalling, goods yards and a coal yard. Local passengers are made up from the yards, and all freight, etc, arrives and departs as trains that have been shunted, to build the trains that would have needed a fiddle yard. I do have a "pause space" beneath a scenic section, where these trains can rest ill they re-emerge, but otherwise I enjoy the old-fashioned version of ovals - you cannot see what is behind you so it doesn't exist. Radical? Probably many will dismiss it as the grossest of playing trains, but when I look at some mainline layouts and see the tens of thousands of pounds worth of stock, to me it's a waste of space and a waste of money. I love shunting, and I shunt trains with thirty vans/wagons (Very carefully propelled with the bloody awful basic couplings, whose bars bend, twist and derail at the click of a fishplate.

In this regard Gog and Magog only work if they hide beneath the *pause section*. 

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 5

Morning, Andy,

That sounds like a very interesting way to "break into the blue." A green one with sound, a blue without: simple, occasional bodyshell swap - and the best of both worlds. As someone whose pocket is strictly limited, this could a very valuable notion across the board. :)

Here's something silly. I have two identical 25s with sound. I was going to change numbers prior to weathering. In the meantime, I called them, Gog and Magog, and removed the coupling from different ends. The layout goods-yard exists between north and south bridges, and the layout is an oval. So, one loco propels some wagons into position *A* for example, then disappears beyond a bridge, from which IT(?) appears again, seconds later, and propels them in another direction. Shunting completed, one loco emerges and couples onto the contrived train and pulls it out. 

It works best with ovals as you can dash from one end to the other, but it's shunting without coupling. This is a gross oversimplification of the activity, and I'm sure others must have done it before me, but it is amusing - to me, anyway! ;)

Hal

I like that, its a cracking idea, its like having a 37 with one side Plain Blue and the other side Large Logo and a different Number.

• Like 2

You're getting rid of a Castle! - I've just bought one! (But yours is a couple of decades too late for me).

Doesn't the track look good...

Thanks for compliment about the Track Steve, but as for the Castle, it isn't mine, I've been doing a weathering job for a mate of mine, (see previous page), it is nice though, I will go out and get a BETER pic in a mo before it goes.

• Like 3

Doesn't the track look good...

It makes Peco-heads like me look pathetic. Still, my layout fills a 12 x 16' room, I'm a bit too old (and cash-strapped) to change. For a shunting plank? But then I might go to *EM. Choices!

Hal

EDIT *No I wouldn't - it would be a waste of too many lovely locos.

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 2

I really would stick with genuine Kadees if you require reliability and resilience - they do a smaller HO "scale" head if you prefer something smaller

Chris

I agree with Gilbert, and I think the smaller headed ones are the 20 series scale couplers. I will stand corrected.

Jinty ;-)

It makes Peco-heads like me look pathetic. Still, my layout fills a 12 x 16' room, I'm a bit too old (and cash-strapped) to change. For a shunting plank? But then I might go to EM. Choices!

Hal

I recently restarted and chose 00 - rewheeling I can cope with (and I enjoy building kits) but I felt that, for me, life's too short to have to adapt or build chassis for every loco (steam era modeller) - I have never built a loco chassis, but dont doubt that I could (and I intend to have a go!), but to do this for everything....

Edit to add: I am building my own track, so building it 2mm wider for EM would have been no problem.

This compromise I can live with - Peco track I couldn't!

Edited by sp1
  • Like 2

It makes Peco-heads like me look pathetic. Still, my layout fills a 12 x 16' room, I'm a bit too old (and cash-strapped) to change. For a shunting plank? But then I might go to *EM. Choices!

Hal

EDIT *No I wouldn't - it would be a waste of too many lovely locos.

Hal, Peco is still the best for probably 90% of Railway Modellers today, and TBH there's nothing wrong with it, and even better when ballasted well. I was asked at one show if my Finescale track was EM, I replied NO, its Peco Code 100  OO Gauge, just well painted and ballasted, he was amazed.

I agree with Gilbert, and I think the smaller headed ones are the 20 series scale couplers. I will stand corrected.

Jinty ;-)

I need to check them out then.

Cheers Jinty.

• Like 4

Hi Andy hope all is ok.

You are doing a grand job looks good keep them pics comming.

Have you strted on the fiddle yard yet I need to go back and catch up.

Mark

Hi Mark, the Storage Yard will be done once the end board has been finally fitted, possibly next week.

Hal, Peco is still the best for probably 90% of Railway Modellers today, and TBH there's nothing wrong with it, and even better when ballasted well. I was asked at one show if my Finescale track was EM, I replied NO, its Peco Code 100  OO Gauge, just well painted and ballasted, he was amazed.

Funny you should say that Andy, it's surprising how many people ask if CQ is EM, I guess spacing out the sleepers just makes it look different enough to confuse.

Ray.

• Like 1

Funny you should say that Andy, it's surprising how many people ask if CQ is EM, I guess spacing out the sleepers just makes it look different enough to confuse.

Ray.

And your trackwork is a credit to you Ray, all modellers should look at QC.

Class 108 DEMU with SWD Sound.

Hi Andy, what speaker is fitted to the 108 and where is it ? I have the two car version with a sugar cube mounted under chassis but it could do with a bit more volume. Might fit another one in the trailer.

Ray.

• Like 1

Hi Andy, what speaker is fitted to the 108 and where is it ? I have the two car version with a sugar cube mounted under chassis but it could do with a bit more volume. Might fit another one in the trailer.

Ray.

Hi Ray, That's a standard speaker in the power car with the corridor window removed and a door window open to let the sound out but still not that loud.

• Like 1