Ahh I got the wrong end of the stick there haha. I've been listening to Neil too much. That 6ft board would be massive for him haha.

Get 2 layouts out of that beast of a board hahaha

• Like 1

Ahh I got the wrong end of the stick there haha. I've been listening to Neil too much. That 6ft board would be massive for him haha.

In fact its about time you did a Neil sized layout yourself

Tbh I am convinced I could do the MD add on Buxton low level on a 6 x 2.5 board (7ft would be nicer though). Might be a nice side project for me until MD comes along? I dunno.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Just caught up again.  Not much to say that has not already been said.  You did learn a lot with Bitton so the time was not wasted.  Take your time on the planning, even if it mans building a small layout while you plan for something bigger.  Don't forget this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby to take our minds of the stresses of real life.

Look after yourself and don't forget that you are still recovering from earlier in the year, and mind that shoulder of yours.

All the best.

Funnily enough, my future plans are for a roundy roundy of sorts, branch line with no passenger service (but three through passenger trains - one a ten coach ECS and another a rake of ropey old GNR and Gresleys), through freights aplenty behind 4F's and dilapidated ex FR 0-6-0's, pickup goods that terminate from one direction only and stone trains that terminate from both directions and always depart in the direction from which they originated. There will be a station with no platform edges but a really ornate building.

If it is operated at home, it will be as a terminus only with no passenger services and pretty much stone traffic only, hauled by Black Fives, Standard 4's, Type 2's and if I am not mistaken, the odd CoBo and even maybe a Clayton. Anyone want to guess the location? :)

This is a long time off and will most definitely be in EM; I may have already started to accumulate stock ;)

Hi Jason,

I bet you have at least one Clayton I am sure they were on special a while back. Some class 25s too.  :locomotive:

I know I have stuff tucked away for my next project.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

Walford Town eh?

Now if I'm correct, isn't that the one with a large retaining wall, and BR Blue in era?

I seem to remember reading an article in one of the magazines, it gave me such inspiration to start.

Jinty ;-)

Yes it had some NSE stock as well, a superb layout. I remember asking about the point rodding and from that day on I knew I wanted to put some on Llanbourne probably should have ripped up my code 100 track too but back then it was that or make your own and I didn't fancy doing that back then.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 4

Hi Buddy,

As you like so many really good layouts such as Kingsmill - Llanbourne - Bacup - Borchester Market and so many others that are all similar, make a cracking layout with all the features you love...just a thought mate...

George

Hi Andy,

Why not try a modular approach to your boards, either to 'the uk standard' being developed elsewhere on rmweb, or your own version. Then you can switch the modules around for variation, or maybe alter just one or two, instead off ripping up the whole lot. You could start with a terminus board/boards and a fiddle yard, then insert a factory board, whatever. Cheap internal flush doors are light and stable, need no framing, but a bit big to easily move, and may not be worth cutting down cf making boards from scratch, if you wanted to  get to a more portable 4ft length.

Dunno if this will help http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bucks+fizz&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=E9D9BE7D4170A5DA0465E9D9BE7D4170A5DA0465

Best wishes,

Ray

Edited by raymw

Hi Andy,

Why not try a modular approach to your boards, either to 'the uk standard' being developed elsewhere on rmweb, or your own version. Then you can switch the modules around for variation, or maybe alter just one or two, instead off ripping up the whole lot. You could start with a terminus board/boards and a fiddle yard, then insert a factory board, whatever. Cheap internal flush doors are light and stable, need no framing, but a bit big to easily move, and may not be worth cutting down cf making boards from scratch, if you wanted to  get to a more portable 4ft length.

Dunno if this will help http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bucks+fizz&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=E9D9BE7D4170A5DA0465E9D9BE7D4170A5DA0465

Best wishes,

Ray

Thanks Ray, I see where your coming from with this but its just not my style to do modular boards, besides I need to get under the boards to fit the Point Motors and Flat Doors, as I have learned from one of our Club Members N Gauge Layout, drum like mad, even with N Gauge.

I have all the boards anyway, but I just need a new top for one of them and then I'm ready to rock and roll as they say.

• Like 2

Thanks Ray, I see where your coming from with this but its just not my style to do modular boards, besides I need to get under the boards to fit the Point Motors and Flat Doors, as I have learned from one of our Club Members N Gauge Layout, drum like mad, even with N Gauge.

I have all the boards anyway, but I just need a new top for one of them and then I'm ready to rock and roll as they say.

Semi-modular Andy :scratchhead:

Build a fixed fiddle yard across the back end of the shed with a flexible in/out track (as in: can be changed to suit) feeding a terminus/yard along the back wall.  That will leave you your workbench at the front and quite a bit of space in front of the windows to build other projects which can then be exchanged with the initial terminus/yard., i.e., many layouts, one fiddle yard.

Semi-modular Andy :scratchhead:

Build a fixed fiddle yard across the back end of the shed with a flexible in/out track (as in: can be changed to suit) feeding a terminus/yard along the back wall.  That will leave you your workbench at the front and quite a bit of space in front of the windows to build other projects which can then be exchanged with the initial terminus/yard., i.e., many layouts, one fiddle yard.

Cheers Mick, I tried that before selecting Bitton, and it cant work as the entry / exit tracks would be on a curve, and Kadee's don't like coupling / uncoupling on curved track, I would still need to come some 5ft to 6ft. from the corner to obtain strait track.

Nice idea though.

Cheers Mick, I tried that before selecting Bitton, and it cant work as the entry / exit tracks would be on a curve, and Kadee's don't like coupling / uncoupling on curved track, I would still need to come some 5ft to 6ft. from the corner to obtain strait track.

Nice idea though.

30 inch radius into the fiddle yard would leave you at least five foot of straight in the fiddle yard.  Is that too little short?

Traveser in the fiddle yard, no points.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 3

30 inch radius into the fiddle yard would leave you at least five foot of straight in the fiddle yard.  Is that too little short?

Traveser in the fiddle yard, no points.

Traverser / Sector Plate and NO POINTS.

No comments to make, just intrigued and waiting for Andrew to do his own thing! I'm sure that what he comes up with will knock our socks off! In your own time Sir! :declare:

Regards

Bill :fan:

Cheers Bill, I hope so.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Don, thanks and yes that is one option I had considered, possibly the Blue period down the back wall and the use the other side for smaller projects to build and move on, (to Peter BB) as I have done with Deesdale Road, Loch Leven / Fiddlers Yard and Swad Lane, (where does he put them all?).

I have just seen Neil, (Mason) post above, cheers Neil, and playing on your little layout at Mansfield made me realise just what's possible in 4ft.

Hi Guys,

Interesting this one.  By the way I lost out on Loch Leven!.  The answer to Andy's question is ... stopping  progression on Rothleigh.  Deesdale  Road is at Cotgrave this SaturdaySunday 18th/19th April and may not look too different but in reality has had a number of changes the worst of which is that it gets heavier every time.  Consider that it was initially 4ft then a fiddle yard which developed into a second part then another fiddle yard which then also provided a fuelling point and then another fiddle yard at the opposite end enabling greater running variations,  All of these were 'one-offs' and were wood heavy ... if I do any more then we will need a crane to lift it.

The benefit of changing it as a novice in layout building has come from replacing worn out bits and pieces that are so well embedded and the learning curve in working out how to do it.  It ran well last night  but setting it up this afternoon still needed some 'repairs'.  The good news?  Seeing all tracks, points and signal working again.

Cheers, Peter

PS I have run out of space so although I have been impressed by it ...  Bitton will not be coming my way. PBB

Spelling edit only PBB

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Buddy,

As you like so many really good layouts such as Kingsmill - Llanbourne - Bacup - Borchester Market and so many others that are all similar, make a cracking layout with all the features you love...just a thought mate...

George

Hi George 

Sounds a bit like a 'bt-on-there and a bit-on-here' if you put all these together but would enable multi-era running changes every 6 inches or so - cheers, Peter

George  no.200 from me and I seem to recollect you saying once 'don't see you writing on the web' P

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 2

Hello Mate,

Didn't go out tonight so did so more catching up on the RMW still no track plan yet mate, slowing down ? hahaha l'm sure it will be worth waiting for ?

Morning George, No Track Plan will appear on here, it will be saved for any new thread that I MIGHT start once its up and running. There's still some work to do in preparing the area which will not be publicised as its the removal of Bitton's Track etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning George, No Track Plan will appear on here, it will be saved for any new thread that I MIGHT start once its up and running. There's still some work to do in preparing the area which will not be publicised as its the removal of Bitton's Track etc.

I think you should keep things under wraps for a fair while, until you're convinced it's the thing to do. You know what happens on here - an idea is posted and the dozens of (well-wishing) posters inundate you with SO many ideas that it can become overwhelming.

If you despair, just remember you've got a lovely working space and plenty of options. And, at the end of the day, it IS only a hobby (honest!!)

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think you should keep things under wraps for a fair while, until you're convinced it's the thing to do. You know what happens on here - an idea is posted and the dozens of (well-wishing) posters inundate you with SO many ideas that it can become overwhelming.

If you despair, just remember you've got a lovely working space and plenty of options. And, at the end of the day, it IS only a hobby (honest!!)

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Now you mention it , the runround loop is too short, the carriage sidings would look better the other way round, if you used colour light signals that would remove the need for that oddity, that cross over only repeats the cross over nearer the station and if you add this line you will still only be able to run trains into platform one while departing from any of the others. :locomotive: :locomotive: :nono:

Hi Guys I do have a plan.

post-9335-0-69108200-1429384724_thumb.jpg

:nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :scared:  :scared:  

:sungum:

• Like 5

On a more serious note, I've been busy today doing some weathering for a friend.

post-9335-0-72749100-1429384947_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08300600-1429384962_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-92347700-1429384979_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-49321800-1429384997_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-26620500-1429385040_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-35112700-1429385056_thumb.jpg

Now I've cleared all my Spray equipment away its tidy up time.

• Like 14