• RMweb Gold

I agree Don, it is a conundrum but I still feel a loco even sitting on shed will MOVE EVENTUALLY and so then needs a driver, I've sat in a stationary Loco in a Depot so it does happen. 

I think it is a question of a suitable pose. I have seen some with the shovel mid throw. Poor bu99er must get tired. In a more relaxed pose you could imagine they have just come on shift.But it would look odd if every loco on shed was crewed. But any loco being coaled watered or refueled should have someone on board or along side. Now I know little of driving a diesel I assume the driver is normally in  the leading cab end which ever way it is going but I assume that for some moves such as backing onto a train he might be in the other end reversing so as to be ready to pull forward. As always some compromise is needed. With my oldtimers like the Bulldog it is so OBVIOUS whether or not the crew are on board.

THere is off course the same issue with a guard in the brakevan.

Don

Morning Andy,

Uncompensated!! That makes the track work even more impressive and leads me straight on to the question - why bother with compensation? I am probably not alone in that for years I have been reading articles and books by the 'great' modellers, the likes of Ian Rice (arguably one of our finest scratch builders) and many others that had almost convinced me that compensation was a must. Your videos throw the lie to that, which is a great relief because the complexity and expense has put me off for some time! Anyone who doubts this should watch that train of vans rolling through Bitton, as Al said - BRILLIANT! Presumably even modified (à la 'Tender' Ray's instructions) Peco code75, properly laid, would produce similar results. Thank you, one of the best things to copy from the whole thread!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

I don't compensate wagons and swb vans and, if I wasn't modelling in P4, I probably wouldn't bother with locos or coaches either, provided the track was laid well.

I will now duck below the parapet!

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It would really help if r-t-r wagons did not come with oval wheels. If you look carefully at Andy's rake of vans, several have a definite wobble. As I don't have a lathe, I turn mine in a drill clamped in a vice.

No need to duck - compensation for steam locos in P4 is a good idea for two reasons:

1. To keep all the pick-up wheels on the track for continuity, (this is of course good in all wheel standards),

2. The generally larger wheels on steam locos can more easily roll up and over the rails - P4 wheel flanges are very small....

Morning Andy,

Uncompensated!! That makes the track work even more impressive and leads me straight on to the question - why bother with compensation? I am probably not alone in that for years I have been reading articles and books by the 'great' modellers, the likes of Ian Rice (arguably one of our finest scratch builders) and many others that had almost convinced me that compensation was a must. Your videos throw the lie to that, which is a great relief because the complexity and expense has put me off for some time! Anyone who doubts this should watch that train of vans rolling through Bitton, as Al said - BRILLIANT! Presumably even modified (à la 'Tender' Ray's instructions) Peco code75, properly laid, would produce similar results. Thank you, one of the best things to copy from the whole thread!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Yes Jock, watch them go through the Storage Yard, its Peco Code 75 Track and points, NOT FULL PINNED and as sweet as the Blueberry Muffin I've just had with coffee.

• Like 3

It would really help if r-t-r wagons did not come with oval wheels. If you look carefully at Andy's rake of vans, several have a definite wobble. As I don't have a lathe, I turn mine in a drill clamped in a vice.

Surely easier to swap out with some Gibson or similar....they're not expensive when compared to the price of the wagon....

Hi all, well I've spent the morning doing some shunting on Bitton  ATTEMPTING to do some shunting, and it caused major frustration so I gave up and took the Dog for a walk instead.

I then went into Sainsburys to get my Mags, I normally have 3 a Month, I had a quick flick through and put them all back on the shelves and left empty handed.

Has the Mojo gone? well I'm not sure, a quiet sit down and then I will go out again later and try again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, well I've spent the morning doing some shunting on Bitton  ATTEMPTING to do some shunting, and it caused major frustration so I gave up and took the Dog for a walk instead.

I then went into Sainsburys to get my Mags, I normally have 3 a Month, I had a quick flick through and put them all back on the shelves and left empty handed.

Has the Mojo gone? well I'm not sure, a quiet sit down and then I will go out again later and try again.

Andy, the Mojo hasn't gone. I'm in an inspired mood with the imminent start on KL2 proper, but the recent magazines.... I subscribe to 3 of them and after a flick through this month (last month too) they just went onto the pile. Same old, same old. 

May I've lost my mojo too?!!

As they say: Keep your pec*er up!  :O  :O  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 2

No need to duck - compensation for steam locos in P4 is a good idea for two reasons:

1. To keep all the pick-up wheels on the track for continuity, (this is of course good in all wheel standards),

2. The generally larger wheels on steam locos can more easily roll up and over the rails - P4 wheel flanges are very small....

I was ducking for suggesting that I wouldn't use compensation if I wasn't modelling in P4! All my P4 locos are compensated or sprung and all my P4 coaches are sprung.

• Like 1

Surely easier to swap out with some Gibson or similar....they're not expensive when compared to the price of the wagon....

I wouldn't bank on replacement wagon/coach wheels always being true either, unless you dig deep and shell out for either Exactoscale (my preference) or Ultrascale.

• RMweb Gold

Andy I find on here much more inspiring than the mags. Not sure what ails you at the moment it all looked to be working well . Perhaps it is a reaction from working too hard. A quiet sit down sounds a good idea.

Don

Andy, the Mojo hasn't gone. I'm in an inspired mood with the imminent start on KL2 proper, but the recent magazines.... I subscribe to 3 of them and after a flick through this month (last month too) they just went onto the pile. Same old, same old. 

May I've lost my mojo too?!!

As they say: Keep your pec*er up!  :O  :O  :O  :O

Jeff

I did have BRM on S/O but it ran out last Month and this Month and I would normally buy RM and Hornby Mag.

• RMweb Premium

I did have BRM on S/O but it ran out last Month and this Month and I would normally buy RM and Hornby Mag.

I've been chucking lots of stuff out lately, so I don't need piles of mags I hardly read. So the subs may get cancelled as they come up for renewal.

Will have a look at these vids of yours.

Jeff

I don't compensate wagons and swb vans and, if I wasn't modelling in P4, I probably wouldn't bother with locos or coaches either, provided the track was laid well.

I will now duck below the parapet!

I was ducking for suggesting that I wouldn't use compensation if I wasn't modelling in P4! All my P4 locos are compensated or sprung and all my P4 coaches are sprung.

Had to go back and re-read those - I'm still confused but no matter.  I compensated an OO 14xx years ago and it kept de-railing in reverse through Peco code 100 points......never could understand why!

Andy I find on here much more inspiring than the mags. Not sure what ails you at the moment it all looked to be working well . Perhaps it is a reaction from working too hard. A quiet sit down sounds a good idea.

Don

Thanks Don, its NOT the through running that is a problem, its my love of shunting, and it just didn't jell this morning.

I've moved some magnets around this afternoon and its not really improved it much.

With Fiddlers Yard it was all about shunting, wagon movement, loco storage and movement in and out, although there was no through running so which do I REALLY WANT?

post-9335-0-92116000-1426529775_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-84199000-1426529802_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I've been chucking lots of stuff out lately, so I don't need piles of mags I hardly read. So the subs may get cancelled as they come up for renewal.

Will have a look at these vids of yours.

Jeff

Jeff each Christmas I go through all mine and take out articles I want to keep, such as good Layouts and weathering articles etc.

Had to go back and re-read those - I'm still confused but no matter.  I compensated an OO 14xx years ago and it kept de-railing in reverse through Peco code 100 points......never could understand why!

Don't worry, we all get confused from time to time. The weight distribution in the 14xx tended to be a bit iffy. I sprung mine and that worked OK.

• RMweb Premium

Every Saturday after putting my takings in the bank I pop into Smifffs as it is next door to the bank. I have a browse through the model railway and the real thing magazines and normally walk away thinking "who the hell buys these" as there seems nothing in them for me. Surprised myself the other week and came home with Rail Express as it had stuff about the Widen Lines in London and BR Mk1 suburban coaches (written by Cloggydog from this forum). 

It was also special as it contains a very nice tribute to Barrie Swann, a modelling friend who passed away just before Christmas.

• Like 3

I've done the 92 and 60 above for a Chap in Lancashire, are you coming down to the Nottingham Show?

Hi Andy,

I'm thinking about coming down but my left knee has been giving me jip for a week or so and today my left arm kicked in just in support! probably arthritis but its worse when driving so will have to wait until nearer the weekend. I'll bring my 35ft backscene and half a dozen un-weathered loco's down for a paint job eh? Hahaha :jester:

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

I'm thinking about coming down but my left knee has been giving me jip for a week or so and today my left arm kicked in just in support! probably arthritis but its worse when driving so will have to wait until nearer the weekend. I'll bring my 35ft backscene and half a dozen un-weathered loco's down for a paint job eh? Hahaha :jester:

Mike, looking at the list of Layouts its not that impressive, I have Golfers Elbow in the left arm, a cricked neck and shoulder, seeing the surgeon on Thursday about my right hip and  knee pain so I will be walking slowly if your there, hahhaha.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I DID have a look at your videos. Enjoyed them both, but it'd be steam for me.

I was also intrigued by the conversation going on between the 2 gents in the background. Couldn't quite follow it all and the video wasn't long enough....

Jeff

Morning Guys and Gals, I did promise some video from last night so here's the first of two, this is the Steam one and the next one will be Blue Diesels.

Thank you Andy this has inspired me to photograph my new GWR Hall !

Rob

• Like 3