• RMweb Gold

Hi Don yes that's the idea, very little loco handling or as little as Possible, now, do I need a Turntable or a Turning Triangle, aka Mike, (Mike61680) Bermuda Road? 

Well round seem to be running mostly them boxy things, now I cannot tell which end is which ( I believe they have nominated A &B ends beside the DCC has to know which is forward and which back!) so you wont really need a turntable for one of them. For steamers I would advise one. It dosent need to be fancy a simply piece of wood on a pivot with track or aluminium angle on it will do and just finger powered. If space is tight a short cassette will do the job as you can lift it to turn.

We operating the fiddle yard on a friends layout. I prfered to do all the moves properly. More fun and less handling. I also convinced him to put in a turntable as I was a bit concerned at having to handle big expensive models superbly made and painted.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Looking at the fiddle yard layout you have I see that the siding nearest the operating well isn't directly accessible from the rest of the layout. Therefore what I'm about to suggest relates to the next siding in (but could equally apply to the first siding if that gets a direct run to the rest of the layout.

Have you thought about adding provision for a cassette linked to the terminal siding to give you scope to add or remove wagons to/from the layout rather than having to do that on the main part of the yard. It should be possible to fit a couple of hinged supporting brackets on the edge of the layout above the work bench to support the cassette. You swing the brackets out when you want to use the cassette and swing them back in when you're working at the bench.

You could even have a second, shorter cassette that you could use in lieu of a turntable. You run the loco onto the cassette, disconnect it, turn it around and re-connect it. That'll take up a lot less room than a turntable.

You might even be able to close the gap between tracks in the main part of the yard if you aren't handling wagons there and add a further through siding although the law of diminishing returns probably comes into play insofar as you might gain an extra siding but the length of one of the others would reduce to accommodate the extra points needed.

Just a thought (or two). Mind you, what you've done so far looks pretty darn good.

• Like 1

Andy

Looking at the fiddle yard layout you have I see that the siding nearest the operating well isn't directly accessible from the rest of the layout. Therefore what I'm about to suggest relates to the next siding in (but could equally apply to the first siding if that gets a direct run to the rest of the layout.

Have you thought about adding provision for a cassette linked to the terminal siding to give you scope to add or remove wagons to/from the layout rather than having to do that on the main part of the yard. It should be possible to fit a couple of hinged supporting brackets on the edge of the layout above the work bench to support the cassette. You swing the brackets out when you want to use the cassette and swing them back in when you're working at the bench.

You could even have a second, shorter cassette that you could use in lieu of a turntable. You run the loco onto the cassette, disconnect it, turn it around and re-connect it. That'll take up a lot less room than a turntable.

You might even be able to close the gap between tracks in the main part of the yard if you aren't handling wagons there and add a further through siding although the law of diminishing returns probably comes into play insofar as you might gain an extra siding but the length of one of the others would reduce to accommodate the extra points needed.

Just a thought (or two). Mind you, what you've done so far looks pretty darn good.

Hi Ray, I wont be using Cassettes as I simply have nowhere to store them, and I may well close the tracks up a bit more at a later date once I know I'm happy with the other side of the room, but on initial testing before laying them I could only get one more loop in anyway, so no BIG gain.

Thanks anyway for the ideas, I may just get a Loco Lift to turn stock as the Diesel will only have a coupling on one end, so to run the other way they will need turning.

Morning Andy,

Can we expect some pics later of the work on Lee's layout?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock, I have put a few on Lee's thread; Braylyn Central.

Well round seem to be running mostly them boxy things, now I cannot tell which end is which ( I believe they have nominated A &B ends beside the DCC has to know which is forward and which back!) so you wont really need a turntable for one of them. For steamers I would advise one. It dosent need to be fancy a simply piece of wood on a pivot with track or aluminium angle on it will do and just finger powered. If space is tight a short cassette will do the job as you can lift it to turn.

We operating the fiddle yard on a friends layout. I prfered to do all the moves properly. More fun and less handling. I also convinced him to put in a turntable as I was a bit concerned at having to handle big expensive models superbly made and painted.

Don

Afternoon Don, I think Diesels have a No1 and No 2 end and mine are designated forward to be the Fan end.

Tonight is an Ex Arla reunion with Jeff, (Binney) and our mate John Bottomley. we all met whilst working at Arla at Ashby de la Zouch and I was in the Transport Office and they were Drivers. We were all made Redundant when they move to a new site in Aylesbury.

We will be running some Steam tonight so there will be some Video and Pics of that later and I'm also doing  some weathering for them and another chap so there will be some pics of that as well.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Don, I think Diesels have a No1 and No 2 end and mine are designated forward to be the Fan end.

Hi Bodge

The fan end is the number one end. Unless the loco has two engines, like them strange Western Region locos, then it appears the number one end is the end with the steam generator exhaust nearest to it.

Hi Andy,

UK loco's are (were) certainly were designated No.1 end to the cooler group i.e. Fan. Today's loco's including Class 43's I'm unsure about and also seem to remember US were A+B but could be wrong on that so all in all I'm pretty useless post 1980 ish!

• Like 1

Hi Ray, I wont be using Cassettes as I simply have nowhere to store them, and I may well close the tracks up a bit more at a later date once I know I'm happy with the other side of the room, but on initial testing before laying them I could only get one more loop in anyway, so no BIG gain.

Thanks anyway for the ideas, I may just get a Loco Lift to turn stock as the Diesel will only have a coupling on one end, so to run the other way they will need turning.

Hi Jock, I have put a few on Lee's thread; Braylyn Central.

Nowt wrong with loco lifts our kid! I've used them for a goodly while now, one each on the ends of the fiddle yard tracks. Just put it down, run the loco into it, uncouple and shift it! Simples! :imsohappy:

Regards

Bill

• Like 5

Hi Bodge

The fan end is the number one end. Unless the loco has two engines, like them strange Western Region locos, then it appears the number one end is the end with the steam generator exhaust nearest to it.

Hi Andy,

UK loco's are (were) certainly were designated No.1 end to the cooler group i.e. Fan. Today's loco's including Class 43's I'm unsure about and also seem to remember US were A+B but could be wrong on that so all in all I'm pretty useless post 1980 ish!

Cheers Guys, always nice to get info from the PROFESSIONALS, Cheers.

Nowt wrong with loco lifts our kid! I've used them for a goodly while now, one each on the ends of the fiddle yard tracks. Just put it down, run the loco into it, uncouple and shift it! Simples! :imsohappy:

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill, yes and there great for stacking Locos as well.

Yes indeed Andy, they carried granite from Croft Quarry to Bishops Stortford & Bow. Never china clay though.

Scott

Hi Scott, thanks for that Info, I did wonder as I couldn't find any pics of them on China Clays or anywhere near Cornwall.

• RMweb Gold

Loco lift are basically a handy ready made short cassette ideal for the job. We do not have the option in 0 gauge.

It is nice to know that some of you are aware of which end is which on a diesel. Very useful with DCC

Don

The Guys have gone and its to late now to download the 12 Videos and compile for You Tube, but it will be done tomorrow and should be quite good with a mix of Prairies and a Jinty, and then some Blue period with 47's, 37, and a 40.

• Like 4

Morning Guys and Gals, I did promise some video from last night so here's the first of two, this is the Steam one and the next one will be Blue Diesels.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

Yes I agree Peter, I have left room along the rear for blocks of wood on top of which I can place cross bearers to cover the Storage Yard and possibly rest a small layout on.

Also I like a gap between the tracks for wagon handling.

I have thought of doing the same Andy,

At the moment Llanbourne has a cover over the fiddleyard to stop the dust etc from covering the stock but for some time I have been thinking of using the area above to build a small layout for exhibitions and to have a crack at building some points.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

I have thought of doing the same Andy,

At the moment Llanbourne has a cover over the fiddleyard to stop the dust etc from covering the stock but for some time I have been thinking of using the area above to build a small layout for exhibitions and to have a crack at building some points.

Cheers Peter.

That's my idea as well Peter, just something small that I can throw in the back of the car for our open weekend or a local show.

That's my idea as well Peter, just something small that I can throw in the back of the car for our open weekend or a local show.

Can't say I am suprised Andy. You will probably have it built by the time build my first point. lol

Cheers Peter.

Cheers Guys, always nice to get info from the PROFESSIONALS, Cheers.

But then along came GM to the British Isles and that went out the window.

Class 59/66 Fan end No 2 end. electrical End No 1 end.

As Mike quite rightly says though all other diesels are Fan end No 1 end.

Even Class 20s believe it or not. If you're driving bonnet first it's No1 driving desk and if your driving cab first it's No 2 driving desk.

Bit more useless trivia you didn't really need to know!! LOL.

Marcus.

Oh and don't know about professional........ Hahaha.