Morning all, well not much to report from yesterday as I was still knackered from Sunday and so rested most of the day. I did manage to cut and lay the cork on the lifting section though and after the housey jobs today I hope to have a look at the track and maybe get a bit laid.

The problem with that job is, that once started I have to finish it otherwise I cant get out of the Shed. :O

Hopefully some pics later.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, Not much to take my fancy to be honest, Bachmann have had Factory Problems so they are doing a lot of catching up.

There's another 9F due and its heavily weathered, it wasn't there, but its in the catalogue, there is also a GREEN 47 with a Tops No 47256 on it really heavily weathered, also at last a DCC Ready J39 that will please an awful lot of people.

More 3F and 4F's, a new Crab, a Green 40, Ivatt 4MT, and another Super D. Also they are doing a Ransomes & Rapier 45 Ton Crane in BR Black, Early Emblem, and in BR Red, they are also doing it in SR and GWR Black as well.

For me just a Large Logo 47 un named which is good and that was about it  so a cheap year for me coming up.

Also Don, yes a timer on the Camera.

Did you HAVE to tell me that? Oh dear, looks like yet more spaceships.

Having said that, KL2 wouldn't be the same without them.

Jeff

Well a really good day so far, after the Housey Jobs and walking the Dog, an nice sit down for an Hour with a coffee and a read of Modelling the British Rail Era, it was time to go outside and have a look at the Door Lifting Section.

The cork went down yesterday and so it was time to look at getting some Track across the door.

I laid out roughly where it would go and cut some Copper Clad sleepers. these were fastened to the board with Epoxy Resin Glue (no Hot Glue Guns used in the laying of this track).

Then a bed of Copydex was pasted and the track laid, to a 48'' radius at either end and a 60'' across the door itself.

The rails were then soldered to the Copper Clad and cut.

I then tried it with some stock and it was PERFECT.

I then removed the section and refitted it a few time and I had NO DERAILMENTS so its looking good so far.

post-9335-0-23167300-1425478205_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-95641200-1425478218_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-63529100-1425478231_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 16

I then tried it with some stock and it was PERFECT.

I then removed the section and refitted it a few time and I had NO DERAILMENTS so its looking good so far.

Won't be long now before you're hammering in the golden spike.  Just mind your fingers, we don't want another modeller laid up like Jeff. :nono:

• RMweb Premium

I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm Andy but how easy is it to remove that lifting/drop-in section from the door side of the layout? Heaven forbid that it should happen again but if you were to have any problems could anyone get in reasonably easily to attend to you?

Other than that the progress looks good. The first image gives the impression (to me at least) that there is a distinct hump where the boards join but the other two images clearly show there isn't.

I suppose you'll be on the second re-build before I get any track down on mine!

Working well, Andy.

Your layout access is a bit easier than mine will be.

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, I'm seeing the Surgeon again on the 19th so I hope to get it sorted after that.

• RMweb Premium

I don't wish to labour the point but I note you have to push the right hand board away to release the drop-in flap. Can that be done by anyone trying to get into the shed from outside to reach you if you become incapacitated in the shed and are unable to push the board away so that the flap can be removed to reach you?

I do sincerely trust that it will never be a problem that needs to be overcome. Presumably the door will still open and if push comes to shove the incomer(s) could crawl under the flap but would they know how to release the flap if they needed to get you out and you couldn't tell them?

In your case would Dee be able to get to you?

This isn't a comment aimed specifically at your layout. It is more a mention of something we should perhaps all consider before we "trap" ourselves in our sheds, lofts or layout rooms. A simple label on the inside indicating what to do like the "Break glass" labels on alarms and where to hit train windows to escape might be sufficient.

This has made me think about my proposed layout. I shall make an effort to incorporate some automatic means of stopping trains before they get too close to the edge if my lifting flap isn't down so incomers don't need to worry about stepping over any debris because a runaway has headed for the floor when they lifted the flap to get in - it'll also stop me running trains too near the edge (and into the wild beyond) if I forget to secure the flap properly under normal circumstances.

• Like 3

I don't wish to labour the point but I note you have to push the right hand board away to release the drop-in flap. Can that be done by anyone trying to get into the shed from outside to reach you if you become incapacitated in the shed and are unable to push the board away so that the flap can be removed to reach you?

I do sincerely trust that it will never be a problem that needs to be overcome. Presumably the door will still open and if push comes to shove the incomer(s) could crawl under the flap but would they know how to release the flap if they needed to get you out and you couldn't tell them?

This isn't a comment aimed specifically at your layout. It is more a mention of something we should perhaps all consider before we "trap" ourselves in our sheds, lofts or layout rooms. A simple label on the inside indicating what to do like the "Break glass" labels on alarms and where to hit train windows to escape might be sufficient.

This has made me think about my proposed layout. I shall make an effort to incorporate some automatic means of stopping trains before they get too close to the edge if my lifting flap isn't down so incomers don't need to worry about stepping over any debris because a runaway has headed for the floor when they lifted the flap to get in - it'll also stop me running trains too near the edge (and into the wild beyond) if I forget to secure the flap properly under normal circumstances.

Hi Ray, I don't need to move the board to release the lifting flap, I just have the facility to do it to ensure so that I don't damage the rail ends.

The flap will easily do a vertical lift should anyone need to get to me, and even I (WITH MY duff hip) managed to crawl under whilst the copydex under the track was setting and also so that I could check for a nice curve from outside.

• Like 5

Hi Ray

How club layout (Tawbridge) the fiddle yard is protected to stop the train before it gets to the fiddle yard of the cassette is not there, when the cassette is there it makes a connection (like a switch) if the cassette is not there the train stops before it gets to the fiddle yard. just like having a isolated section on the layout with a switch on the control panel, but the switch is the removable section. It will have to be on both ends of the removable section.      

Fear not young Raymond all will be revealed NOW.

Andy - This looks really impressive.  But can you please explain how the lift out section is located or gripped if you like by the adjoining abutment baseboards ensuring that the rails are aligned precisely?  Ulterior motive - this might be something I may want to adopt on my new layout.  A pic of the underside of the lift out section and its corresponding supports might shed some light for me and save you a lot of words :) .

Regards,

Brian.

After watching the video I'm sure Andy will be safe inside his shed Ray.  With the "hands of God" appearing that many times in two minutes he'll be protected from bad things forever. :sungum:

Morning Bodge,

You will need some red stop signals and possibly a blue SPAD signal to avoid the drop...hahaha only joking mate cracking job, remember my Hornby mainline blue class 60 ?

GT

• Like 3

Andy - This looks really impressive.  But can you please explain how the lift out section is located or gripped if you like by the adjoining abutment baseboards ensuring that the rails are aligned precisely?  Ulterior motive - this might be something I may want to adopt on my new layout.  A pic of the underside of the lift out section and its corresponding supports might shed some light for me and save you a lot of words :) .

Regards,

Brian.

Morning Brian, it literally just rest's on the two outer boards, a shelf formation on the left 

post-9335-0-34499500-1425544550_thumb.jpg

and a piece of 45mm sq on the right.

post-9335-0-41918100-1425544569_thumb.jpg

And is pushed away from me to a stop block.

post-9335-0-33358600-1425544612_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Morning Hugh, George and Mick, I am still only doing an Hour or so at a time but don't know why I get so tired.

As for the Hands of God, well I need some help, hahhah

George, that Mainline Blue 60 was mine, you CONNED me out of it in a deal. You then dropped it off your layout and Hornby repaired it, you then BLAGGED it back to me again. hhahaHahahah

Here it is in happier times working on Kingsmill.

post-9335-0-20560000-1425545186_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-49553900-1425545248_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-96952800-1425545268_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-70633300-1425545293_thumb.jpg

We should have called that a Yo Yo livery, ahhah

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 14

Evening all, Whilst I'm waiting for some Video to download to You Tube I thought I'd just show some pics of the electrical connection for the Door section.

post-9335-0-92308800-1425579795_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-70415600-1425579810_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-00706700-1425579826_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-04128700-1425579840_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 17

Morning Brian, it literally just rest's on the two outer boards, a shelf formation on the left 

attachicon.gifLifting Section 003.JPG

and a piece of 45mm sq on the right.

attachicon.gifLifting Section 002.JPG

And is pushed away from me to a stop block.

attachicon.gifLifting Section 001.JPG

Thanks for that explanation, Andy.  So simple but entirely effective.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

The first trains have run across the Door section under their own power.

In reality the Door section should be on an Embankment as per the prototype, but I didn't fancy 150 quid's worth of sound Loco doing a nose dive off the side.

• Like 19