Good on you for taking a break Andy and you've done better with your test track/ballast thing than I ever did when I built a 4-track diorama a while back.

Best,

Rob

here is sort-of what it looked like... Peco code 75 flexi-track. I now have short lengths of hand-made C&L for my pics but it drove me mad. Lack of discipline and concentration!

post-7929-0-96239800-1424037869_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Andy, another timesaver is to spray the track (sleepers) with a base colour before you lay it, wiping the surface of the rail off before it dries (or scrape it off if you forget).

Thanks Ray, that's my normal method, but this was just a test piece, I have laid the first bit of track on Buckfast, but I will start a thread on that later, again I haven't painted its as I want to build the points on the board on that one.

• Like 3

Excellent test piece Andy. I think you've found the ideal 00 ballast. How does it work out cost wise?

Hi Duncan and thanks, not a clue on cost but I've only used a couple od spoonfulls on the new layout  so far.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Nice to see you with a positive slant again. But remember, take it easy. I've just read a post of yours on Peter Midwinter's layout topic, it said,

"Now don't forget, take it easy..........." :declare:

Nice way to ballast the glue the track and ballast down together isn't it. I've used PVA myself, but I've been very pleased with the results.

I think we all have a different view and opinion on ballast colour, but it would be a poor world if we all liked the same eh???

Great test piece.

Jinty ;-)

Thanks for reminding me Jinty, I have had a long day out there as Dee is away, but its been slow and mainly planning, and playing with some Kadees, apart from a start on Buckfast, but more of that on a new thread shortly.

• Like 3

Good on you for taking a break Andy and you've done better with your test track/ballast thing than I ever did when I built a 4-track diorama a while back.

Best,

Rob

here is sort-of what it looked like... Peco code 75 flexi-track. I now have short lengths of hand-made C&L for my pics but it drove me mad. Lack of discipline and concentration!

attachicon.gif45587_Jubilee_at_Speed_1ab_r1200a.jpg

Hi Rob, Nice pic, thanks, BUT  check out the heading, NO STEAM ON Bitton now I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

The ballasting looks pretty good. On plain track glue and ballst in one go works fine. I am not too sure about ballasting all the points until I have run enough trains to be really happy with the alignment. I suppose you could put thing down temporary with the electrical connections check all the alignments running quite a few trains. Then having marked the positions lift the track slightly (needs a bit of slack on the droppers) just enough to get a brush under place it back down and ballast. Well thats the way I am thinking. Trouble is you will probably have laid all your track before I do a trial :jester:

Don

• Like 1

The ballasting looks pretty good. On plain track glue and ballst in one go works fine. I am not too sure about ballasting all the points until I have run enough trains to be really happy with the alignment. I suppose you could put thing down temporary with the electrical connections check all the alignments running quite a few trains. Then having marked the positions lift the track slightly (needs a bit of slack on the droppers) just enough to get a brush under place it back down and ballast. Well thats the way I am thinking. Trouble is you will probably have laid all your track before I do a trial :jester:

Don

Don my main track and ALL the points on Bitton are already laid, wired and tested. never mind maybe on my next layout, hahhaha

• Like 3

Don

Don just on another point, and that is the new Deluxe Materials Ballasting stuff as show on the DVD really make ballasting look much easier.  

• Like 1

Hi Rob, Nice pic, thanks, BUT  check out the heading, NO STEAM ON Bitton now I'm afraid.

Thankyou. Diesels can be ok too.  Especially with sound.   I didn't mean my pic to be exactly relevant except in showing my rather rough track laying.

Jeff didn't get it when I joked about people actually making model engines run on a layout, too. I thought they were intended mainly for me to photograph....    :)

• Like 1

Thankyou. Diesels can be ok too.  Especially with sound.   I didn't mean my pic to be exactly relevant except in showing my rather rough track laying.

Jeff didn't get it when I joked about people actually making model engines run on a layout, too. I thought they were intended mainly for me to photograph....    :)

Cheers Rob, yes all mine will be Sound fitted, only one Blue 20 and another Large Logo Blue 47 I bought today to do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's the original comment from the post...

"how can people build and line sheds when they could sit by the fire and buy such as this ?    :)"

I think I understood that building and lining sheds, for the purposes of running the locos, is more the norm than simply buying and looking at them.

Sorry, I, too, tried to be witty.

Am I missing something here?

Jeff

• Like 3

Ordered another 47 today, a ViTrains Large Logo, 47401. :O

YES O.K. DONT SHOUT AT ME. :no:

I know I had one a while ago to run on Swad Lane, then sold it to fund the Shed Build, but it should arrive any day now, then just a Sound chip to order for it. I will wait until I've dome the Legomanbiffo 47 then compare it with the SWD one with the Large Bass Speaker to compare for the best sound.

post-9335-0-22873000-1424123554_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-37252400-1424123596_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I know I had one a while ago to run on Swad Lane, then sold it to fund the Shed Build, but it should arrive any day now, then just a Sound chip to order for it. I will wait until I've dome the Legomanbiffo 47 then compare it with the SWD one with the Large Bass Speaker to compare for the best sound.

Andy,

I've got both, and Biffo wins hands down.

Although I haven't heard the SWD U-Drive one yet.

Jinty ;-)

Hi Andy,

I used to have one of those 47 401's by ViTrains when they first introduced them, I found them a bit of a pain to put all the detailing bits on!!

I'm guessing you are buying yours used?

It certainly was a nice powerful loco anyway and does look good in LL livery, despite my love of green (or even, Maroon) diesels!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifLocos for Swad 2 006.JPG

attachicon.gifLocos for Swad 2 027.JPG

Hi Andy

I have one of them. It is in the process fo being back dated with a 3 part fixed radiator grille. It will be in a proper livery of two tone green. With no sound.

post-16423-0-39777600-1424129980_thumb.png

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

47's! My favourite diesel, just beautiful!

Hi Mike

The grey one next to her is going to be one of the freight only, non bolier, 47/3s, not sure if she will be a Toton or a Tinsley machine yet.

I am also doing a Vi-trains 47 with its grilles open. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62561-rough-engineering-made-easy-converting-diesels/?p=1089673

• Like 2

Andy,

I've got both, and Biffo wins hands down.

Although I haven't heard the SWD U-Drive one yet.

Jinty ;-)

Hi Andy,

I used to have one of those 47 401's by ViTrains when they first introduced them, I found them a bit of a pain to put all the detailing bits on!!

I'm guessing you are buying yours used?

It certainly was a nice powerful loco anyway and does look good in LL livery, despite my love of green (or even, Maroon) diesels!

Cheers,

John.

Morning Jinty and John, My SWD one in the Heljan 47 has a big BASS speaker and is really nice, John the ViTrains is NEW / Second Hand, i.e. all bits still to put on but there not to bad once you've done a couple providing you open out ALL the holes first and get the steps around the right way.

Hi Andy

I have one of them. It is in the process fo being back dated with a 3 part fixed radiator grille. It will be in a proper livery of two tone green. With no sound.

attachicon.gif010a.png

Hi Mike

The grey one next to her is going to be one of the freight only, non bolier, 47/3s, not sure if she will be a Toton or a Tinsley machine yet.

I am also doing a Vi-trains 47 with its grilles open. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62561-rough-engineering-made-easy-converting-diesels/?p=1089673

Morning Clive.

Sacrilege. :O

• Like 1

Did I just agree to disagree, I'll make a politician yet!

Anyway, where has the 'disagree' and 'unsure' button gone? And why can't you cancel an ordinary reply but you can a reply with attachments, and why is there no 'go to first unread post' button at the bottom of the last post? Well I can go on at length just like a politician.  :jester:  :jester:  :jester: