Cheers guys, I'll have a look at that DVD Alan, and yes I have stuck / burnt my fingers many times on the hot Glue Gun, but that's part of the sadistic fun of using it, :O   isn't it? :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

• Like 2

Well nothing much on Bitton this morning, except some planning, which is always nice. I may do a little later / tonight then I'm out all day tomorrow.

I want to try and ballast my test samples to see the results and to see if SMP track can be ballasted the normal Peco way.

• Like 4

Andy I have ballasted SMP and as long as you use small size ballast you will be okay its lovely track and I think that I shall convert to it in the station area on my layout hope you get on okay,think my mojo for modelling will be back after my visit  to Glasgow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Just catching up after being away on business. Good to see you getting some mojo back. Its only a hobby and at times BbBrighton's 5 year gestation period seemed a lifetime. I found/still find trying to keep a layout blog going while building very hard to keep, so I concentrated for long periods on simply building the layout and doing periodic updates. I think the longest period was around 6 months! As the others say back burner it if necessary.

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

Probably too late now but a few of us on RMweb use the Glue, Lay and Ballast all in one method. Have a look on the first page http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=937668 of CQ or on Larry's (Coachman) thread. It works even better with SMP due to the thinner sleepers. I pinched the idea from Trains12 (Peter) when i saw how easy it is to do.

Ray.

Edited by tender

Hi Andy,

Taking a break eh!?!?

Never mind, great to see you're up to something. I am late as usual getting to know what's been happening as my desktop computer died a death so got a new one which would not switch on!!!! Replacement arrived yesterday so missed all the action trying to set the bleeding thing up. 

Playing trains tonight so pics may.............I say 'may' just be on later. Look after yourself mate.

• Like 2

Andy I have ballasted SMP and as long as you use small size ballast you will be okay its lovely track and I think that I shall convert to it in the station area on my layout hope you get on okay,think my mojo for modelling will be back after my visit  to Glasgow.

As for ballast, I have used one of those dispenser things, works well on Peco track, but not so good on SMP as it fouls the chairs.

Hi Andy,

Probably too late now but a few of us on RMweb use the Glue, Lay and Ballast all in one method. Have a look on the first page http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=937668 of CQ or on Larry's (Coachman) thread. It works even better with SMP due to the thinner sleepers. I pinched the idea from Trains12 (Peter) when i saw how easy it is to do.

Ray.

Thanks LMSforever, Jules and Ray, I've never had a problem with a neat job on Peco but I need to experiment with SMP / Self Build Points, I have seen yours Ray, and Peter's, and Gordon's and its fine as long as you can lay it, paint it and then re lay it with ballast.

I will have a play around next week as I want to try different methods.

Cheers for all your tips and advice Guys.

Andy

Just catching up after being away on business. Good to see you getting some mojo back. Its only a hobby and at times BbBrighton's 5 year gestation period seemed a lifetime. I found/still find trying to keep a layout blog going while building very hard to keep, so I concentrated for long periods on simply building the layout and doing periodic updates. I think the longest period was around 6 months! As the others say back burner it if necessary.

Evening Dave, I don't think it was so much the Mojo as the trepidation of having to ballast between each sleeper as Jason has done on Bacup, but after a few days off, and also re planning what I really want on Bitton, i.e. to run it in the 70's / 80's and have Colour Light Signalling etc. then I am more inclined to get it done BUT AT A SLOWER PACE.

I do have a back up, but more of that in a post in a mo.

Cheers.

• Like 5

Hi Andy,

Taking a break eh!?!?

Never mind, great to see you're up to something. I am late as usual getting to know what's been happening as my desktop computer died a death so got a new one which would not switch on!!!! Replacement arrived yesterday so missed all the action trying to set the bleeding thing up. 

Playing trains tonight so pics may.............I say 'may' just be on later. Look after yourself mate.

Mike, Glad you've been turned on at last, :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  sorry cant say that :O  :no:  :no: . Anyway yes its now in the Blue Period and its all your fault for running that damed peak the other week, ahhahha. 

I'll be over to Dent shortly, (Special Interest / Settle and Carlisle Section / DENT) well worth a good look.

Edited by Andrew P

Just to say that although nothing positive has been done on Bitton today, the rest has done me good.

But I have made a start on a little Light relief.

It will probably be called Buckfast, and based on the Wine collection that the Local Monks from the Abbey produced in great volume.

When I first read that I thought you were drinking it :no:

I must say Mr P, from being a bit down earlier in the week you don't 'arf bounce back with style :sungum:

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1

Andrew P on 13 Feb 2015 - 21:26, said...I have made a start on a little Light relief.

It will probably be called Buckfast, and based on the Wine collection that the Local Monks from the Abbey produced in great volume.

I must say Mr P, from being a bit down earlier in the week you don't 'arf bounce back with style :sungum:

Yes really great to see you back .... and with a project!

Andy: I need to pass you on a little late 1930s background research on those monks.

My dad worked out of one of those green corrugated iron Shell-BP depots in Bow, East London before the war.

It was on the canal opposite a tall Victorian brick building. Lighters used to arrive and be loaded by hoist lowering cases labelled "Made and bottled by the monks of Buckfastleigh Abbey Devon".

Just a little tonic to "Fortify the over Forties" ha ha ha

dh

• Like 3

Yes really great to see you back .... and with a project!

Andy: I need to pass you on a little late 1930s background research on those monks.

My dad worked out of one of those green corrugated iron Shell-BP depots in Bow, East London before the war.

It was on the canal opposite a tall Victorian brick building. Lighters used to arrive and be loaded by hoist lowering cases labelled "Made and bottled by the monks of Buckfastleigh Abbey Devon".

Just a little tonic to "Fortify the over Forties" ha ha ha

dh

Morning DH, When Dee and I lived in Buckafstleigh and later Buckfast we visited Buckfast Abbey a few times and came home with a bottle or two. Our next door neighbour had a Brother who was one of the Monks, and they would frequently come into our Video / Music Shop and have a chat.

Cheers for your info.

• Like 7

Afternoon Andy,

Hope you are taking things easy today. As a bit of a wine connoisseur, I have to say that I would rename the Buckfast Abbey's output : 'Chateau Underseal' - just a personal comment.

My wine tutor, many years ago now, taught me that 'the best wine in the world is the wine that you like best in the world' and I have to say that they all seem to taste better by about

the third glass HaHaHa! :jester:

I wondered what you had done with those lovely cottages as I can remember you acquiring them! A great start for a period piece - the Dartmoor scenery should fun to model too?

Make sure that Dee and you have a good weekend,

Kind regards,

Jock.  

• Like 5

Morning Buddy.

Hope you are well today and taking things easy ?  before work yesterday while SWMBO was out shopping l typed in Class 47 into you-tube, what l saw really took me back to our spotting day in the 80s - 90s please DON'T look as it will change your life forever hahaha

Inspired George        

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 9

Hi Andy.

Good to see that Sir Bodgit is feeling refreshed and planning ahead for future challenges!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, At the moment I am playing around with some ideas, firstly on Ballast and secondly on some new scenic, I have just watches the BRM DVD and was impressed with the two new products for CLEAN mess free instant ballasting so one of these products, or maybe both will be used on Bitton.

• Like 5

Morning Buddy.

Hope you are well today and taking things easy ?  before work yesterday while SWMBO was out shopping l typed in Class 47 into you-tube, what l saw really took me back to our spotting day in the 80s - 90s please DON'T look as it will change your life forever hahaha

Inspired George        

Well George! That was 50 mins well spent. I visited the East Lancs Rly. today just for a change as the weather was quite nice but was somewhat disappointed with the offerings. We had the recently refurbished Crab in LMS Crimson Lake livery and 'Bubble Car' W55000 in BR Blue on the general service trains which were sparse given the time of year, then later in the afternoon we had the L&Y 0-6-0 No.12322 in LMS black on the dining train, okay for some, I just had fish-n-chips in 'Rammy' which was marvellous! Anyway, what I'm taking forever to say is I really appreciated the 47's and watched the whole thing uninterrupted, that was marvellous too. Cheers for that.

• Like 2

Evening all, here are a couple of pics of the Ballast I've been playing around with.

Gaugemaster's new OO ballast which seems to be almost like the old N ballast.

post-9335-0-53511700-1424033268_thumb.jpg

I painted a thin layer of Copydex to see how it would go, I then laid the track and ballasted over the top, hovering off the excess after about 10 mins.

post-9335-0-05978400-1424033424_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-28997800-1424033450_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-77666200-1424033462_thumb.jpg

Not to bad, BUT the track is already laid through the Station so I may use this method on the remaining track laying.

• Like 18

Hi Andy,
Nice to see you with a positive slant again. But remember, take it easy. I've just read a post of yours on Peter Midwinter's layout topic, it said,

"Now don't forget, take it easy..........." :declare:

Nice way to ballast the glue the track and ballast down together isn't it. I've used PVA myself, but I've been very pleased with the results.
I think we all have a different view and opinion on ballast colour, but it would be a poor world if we all liked the same eh???

Great test piece.

Jinty ;-)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 3