Hi Hal

It was me :sungum: :sungum:

Noise from a model loco is something I personally do not like. I am happy to be in a gang of one on this as I am not out to convert anyone who enjoys sound with their trains.

Thanks for all of that valuable information, Andy.

It's funny, but when you are comparatively new to the hobby/obsession, but are also a "mature citizen", it's quite wonderful growing with new material. It effects your lifestyle in a way that the young would not appreciate. It's difficult to describe, but there is a feeling of expanding youth in the jaded old bones. Make any sense?

(Probl'y not :blush:).

Hal 

You are not alone.  The occasional sound of a loco is ok but after awhile I think it becomes a bit monotonous, jarring almost in confined spaces.

As I said in a post a while back, I love 'em - but only for a short while, then they are actually tiring. I've a 37 with the sound turned right down and it is quite pleasant to shunt with. The sound is there, but not intrusive. 

So really, I'm not too far from Clive. I enjoy the radio while I play, or some sixties pop. I also have a sixties Daily Mirror I leave folded next to my cuppa. Sometimes, with the right tune, and a sideways glance at the paper, a very pleasant vibe takes place. :D

Hal

Morning Guys, re the sound of sound :O  there are days when all I want is piece and quiet, so running trains with no sound is a pleasure, and this is probably more often than not. However there are also days when the sound of a Peak shuffling around a yard is a real transportation back in time.

As Clive and Mick says, sound isn't for everyone, and I'm in full agreement with that.

When I had a day at Jeff's, (Physicsman) we ran Sound Locos all day, on his Kirkby Luneside, pulling long freight trains. Then I had a day with Jason on Bacup and we spent the day shunting and generally some prototypical running, and as Jason doesn't have any sound we had a very nice quiet day and also found it stimulated the conversation as we weren't interrupted with the odd Toot Toot from a Black 5. The same was true when I visited Tony Wrights Little Bytham, all nice and quiet except for the clickity clack of the trains over the rail joints.

I turn the Volume right down for home use, A, because I prefer the tone without straining the speaker, and B, because 3 or 4 Locos running in a small wooden box would drive you mad after an hour or less.

At Exhibition its a totally different ball game, and any Exhibition Layout without sound is now, IMHO dead.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On that note, Jeff likes his sound locos LOUD. A lasting memory of my visit there is of his Brit storming round and round at top volume.

Sound locos are definitely marmite. I don't like marmite :)

• Like 4

Morning Andy,

Totally agree with Jason on the subject of sound, l will concede that sound is a must at shows these days with modern image layouts, they do make the scene, but at home they are too much and do nothing for me at all, l think when we are running our trains at home we make our own sounds come to life inside our heads...(mine anyway hahaha)

George

• Like 3

On that note, Jeff likes his sound locos LOUD. A lasting memory of my visit there is of his Brit storming round and round at top volume.

Paradoxically, I fully understand that - it's the perfect metaphor. As I've said before, I don't like sound steam as - for me - the sound underlines the lack of exhaust, etc. It is all a matter of personal preference which is exactly as it should be.

What really sells a layout for me is the quality of its scenics and structures, it's as simple as that. Oh, and I like low speed. As my layout is mostly curved a speed limit of around 50mph for expresses is the limit, which - to untutored visitors - looks slow. Shunting takes me hours!

Hal

EDIT Of course the realistic nature of  operation is very top. We all muck around privately, sometimes, but for exhibitions it is vital

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 6

I'm just good old analogue so I bang a CD in if I want sounds..................problem is they don't match the trains movement. Hahaha :jester:

edit: typo

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Not quite true re. sound levels. I like to be able to hear them - or there's no point. Maybe I'm getting old - and don't hear as well as I used to!

Anyway, only 6/72 of my locos have sound fitted. I'm quite happy to do without - irrespective of the cost factor.

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

"Well, not a lot done today..." he says!

Erm, you've almost constructed half of the station area! Maybe that's slow by your standards, Andy?  :no:  :no:

Looks good. Can't beat a view along a curved platform.

Jeff

• Like 1

That looks excellent, Andy.

It's my platforms I'm windy about. We're talking about nine coaches in length, all on curves. I'm thinking of using balsa, sanding and running complete trains slowly till I match, using a 12v car hoover as I go. The surfaces of local stations are concrete so I that'll be a challenge. I'm thinking painted panels with a lot of very, very light pastel weathering, done while studying photographs.  A challenge! :D

Hal

• Like 6

Not quite true re. sound levels. I like to be able to hear them - or there's no point. Maybe I'm getting old - and don't hear as well as I used to!

Anyway, only 6/72 of my locos have sound fitted. I'm quite happy to do without - irrespective of the cost factor.

Jeff

"Well, not a lot done today..." he says!

Erm, you've almost constructed half of the station area! Maybe that's slow by your standards, Andy?  :no:  :no:

Looks good. Can't beat a view along a curved platform.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, its was only an Hour before Lunch and the from 3pm to 5.30 ish.

I did like the sound of your Steamers, and they came out well on the Videos.

That looks excellent, Andy.

It's my platforms I'm windy about. We're talking about nine coaches in length, all on curves. I'm thinking of using balsa, sanding and running complete trains slowly till I match, using a 12v car hoover as I go. The surfaces of local stations are concrete so I that'll be a challenge. I'm thinking painted panels with a lot of very, very light pastel weathering, done while studying photographs.  A challenge! :D

Hal

Hi Hal, Long Curved Platforms are a pain to get right, mine still need a little work. Balsa sounds a good answer.

Edited by Andrew P

evening Andy,

Sorry I've been absent for a while, and just played catch-up! A close friend is extremely sick, and I have had my monthly chemo issues - I've put a couple of longish posts on ERs but wont bore you on here!

That pointwork looks soooooooooooh smooth in the video - very, very impressive when one takes into account how long you've been doing it!  

Well done mate,

Kind regards,

Jock.

evening Andy,

Sorry I've been absent for a while, and just played catch-up! A close friend is extremely sick, and I have had my monthly chemo issues - I've put a couple of longish posts on ERs but wont bore you on here!

That pointwork looks soooooooooooh smooth in the video - very, very impressive when one takes into account how long you've been doing it!  

Well done mate,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock, good to see you on here mate, I was a little concerned as to your whereabouts, but did see you elsewhere so knew all was fairly well. 

I hope the Chemo went O.K. and will find ER and have a catch up there.

I'm really pleased with the Points, not as tidy as they could / should be, but once painted and ballasted it will be O.K.

Hi Jeff, its was only an Hour before Lunch and the from 3pm to 5.30 ish.

Jeff would have been using 4x2's, half lap joints and dovetails in all that under platform bracing, half a ton of 6 inch nails and a bit of brick and mortar where he could get away with it.  Mind you it would probably last longer than the real Bitton did. :jester:

Jeff would have been using 4x2's, half lap joints and dovetails in all that under platform bracing, half a ton of 6 inch nails and a bit of brick and mortar where he could get away with it.  Mind you it would probably last longer than the real Bitton did. :jester:

But Andy would use 9 inch nails if he had any left (and the glue gun)

Bloody hell Andy, can you slow up a bit please, I'm having a job to keep up!!! :O

I like the Biffo'd 33, very nice.

Yes I agree your SS Great Britain needs a good dose of weathering!!! I've got Tamar as well, which I need to give some high intensity headlamps to, and make it a bit more scruffy!!!!! ;)

Jinty ;-)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I am in a gang of one, I like marmite and don't like noisy model trains. :dontknow:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

I don't like Marmite but I like my noisy diesels. Though too many too loud is annoying I normally only have one or two going, sometimes none as I like the radio  on in the background.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 4

Morning Mick and Duncan, its amazing just how much strength you can build into the platform with a few vertical strentheners and a Hot Glue Gun, after all the LITTLE PEOPLE wont weigh that much.

• Like 5

Bloody hell Andy, can you slow up a bit please, I'm having a job to keep up!!! :O

I like the Biffo'd 33, very nice.

Yes I agree your SS Great Britain needs a good dose of weathering!!! I've got Tamar as well, which I need to give some high intensity headlamps to, and make it a bit more scruffy!!!!! ;)

Jinty ;-)

Morning Jinty, I was looking at Tamar yesterday and thinking shall I / shan't I.  Yes I will, I have some bits to weather later so may do it then, I'm not worried about the H/I Headlamp though.

• Like 1

I am in a gang of one, I like marmite and don't like noisy model trains. :dontknow:

I don't like Marmite but I like my noisy diesels. Though too many too loud is annoying I normally only have one or two going, sometimes none as I like the radio  on in the background.

Cheers Peter. 

Clive I'm glad I'm not in your gang matey, and like you Peter, I like the Radio on when I'm out there working, (Planet Rock).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Clive I'm glad I'm not in your gang matey, and like you Peter, I like the Radio on when I'm out there working, (Planet Rock).

You are welcome to the manshed any time. Marmite and sausage sandwhiches on the menu. I too like some sound when I am working on the layout, a good bit of Riot Grrl or Rockabilly are my faves at the moment. Sometimes some old fashoned punk or shoestare.

The only sound from my trains is the Tri-ang motor struggling to come alive and the clickity-clack of the coaches.

• Like 4

You are welcome to the manshed any time. Marmite and sausage sandwhiches on the menu. I too like some sound when I am working on the layout, a good bit of Riot Grrl or Rockabilly are my faves at the moment. Sometimes some old fashoned punk or shoestare.

The only sound from my trains is the Tri-ang motor struggling to come alive and the clickity-clack of the coaches.

You can't beat the smell of those old Tri-ang motors, probably not good for you though.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Morning Mick and Duncan, its amazing just how much strength you can build into the platform with a few vertical strentheners and a Hot Glue Gun, after all the LITTLE PEOPLE wont weigh that much.

I'm a great fan of the hot glue gun, especially for scenic supports. Although my tops will be paper-covered balsa the supports will be card. A local Art shop gives me sack loads of mounting board offcuts, which are ideal for many purposes and will be used for the platforms. 

Sometimes the off-cuts are quite large. When a decent size piece is mounted there is a large rectangle as waste. This is chamfered edge-wise, of course, but is still an excellent source. If anyone has a local Art shop - particularly if you have dealings with them as I do, try asking, and offer to purchase. The greedy ones might charge a small amount, but many might be free. It is top quality material, always with one white side, so it's worth a try.

OT: Mick, anyone, dumb me must have pressed a button that enables the tiny blue rectangle to appear, which deletes everything in advance of itself. I've just had it for a couple of days and it's a real pain! :( I've been trying to correct something in this sentence but it deletes the letter it appears on... (I shouldn't be allowed near a PC)

Hal

• Like 1