Nice video Andy,

I have Bifs older class 33 which isn't quite as raspy but still really good. I had a Bachmann chip reblown with Bifs class 47 sound recently it really is pretty good, I like your SWD sound though. It's good to have a bit of variety. They run well through your pointwork too nice work.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Morning Andy,

Just run the video and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've just one green 47 at the moment (there will be more!) Now I know the right route to take, soundwise.

While I'm here - forgive me if you've covered it previously - I've two Bachmann sound 25s. Any advice on the best option for these? - assuming the aren't up to scratch. I honestly wouldn't know. It's all new to me. It's 1960's on my layout (3 x 40s, one with sound) and the green diesels are emerging quickly. 

do like sound diesels! Someone on another thread dismissed them all as tinny... Whatever the view, if we assume our average hearing-distance is the same as our average viewing distance - on average, 300' - I think the bass would be massively reduced in any event?...

Hal

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Must be said, when I still lived at home, I could hear trains going over Arnside Viaduct and accelerating through the station, almost two miles away (at night anyway, no other background noise other than birds on the estuary). The bass really sticks in my memory more than anything else.

Could also, on a clear and still night, hear the AC electrics on the WCML four miles away and on the other side of a rather large hill. They sounded crap though :)

• Like 5

Must be said, when I still lived at home, I could hear trains going over Arnside Viaduct and accelerating through the station, almost two miles away (at night anyway, no other background noise other than birds on the estuary). The bass really sticks in my memory more than anything else.

Could also, on a clear and still night, hear the AC electrics on the WCML four miles away and on the other side of a rather large hill. They sounded crap though :)

Interesting, Jason. Must confess I can't recall the last time I heard the prototype. Class 2s used to shunt Backworth Colliery, etc, but that was decades ago, and I didn't like diesels then. Now - as I keep saying - in model terms (not prototype, Jock) I prefer them. As you mentioned once before, I can play trains if nowt else. So, a Deltic on the up fast, a 40 on the down fast, DMUs on both slows, and a 25/37 shunting the yard. Bliss! 

Hal

• Like 6

I recall the sounds all too well especially the idling which drivers left running filling the depot with fumes, we used to wait till they were just heading into the corridor and call them back saying they had forgot something, when the came back asking what, we would 'switch the bloo*dy thing off' They got quite knarcky at times, don't know why!

I do know why Jason could hear things on Arnside viaduct and the WCML.....................Have you seen the ears?!...............Say no more Hahahaha- Hehehe :jester:

Hi Andy,

Interesting that you started trainspotting in 77, that would be about the time when I started to get 'serious' and I well remember the huge excitement if any of 'us' ever saw a (still) green loco, what a treat! Then from humble beginnings in 1978(?) until about 1983/4 the large logo "revised blue" was the best treat around until RF red stripe and IC executive started coming out, they were good times but followed quite quickly by the loss of so many favourite types and then dummy privvytisation - ugh! By the time 1990 rolled around, I had gone into a twenty plus year long love affair with US railroads.

While I admit the current scene is slightly better than say, ten years ago, I do find it awfully bland and samey which is why for the UK, I still prefer the green diesel era or even earlier steam days!

Anyway, forgive my ramblings!

Those sound fitted diesels do sound great to me, I love the little Sulzers, characterful locos.

To Answer Hal's question, I find Bachmann's noisy 24/25 to be pretty good really with a lovely tickover.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

Morning Andy,

Just run the video and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've just one green 47 at the moment (there will be more!) Now I know the right route to take, soundwise.

While I'm here - forgive me if you've covered it previously - I've two Bachmann sound 25s. Any advice on the best option for these? - assuming the aren't up to scratch. I honestly wouldn't know. It's all new to me. It's 1960's on my layout (3 x 40s, one with sound) and the green diesels are emerging quickly. 

do like sound diesels! Someone on another thread dismissed them all as tinny... Whatever the view, if we assume our average hearing-distance is the same as our average viewing distance - on average, 300' - I think the bass would be massively reduced in any event?...

Hal

Hi Hal, well from my experience the early Bachmann Sound 25's with the 3.5 Chip was very good, but unfortunately the Version 4 Chip has a couple of small problems, the first being that the Loco moves when you increase the controller, THEN you hear the brakes come off and the engine revs rising, which all seems to be the wrong way round.

My Green 25 was a None fitted 25 and then I installed a South West Digital Version 4 chip, where as my Blue one is a Bachmann factory Sound Chip, re blown by SWD to be correct.

Another thing to do, and something that hasn't been done yet on the 33 OR 47 in the Video is to reduce the volume, because its A, better at home and B, because it actually gives a much deeper sound as it reduces the strain on the speaker.

Likewise, if you can replace the standard speaker with a Bass Reflex, or Bass Enhanced Speaker it will also help the sound.

I hope this all helps a bit.

BTW my 44 is a Bachmann Factory fit and that too moves before the brakes come off or the revs rise.

• Like 1

Evening Jason, its always said that you shouldn't so much hear the Bass as feel it in a Band, and the same will apply to the sound your hearing, the Bass notes will resonate through the ground and its that feeling that your hearing, if that makes any sense.

If you listen to Rock Music or even Drum and Bass, turn it up and you'll FEEL THE BASS coming through your bones.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Hal, well from my experience the early Bachmann Sound 25's with the 3.5 Chip was very good, but unfortunately the Version 4 Chip has a couple of small problems, the first being that the Loco moves when you increase the controller, THEN you hear the brakes come off and the engine revs rising, which all seems to be the wrong way round.

My Green 25 was a None fitted 25 and then I installed a South West Digital Version 4 chip, where as my Blue one is a Bachmann factory Sound Chip, re blown by SWD to be correct.

Another thing to do, and something that hasn't been done yet on the 33 OR 47 in the Video is to reduce the volume, because its A, better at home and B, because it actually gives a much deeper sound as it reduces the strain on the speaker.

Likewise, if you can replace the standard speaker with a Bass Reflex, or Bass Enhanced Speaker it will also help the sound.

BTW my 44 is a Bachmann Factory fit and that too moves before the brakes come off or the revs rise.

Hi Andy, I had a similar problem with one of my kettles, the lok3.5 was pretty good, but when I bought the same sound project in a lok4 it was naff. Will have to get it reblown at some stage.

Ray.

Morning Andy,

Hal

Hi Tony!

I recently acquired a green Bachmann 24 with a Bif chip running through the standard speaker, which, given Andy's examples will soon be replaced with a bass reflex speaker. Definitely the way to go! The difference is awesome!

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Tony!

I recently acquired a green Bachmann 24 with a Bif chip running through the standard speaker, which, given Andy's examples will soon be replaced with a bass reflex speaker. Definitely the way to go! The difference is awesome!

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill, I think you'll find Charlie / Biff do a Belly Tank speaker kit for that, and it makes life a lot easier and a better sound coming DOWN onto the track.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Hi Bill, I think you'll find Charlie / Biff do a Belly Tank speaker kit for that, and it makes life a lot easier and a batter sound coming DOWN onto the track.

Thanks for the info Andy, it will certainly make life much easier! Same for my two Heljan Clayton 17's. You can barely fit a chip into those things in the first place(they end up dangling down the side of the engine block!). The belly tanks are the only place with space to fit a speaker.

It's just struck me that given their real-life reliability record it might just be easier leaving them stuck in a siding somewhere! Realism and cost effective!

Regards

Bill

• Like 4

Hi Tony!

Regards

Bill

Nice to see you around again, fellow Artist. ;)

Tony aka Hal aka  - I dunno, some b#gger else.

In a Just William book he told the gang that his Auntie was coming to visit and she was turning into a sea-lion. (He'd misheard his parents saying she was turning senile.) Well, I'm turning into a sea-lion. ;)

Thanks for the info Andy, it will certainly make life much easier! Same for my two Heljan Clayton 17's. You can barely fit a chip into those things in the first place(they end up dangling down the side of the engine block!). The belly tanks are the only place with space to fit a speaker.

It's just struck me that given their real-life reliability record it might just be easier leaving them stuck in a siding somewhere! Realism and cost effective!

Regards

Bill

Em... Careful they don't catch fire!

• RMweb Premium

The trouble with the Bachmann chips is they have used the V3.5 project on a V4 chip - hence they don't work properly with the mis-timed sounds.  I got a 44 cheap (probably because the sound issues are known) and had Biff re-blow it, it sounds really good.  As a one time engineer I am picky about engine sounds - I was trained to really LISTEN to them - and the Biff 44 is spot on.  Not expensive for a re-blow, and worth every penny IMHO.

The trouble with the Bachmann chips is they have used the V3.5 project on a V4 chip - hence they don't work properly with the mis-timed sounds.  I got a 44 cheap (probably because the sound issues are known) and had Biff re-blow it, it sounds really good.  As a one time engineer I am picky about engine sounds - I was trained to really LISTEN to them - and the Biff 44 is spot on.  Not expensive for a re-blow, and worth every penny IMHO.

Thanks Neil, I will consider getting both of mine (44005 D27) done in time, once more of the layout is up and running.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy,

Hal

Hi Hal

It was me :sungum: :sungum:

Noise from a model loco is something I personally do not like. I am happy to be in a gang of one on this as I am not out to convert anyone who enjoys sound with their trains.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

Evening Jason, its always said that you shouldn't so much hear the Bass as feel it in a Band, and the same will apply to the sound your hearing, the Bass notes will resonate through the ground and its that feeling that your hearing, if that makes any sense.

If you listen to Rock Music or even Drum and Bass, turn it up and you'll FEEL THE BASS coming through your bones.

I think that trying to fit a Marshall Amp and Tannoy Speakers in to your 47 to get the bass is a little beyond even you Andy :jester:

• Like 1

Thanks for all of that valuable information, Andy.

It's funny, but when you are comparatively new to the hobby/obsession, but are also a "mature citizen", it's quite wonderful growing with new material. It effects your lifestyle in a way that the young would not appreciate. It's difficult to describe, but there is a feeling of expanding youth in the jaded old bones. Make any sense?

(Probl'y not :blush:).

Hal 

• Like 1

Noise from a model loco is something I personally do not like. I am happy to be in a gang of one on this as I am not out to convert anyone who enjoys sound with their trains.

You are not alone.  The occasional sound of a loco is ok but after awhile I think it becomes a bit monotonous, jarring almost in confined spaces.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 3

You are not alone.  The occasional sound of a loco is ok but after awhile I think it becomes a bit monotonous, jarring almost in confined spaces.

As I said in a post a while back, I love 'em - but only for a short while, then they are actually tiring. I've a 37 with the sound turned right down and it is quite pleasant to shunt with. The sound is there, but not intrusive. 

So really, I'm not too far from Clive. I enjoy the radio while I play, or some sixties pop. I also have a sixties Daily Mirror I leave folded next to my cuppa. Sometimes, with the right tune, and a sideways glance at the paper, a very pleasant vibe takes place. :D

Hal

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 4