Hi Jason, Peter, Hal, Mike, Mick and Will, Fear not Steam is not being abolished, but the Blue Period is what I remember from 77 (THAT'S 1977 not 1877), onwards and so when in private running that will be my preferred period. 

I can still, as you have all said run things like TTA's and TEA's pus a good variety of freight as I have seen Blue Large Logo 47 and 56's delivering Coal to Chichester Yard in 16T Minerals and also at the same period (in my lunch hours) I would see LL 56's with a couple of Cargowagons in tow for Bartholemews in Chichester.

There would have also been things like the Pollybulks around at that time as well and still Brown Vans in abundance as can be seen in this link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94817-wr-london-division-freight-oxford-photos/

Hi Jason, Peter, Hal, Mike, Mick and Will, Fear not Steam is not being abolished, but the Blue Period is what I remember from 77 (THAT'S 1977 not 1877), onwards and so when in private running that will be my preferred period. 

I can still, as you have all said run things like TTA's and TEA's pus a good variety of freight as I have seen Blue Large Logo 47 and 56's delivering Coal to Chichester Yard in 16T Minerals and also at the same period (in my lunch hours) I would see LL 56's with a couple of Cargowagons in tow for Bartholemews in Chichester.

There would have also been things like the Pollybulks around at that time as well and still Brown Vans in abundance as can be seen in this link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94817-wr-london-division-freight-oxford-photos/

To me it is the setting which matters the most, what stock and locos operate in that setting is immaterial in my opinion. :senile:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a picture somewhere in a book of (I think from memory anyway!) a 9f (or was it a Black 5) and a class 25 hauling a rake of 100 ton tankers

Heysham to Leeds tankers via Carnforth by any chance? No idea why they attached a Type 2 as a pilot; the 9F must have been pushing the bloody thing as well as having to haul the tankers :)

Heysham to Leeds tankers via Carnforth by any chance? No idea why they attached a Type 2 as a pilot; the 9F must have been pushing the bloody thing as well as having to haul the tankers :)

At Skipton so probably and it was TTA's with a 25 and a 9f and a Black 5 on it's own on 100 ton tankers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No layout need be set in any particular year. I doubt Bitton changed much from 1958 until 1980.  This leaves Bodge here with scope to run almost anything pre fag packet derogatory term for anything post nationalization  livery.

Would recommend studying the why-is-this-so-rarely-modeled thread to anyone who isn't familiar with it.

Got to agree with Mike about the sweeping curves, pure skill Andy!

• Like 3

No layout need be set in any particular year. I doubt Bitton changed much from 1958 until 1980.  This leaves Bodge here with scope to run almost anything pre fag packet derogatory term for anything post nationalization  livery.

Would recommend studying the why-is-this-so-rarely-modeled thread to anyone who isn't familiar with it.

Got to agree with Mike about the sweeping curves, pure skill Andy!

Thanks Shaun, that's one reason I liked Bitton as a plan, its perfect for my Shed and there will be NO strait track in the scenic section so the long Coal and Van Trains, (about 20 to 27) will look the biz.

As for the eras, well yes almost anything goes, I've just been watching a Video from 1990 on Castleton Road, and it was mainly Semaphore, Blues, Railfreight, Three Tone Grey, and RES, and a lot of short Speedlink and Enterprise workings, so I have loads of scope with Bitton because even the Station wouldn't have changed that much, if open at all, so JUST LONG HEAVY FREIGHT OPERATION.

lovely.

• Like 5

I've just been looking at some of the Stock I had on Kingsmill that I could do with on Bitton for the later Period, I will run to about 1998 ish so into the Sector Liveries, Speedlink and Enterprise etc.

So some stock I wish I still had.

post-9335-0-67227700-1422308927_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-13183900-1422308985_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-79918500-1422309046_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-63767700-1422309076_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-37069200-1422309106.jpg

post-9335-0-49332900-1422309140_thumb.jpg

I can still get a Dutch 31 but I need to check the chassis first.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Enjoyed your TV moments! That nice sweeping curve is superb mate, bet your glad you took the plunge into handbuilt track, I like you always feared the thought but the difference speaks volumes.

Keep it up - but take your time! You get my drift I hope. (Grass by the weekend then)

Mike,

I agree and have also had the privilege of running locomotives on it ... its a great run!

Cheers, Peter 

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

I just spotted a nice looking 50' in the last shot, so that's it you sod! I'm getting one for Dent. Its got to be D' prefixed though. I have just checked my allocations listings and I can only legitimately run between D400 & D432 as those were the loco's which entered service up till the end of steam, there were no 50's entering in August 68' at all!

I would have loved to have had D444 as it was my most sought after of the class and it was a model I scratchbuilt in 1968 on a Hornby EE Type 3 chassis' as it was then. I took some thin steel sheet and bent and formed it at college then carved the cabs out from hardwood with windows and all sorts, glued and filled the joints then painted it with REAL BR Blue from St.Rollox! It cost me more in Letraset transfers than it did in anything else as there were not enough '4's on the sheet! I remember it so very well but there is a dark side to this story......

D400 17/06/1968 NEW D05 Stoke Division
D432 13/07/1968 NEW D05 Stoke Division
  • Like 6

Hi Andy,

I just spotted a nice looking 50' in the last shot, so that's it you sod! I'm getting one for Dent. Its got to be D' prefixed though. I have just checked my allocations listings and I can only legitimately run between D400 & D432 as those were the loco's which entered service up till the end of steam, there were no 50's entering in August 68' at all!

I would have loved to have had D444 as it was my most sought after of the class and it was a model I scratchbuilt in 1968 on a Hornby EE Type 3 chassis' as it was then. I took some thin steel sheet and bent and formed it at college then carved the cabs out from hardwood with windows and all sorts, glued and filled the joints then painted it with REAL BR Blue from St.Rollox! It cost me more in Letraset transfers than it did in anything else as there were not enough '4's on the sheet! I remember it so very well but there is a dark side to this story......

D400 17/06/1968 NEW D05 Stoke Division

D432 13/07/1968 NEW D05 Stoke Division

Mike, You mean something like this?

post-9335-0-03501000-1422311059_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Mike, You mean something like this?

attachicon.gif50018 Resaloution.JPG

Very NIce Andy - But its not a 'D' prefix example and shock-horror its named into the bargain, I do love it though.

When the 50's were introduced in 1967 I was never away from 66A Polmadie MPD where they got a quick turnaround before heading back to Crewe. I remember the pristine livery on each one as it graced either Glasgow Central Station or the depot then of course came the service acceleration in advance of electrification with Double-Headers a regular sight. I had a few trips behind those services and speed was fantastic 'at the time'. I recall a single night service from Glasgow which picked up the Edinburgh portion at Carstairs, when I got out at Carlisle for a wander whilst parcels were being loaded (remember that) we had 18 bogies on! Fantastic times.

• Like 5

Morning Lads (and the odd LASS) I'm of to pick up the Missis this morning,(after 3 peaceful modelling days), and hopefully when I get back this afternoon, I can make a start on some weathering ready for the weekend.

I've been held up with the 47 Sound Chip as it was faulty and so has to be returned, this is the first faulty sound chip I've ever had, and the 33 I've ordered I'm now picking up at Stafford as there's no hurry for that one as its to far out of era for Deesdale.

I'm still waiting for SOME BITS to arrive to finish off the SPECIAL but it will be at Stafford and working with or without the EXTRA BITS.

I will be back on here tonight after Club.

Morning Lads (and the odd LASS) I'm of to pick up the Missis this morning,(after 3 peaceful modelling days), and hopefully when I get back this afternoon, I can make a start on some weathering ready for the weekend.

I've been held up with the 47 Sound Chip as it was faulty and so has to be returned, this is the first faulty sound chip I've ever had, and the 33 I've ordered I'm now picking up at Stafford as there's no hurry for that one as its to far out of era for Deesdale.

I'm still waiting for SOME BITS to arrive to finish off the SPECIAL but it will be at Stafford and working with or without the EXTRA BITS.

I will be back on here tonight after Club.

- "I beg your pardon! - Why must us lasses be odd!"   :O

(Hang around... I'm a bit senile... I'll just check something... Oh, it seems I don't qualify for lass after all. Odd? Yes, but not the other.

If I may be OT for a second, there's a layout that is new to me (but probably not to everyone else) - SHENSTON ROAD. It's making me list my steamers for sale! (two sound black fives, anyone?)

Sorry for the interruption.   :blush:

Hal 'o the Steamless

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Shuffle the layout over to the proper side if the Pennines, re number those Fives as Carnforth, Lostock Hall or Rose Grove ones and they would fit in perfectly with BR blue and green (Including Hoovers). Steam was still in daily use, mainly on Target goods, into August '68. You wouldn't even need to go overboard with weathering them as enthusiasts were cleaning them at every opportunity.

Apparently, very late in July '68, when a DMU failed, a crew from Carnforth managed to do a run to Windermere in a Black Five, only to find that the turntable had been removed the previous week, resulting in a tender first return to Lancaster down the WCML at up to 70mph.

• Like 7

Forgive me, Andy, but of passing interest, I quote the photographer Trevor Ermel: - 

Visits to Tyneside by Carlisle-based engines were fairly common at this time, such as 'Black Five' No 44674 in Low Fell Yard on 2nd June (below). Strangely enough I had 'copped' this loco at the same spot the previous month. 

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page69.htm

So I have some excuse! 

Hal

(delete at will, Andy :) )

EDIT: I've been trying for weeks to contact Trevor via David Hey, but with no response. I think poor Mr Hey is pestered to death by the likes of me and is unable to respond to the huge number of observations and questions he is bombarded with.

I think the date was March '65.

• Like 8

Hal, lovely image and that's the railway I remember! Nice depiction of manual point control, which most turnouts in the shed yard at Hurlford 67B were operated by.

Andy, wonder if any of your Bitton points would have been operated thus? If so, Mike over on the 'Thorburn's' thread has modelled them convincingly and added supplier information - well worth a look. Hope your club visit is fun.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Personally, I'll always love steam the most. I was eleven in 1959 when I went to school in Newcastle, passing Heaton 52B twice daily - it was there I first saw Hal!

As I've mentioned before, it was running a few sound-steam locos that made me unhappy about the accompanying lack of explosive exhaust. Something snapped. I still love to run all my A class pacifics, to watch the poetry of their motion, but... 

I do enjoy playing trains, Jason. My layout - such as it is - is four-track main so I can hypnotise myself peacefully. Often it's steam hauled freight on the slow up/down and diesel hauled passengers on the fast.  Or an A1 circulating opposite a noisy Deltic .The racket from the diesels makes up for the others. ;)

Hal

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That could well have been the case - being one of those Derby Sulzer things  attached to a proper size train it had probably been overcome by the task and the 9F had been put there to rescue the day.

• Like 4

Shuffle the layout over to the proper side if the Pennines, re number those Fives as Carnforth, Lostock Hall or Rose Grove ones and they would fit in perfectly with BR blue and green (Including Hoovers). Steam was still in daily use, mainly on Target goods, into August '68. You wouldn't even need to go overboard with weathering them as enthusiasts were cleaning them at every opportunity.

Apparently, very late in July '68, when a DMU failed, a crew from Carnforth managed to do a run to Windermere in a Black Five, only to find that the turntable had been removed the previous week, resulting in a tender first return to Lancaster down the WCML at up to 70mph.

Hi jason,

I remember reading about this in Steam World, there was even a pic of the Black Five running tender first with some MK1s in tow. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 5

- "I beg your pardon! - Why must us lasses be odd!"   :O

(Hang around... I'm a bit senile... I'll just check something... Oh, it seems I don't qualify for lass after all. Odd? Yes, but not the other.

If I may be OT for a second, there's a layout that is new to me (but probably not to everyone else) - SHENSTON ROAD. It's making me list my steamers for sale! (two sound black fives, anyone?)

Sorry for the interruption.   :blush:

Hal 'o the Steamless

Yes I know what you mean Hal, I have a Brand New Black 5 with Factory Sound for sale in the classifieds as well.

• Like 1