Pdk 47xx my new project

B15nac

• RMweb Gold

Completely different boilers. 47xx used a Standard no.7, whilst the "King" had a no.15.

Ah, I see, sorry I misinterpreted a part of the wikipedia entry:

"Churchward had proposed fitting the 6ft diameter boiler used on his 4700 Class 2-8-0 on to a 4-6-0 chassis in 1919 to create a more powerful express locomotive, but had been prevented from doing so due to weight restrictions on several bridges on the GWR main line.[1]"

I see that the King had a new and different design of boiler further down the article.

Note to self: read the whole article!

Ah, I see, sorry I misinterpreted a part of the wikipedia entry:

"Churchward had proposed fitting the 6ft diameter boiler used on his 4700 Class 2-8-0 on to a 4-6-0 chassis in 1919 to create a more powerful express locomotive, but had been prevented from doing so due to weight restrictions on several bridges on the GWR main line.[1]"

I see that the King had a new and different design of boiler further down the article.

Note to self: read the whole article!

Thing is, the weight restrictions referred to also affected the "King" later on, and it was only when those bridges were rebuilt / strengthened / modified to take the 22.5ton axleloading that the "King" finally got the go-ahead.

Fixed the cab on properly today with overlays also got smoke box saddle in place! Going to order the wheels next what size Romford's do I need for the driving wheels an front pony? I no the drivers are 5'8" on the prototype but what's that in model size?

post-15503-0-63171600-1407942434_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-57509500-1407942452_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-25530400-1407942464_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-49925300-1407942476_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Been on mainly trains an they have 22.7mm 18 spoke gwr wheels does that sound right? Can't find 22.5 mm on there.

Cheers Neil

Assuming they are actually in stock, those sound like the ones you need. With Mainly Trains now edging closer to retirement, I'd surmise there's quite a bit of panic-buying going on...

Hi B15anc,

Remember that many GWR classes used 5'8" driving wheels. Granges, Moguls, Manors, most of the Large Prairies and so on...

And there were variations between those, primarily small and large boss, and crankpin in-line or in-between spokes.

If you're replicating 4700-8, it's large boss, pin in-line. If you're doing the GWS's "new" 4709, it's pin-between.

Low-resistance drive, so you might even be able to get your finished 47xx to coast a little....

Sorry to sound thick again! How does low resistance work? What's special about the gearbox? I quite like the sound of it tho..

Cheers Neil

Unlike worm gears, the crossed helicals used in the Slaters box means the engine's wheels shouldn't lock up the minute you cut the power to the motor. Low resistance also means the rotation of the gears should be smooth, without much effort required fro the motor to get it all moving.

Edited by Horsetan

Thanks that's ideal. I've ordered a comet front pony today as the pdk one is a white metal arrangement an lets the kit down I think. I'm very impressed with how well this kit has fitted together though! Very nicely made parts. I've got the chassis still to bend up in to shape but I'm feeling a bit worried about doing that bit an getting it nice an square.