59003 Coming Home

• RMweb Premium

Well it's fantastic to see 003 back up and running. Hopefully it may drop onto the Stud Farm ballast from Westbury at some point, would give me half a chance of working with the entire fleet! I'm liking the chromed LED markers, reminds me a bit of the lights on customised trucks! Strange seeing a 59 with a top marker, a throw back to it's German days.

Livery wise, close but no cigar for me. All looks a bit cluttered on the front. It's nice they've kept the stars, but it could've done with either those or the number on the lower front. Both together and the Europorte logo is all a bit much. Just numbers would've looked nice, centred like 203 a few years back

IMG_0444-L.jpg

Going with the GBRf standard 'small' yellow panel, I reckon it would've looked neater including the marker light boxes. Personally, I think full height and width (Colas 66 style as a minimum) would have fitted the design better - same applies to Aggregate livery 66711 and the Tube pair.

For me, there's only one livery for a 59/0...

IMG_5285-59002-6V18-XL.jpg

jo

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks to those who've posted photographs.

I like it but feel that the windscreen surrounds look better in black, as on the Yeoman liveried version above.  And is it me or does it look as though the side panels (apparent in the top Didcot shot) are a bit dented?

cheers

Ben A.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I managed to cop 59003 whilst she was stabled in Tuebrook sidings. These were the photos I got of the loco, standing on a stepladder whilst leaning over the bridge that separates Tuebrook sidings and Edge Hill. Does anyone know the reasons why she has come up north? Some people have said it's for Drax trials, and some others have said for banking duties.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79947445@N04/21927367908/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79947445@N04/21928340329/in/dateposted-public/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I managed to cop 59003 whilst she was stabled in Tuebrook sidings. These were the photos I got of the loco, standing on a stepladder whilst leaning over the bridge that separates Tuebrook sidings and Edge Hill. Does anyone know the reasons why she has come up north? Some people have said it's for Drax trials, and some others have said for banking duties.

The latest platform end wibble is that it's for banking/dragging duties for the biomass trains from LBT

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• 2 weeks later...

Working in Liverpool yesterday and today and saw GBRF Class 59 59003 for the first time.  The loco was at Liverpool Bulk Terminal for most of the day yesterday with other GRRF Class 66's.  At one point one biomass train was top and tailed by a 66 and the 59, looked on Realtime trains but couldn't work out what the hell was going on!  Photos taken on Monday 26th October.

post-25512-0-15441100-1445975294_thumb.jpg

A bonus was also seeing the Drax biomass hoppers for the first time . . . they are quite a size!

post-25512-0-62993700-1445975342_thumb.jpg

A close up of the loco.  I do like the light set up on this 59.

post-25512-0-93683400-1445975491_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

funny how life turns out mike, your pic of the aproach to spellow station from 59003 made me think of one of my fave steam age pics of an 8f hammering out of spellow tunnel, i googled it and it bought up the image in the rmweb archive in a post written by yourself back in 2007 (about 1/2 way down the page)

http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10827

interesting that your final comment in your post is.......

"spellow station, how bout this for spooky, im going to try and get a shot of a train along here one day"

that "one day" being 7 years and 360 days later and you were in the cab (as opposed to driving a cab as i seem to remember you did back then)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

funny how that crossing is now closed but you still have to check the line isn't occupied on the block instument in a cabinet and hit the plunger for the lights before setting off over it

i've still not seen 59003, ever in fact, the only one that evaded me in the 80s as a kid 

Edited by big jim

funny how that crossing is now closed but you still have to check the line isn't occupied on the block instument in a cabinet and hit the plunger for the lights before setting off over it

i've still not seen 59003, ever in fact, the only one that evaded me in the 80s as a kid 

I've noticed the drivers getting out the cab and pressing something to turn on the crossing lights.  They have installed new lights and barriers just further down now near the EWS hut.  Seems a bit of a waste having this just shuttling from the docks to Tuebrook though Jim.  How would a 59 handle these trains in relation to a 66?  Have you encountered any problems getting out of the docks when you have been down there?  I believe its some incline.  It's the only 59 I've seen!  If the rumor about Colas having 10 new Class 70's Jim maybe you will have the job of collecting them again and get chance to see 59003!!