• RMweb Gold

Nice work mate ,I do like the wooden sleepers

Brian

Thanks Brian they do look far better hence why I've decided to hand build all the track rather than use flexi on the scenic sections.

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Quite a bit done over the last couple of nights, which has resulted in the rails being painted on both 60' sections, ballasting and finally tonight with me weathering it.

I've used powders and watered down 'Gunmetal blue' paint for the oil spills.

Next job will be to seal it with Matt varnish but I'm made up so far.

57B5D621-A47A-4CA8-9512-CBD61EA59912_zps

A2E6ED10-67E1-441C-9CE4-9F1910B7063B_zps

9776844F-328B-4C02-8096-2E7FB0602924_zps

B881CA4D-82F3-4A09-9C40-C7FA6CBB5B60_zps

333762D0-284B-419E-B190-9D21CE9C9E0D_zps

18C4BAF5-040D-4BA8-B3C5-85DDFC9F278F_zps

0B4C10D7-A280-4CE7-AFD3-1B34E2A6A67C_zps

3316A902-DFF4-459B-ABF5-83153EC55EA7_zps

187981D9-4890-4F0B-BDE5-919CBAC09685_zps

Cheers, Paul

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Peter & Jinty :)

I'm made up with how it's turned out an although you can't really tell unless your really up close the grain in the wooden sleepers looks so realistic, I've posted this on the realistic thread but thought I'd post it here to.

FDEE0B5A-3BE8-49AE-90C4-2C23645D43F5_zps

E8E8FE6E-72DC-496E-8245-F6BBB6F6E289_zps

Thanks again, Paul

• Like 4

Great work Paul,some of the best track weathering I've seen ,but I'm a bit disappointed you didn't pic out the individual bolt heads :)

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Great work Paul,some of the best track weathering I've seen ,but I'm a bit disappointed you didn't pic out the individual bolt heads :)

Brian

Cheers Brian, you know what, I actually thought about painting each individual key on the chairs, then I slapped myself across the face and told myself that's just going to far behave!!!!!

Paul

That looks incredible Paul! Top work

Thanks very much mate very much appreciated :)

Cheers, Paul

"Cheers Brian, you know what, I actually thought about painting each individual key on the chairs, then I slapped myself across the face and told myself that's just going to far behave!!!!!"

I don't think you could get it any more realistic than it already is

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Very well done Paul. I am sure its noted elsewhere but can you just run through the colours you have used. Looks like my first EM kit will be here in the next couple of weeks he he he........Keith HC, Dursley

Thanks Keith :)

I've painted the rails with 'Rusty Rails', I've given them two coats, then once the ballast was down an dry, I've used Carr's 'Rail Rust' and dusted over the rails an chairs and the ballast next to the rails, I've used a small paint brush for this. I've then added black powder down the very centre of the track and in various bits along the outside, again with a small brush. Then using the Mrs's blusher (or ex blusher) brush I've dusted it all with a dark earth and black mix, this tones it all down and blends it all together.

Finally for the oil stains I've watered down some Gunmetal Blue paint and dry brushed it onto the centre of the track and along the outside.

For more oily areas such as sidings or by signals, I tend to make the gunmetal less watery and add matt black paint to it, sometimes I'll also add black powder an gloss varnish and make it into a runny oily paste.

Hope that helps and please keep asking if you would like to know anything else. If anyone wants I can do a 'How to' with photos if that will help.

Looking forward to how you get on with your first EM kit Keith.

Cheers, Paul

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 1

I was expecting a good result from you, Paul. The detail you demonstrated on the MK1 version together with finescale track was always guaranteed to give a good result.

I particularly like the way you have managed to re-create the rust staining on the ballast below the rail- I have not seen that done before (and having tried it with an airbrush, I know it's not easy to achieve- so I will try your method).

As for painting bolts and keys- there's nothing to stop you picking out a couple of chairs and painting their bolt heads in silver and the key in off-white to look like a couple of modern replacement parts. Are you planning to "paint" the fish plates as well?

Very impressed with this.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Derek, when ELJ's finished I might start picking out the keys and bolts ;) I've brushed the fishplates with the gunmetal blue but I'll wait till all the track on this board is finished and I'll oil some of them up.

This is my favourite part of track building, I find it really difficult using paints Derek but the rust powder works great, use that first though as it's quite loud, it can then be toned down with the blacks an earth etc.

I'm going to thoroughly test the points and maybe double up

On the droppers, (yep I'm paranoid of running difficulties) then I'll ballast and weather them up, then it'll be time to build the diamond (cold shiver).

Thanks again, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive, the weathering on the track is superb. Excellent modelling.

Your perseverance has certainly paid off as the results are first class.

Thanks very much for the kind words :)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

What did you use for ballast?

Marc

Evening Marc, for the ballast I've used a mix of sand (borrowed from the local sandunes ;) ) and CB Models fine granite chippings.

I scatter a fine layer of sand between the sleepers then add the ballast compacting it down with the end of a small paint brush, the effect I was looking for is a well used and compact ballast.

1369BADB-F05B-4D62-A4D5-6EF042FAD455_zps

B64FA914-FEA8-4C1F-B4A8-1C57C89BF9CB_zps

F6D5E2E2-24B0-4FAA-A6D5-930F6DCDACD9_zps

For sidings etc more sand could be used or for a more modern track more granite chippings.

Hope that helps but keeps asking I'm more than happy to help.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very realistic which paint and powders company do you use the rails look really effective along with the ballasting I'm just about to start mine would like to hear some tips etc

Chris

Hi Chris, I've used Phoenix Precision Paints 'Rusty Rails' to paint the rails, then Carr's 'Track Rust' weathering powder, dusted across the rails an chairs. For the ballast I've used Humbrol 'Dark Earth' weathering powder an Pinnacle Pro-Effect pigments weathering powder (from eBay) I use the exhaust black and I've also got light earth. I tend to just make a mix of these till I get the right colour I'm after, for example really dark an oily for well used track etc.

Please feel free to ask if you need any help or pics of anything, more than happy to help were I can.

Thanks again for the comments, Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nothing done over the last week as I was away in sunny Wales (an it was actually sunny) for the weekend, some C&L bits are on their way so track building should commence again soon can't wait!! Oh hang on it's the diamond crossing to build :( could do with a post strike :O

Cheers, Paul