• RMweb Gold

Paul

Re your choice of track. I respectfully suggest going back and reading some of the comments on this thread and the "how real is..." thread- I think that speaks for itself. There is also a certain Scottish large station that uses similar track and like ELJ, it looks very realistic regardless.

As for the electrickery dilemma- have you thought about making one of the branches electrocuted and the other branch a diesel only line? For some odd reason I rather like coming to the end of the electrificated section and running onto diesel only.. counting down the last of the few obnoxious and ugly masts and then- back to how railways were intended.... wire free. (maybe this is a long standing memory of travelling through Carstairs as a lad). Joking aside, you do see some layouts with electrics, but I don't recall ever seeing one that shows a diesel and electric line diverging.

Anyway, keep up the excellent work. I'm sure you have been an inspiration to plenty of people.

Thanks Derek for your kind words :) really appreciated.

Sorry late reply to, I was interning to spend most the day modelling but ended up in A&E with my mum till after 9 tonight, thankfully she's ok and big thank you to all the docs n nurses in Fazackerley!! (Or Aintree as they call it these days)

Anyways back to ELJ and that's the intention, if I wire ELJ it will just be the three lines from Edgehill, the lines to Piggy will be diesel only, again it adds a bit of interest will ac locos being dragged along then returning under their own power :)

If I go for it though I'll scratch build the wires as some of the ones I've seen so far that are ready made just look far to chunky.

I've got my mojo back anyway and I'm excited again :D

Thanks again Derek

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear Mum had to test the facilities at Fazackerley - hope all OK now?

OHLE will definitelt test your sanity!

Have a look at Dagworths Ravensclyffe thread if you haven't already seen it

CHeers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear Mum had to test the facilities at Fazackerley - hope all OK now?

OHLE will definitelt test your sanity!

Have a look at Dagworths Ravensclyffe thread if you haven't already seen it

CHeers

Phil

Thanks Phil she's home and ok now :)

I'll take a look at that thread, I've been looking at the ones on Outon Road very impressive!

Thanks again, Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry I'd not noticed your posts, I've been a bit away with work, etc a bit.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your trackwork, it's laid nicely and ballasted and finished very well (I wish I could ballast trackwork to that standard). Phil is very correct as no layout is ever perfect, they are models and in my opinion they are just '3D paintings' of the real thing in various stages of time.

And weather it be a 6' x 4' filled with Hornby Dublo or a finescale 7mm masterpiece, they are only ever tools of enjoyment.

Glad your mojo is back, and sorry for the late response.

Jinty ;-)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,Sorry I'd not noticed your posts, I've been a bit away with work, etc a bit.There is absolutely nothing wrong with your trackwork, it's laid nicely and ballasted and finished very well (I wish I could ballast trackwork to that standard). Phil is very correct as no layout is ever perfect, they are models and in my opinion they are just '3D paintings' of the real thing in various stages of time.And weather it be a 6' x 4' filled with Hornby Dublo or a finescale 7mm masterpiece, they are only ever tools of enjoyment.Glad your mojo is back, and sorry for the late response.Jinty ;-)

Thanks Jinty and no worries, work and life comes first :) I've come to my senses now anyway after slapping mysekf across the face a few times ;)

Thanks again for the great compliments mate and looking forward to meeting up for our swapsies next week!!

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At last an update, not much of one but it's good to be able to of done something :)

I've added the signal pulley wires and stakes, I started making these a while back using cotton, but tonight I tried wire but it looked awful, so I've gone with the original plan.

To be honest unless you know their there you won't notice them but it's just that little bit of detail which might catch someone's eye.

I've used track pins for the stakes, painted a rusty colour.

post-18716-0-51083600-1426455841_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-11665400-1426455856_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-60349200-1426455919_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-17100100-1426455969_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-98588200-1426455999_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

They look realy good Paul,top work my mate....

Thanks Neil, I'm thinking of gluing the heads of the track pins to the stakes to replicate the pulleys, I'll have a practice go first though :)

Cheers, Paul

Paul, I may well be wrong (it is rare, but can happen) but did signal wires and point rodding ever get placed in between tracks on main running lines? I know it was common in stations and low speed lines, but out on the main line, I am not so sure.

Just an observation and I'm sure others will be able to clarify.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Paul, I may well be wrong (it is rare, but can happen) but did signal wires and point rodding ever get placed in between tracks on main running lines? I know it was common in stations and low speed lines, but out on the main line, I am not so sure.

Just an observation and I'm sure others will be able to clarify.

Morning Derek, I think the answer is yep

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/happyraildays/5979445896/in/set-72157627339905422/

The joys of modelling a real location ;)

Cheers, Paul

Edited by PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Looking great

David

Thanks David, I've been off today to so managed a couple of hours this morning, I've done a bit on the box and I've cut away some of of the cab interior of the 40, I'll post some pics tonight :)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

No photos of today's work on the box but couple from a bit of tinkering with the 40. I'm made up with what I've done with it so far, lowering, extra detail etc, but there was one thing still bothering me, the cab interior! :(

Big chunky cream plastic higher than the windows!!

post-18716-0-79601400-1426540792_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-85124000-1426540836_thumb.jpg

So hacksaw and craft knife out and 15 minutes later a better looking 40!

post-18716-0-11604800-1426540979_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-81618900-1426541136_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-39990800-1426541158_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil, I've managed to finish the signal pulley stakes but couldn't get a decent photo last night and a bit more on the box is done, slowly getting there :)

6F61037F-6CEB-4C1C-9A11-528E469BE6DE_zps

Cheers, Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another hours work on the box tonight, this time the interior, no ones going to see it but I'll know it's it's there and how could I build the box without having the Beast and Chris (Edgehillsignalman) in it!!

It's time consuming but well worth the effort.

14816553-EAF8-4D53-B8BD-2DBC520E0D89_zps

C384E742-8697-48C4-8424-A1CBF0E88CD1_zps

92231BAF-06A8-4311-9D4A-2395BC804C8B_zps

14816553-EAF8-4D53-B8BD-2DBC520E0D89_zps

FDFFE17D-EC7F-415A-B7B3-4DD5515403DF_zps

And a couple of how it will look, nothing's attached yet just blue tac'd!!

2F04FDA8-B85D-4162-A48E-8D57836F1E95_zps

C2024653-8EA1-4DF7-993C-9E755AB37F33_zps

8415DBD2-B89C-40CD-9282-E9BCB2746C03_zps

Cheer, Paul

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bri I'll have to model the beast with his flowing locks pulling the points just like his photo ;)

I'll be doing full interior and lights Eric might make it so the roof can some off just incase anyone ever wants to look inside :)

Thanks again, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Its worth the trouble Paul

Abbotswood box has all the kit internally including lighting - very happy with it

Phil

Thanks Phil, I might model it so the roof can come off but not that bothered, as long as its done properly :)

Cheers, Paul

Great meeting up with Jinty and Barry this morning and I'll highly recommend Barry's shop Widnes Model Centre, what a great shop, can't wait to go back!! :D

Cheers, Paul

Yes I agree, Great meeting Paul and Barry, and WMC is great, good stocks and room to walk around too.

Jinty ;-)