Thanks Paul.

You can see it clearly in the pictures when you look- perhaps that's one of the main reasons they look so realistic- most people won't be consciously aware of the cant, but subconscious they will be.

When I did this bit of a cant, I've gone from full cant to nothing in about 3 inches. If that was real it would cause at the least, spilled coffee, and at the worst... well NR bosses wouldn't get their bonus.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul.

You can see it clearly in the pictures when you look- perhaps that's one of the main reasons they look so realistic- most people won't be consciously aware of the cant, but subconscious they will be.

When I did this bit of a cant, I've gone from full cant to nothing in about 3 inches. If that was real it would cause at the least, spilled coffee, and at the worst... well NR bosses wouldn't get their bonus.

Thanks Paul.

I can see the spilled coffee now! :D mines gradually increased over about 4', when board number three is constructed I'll take more photos of making the cant etc, but god knows when that'll be.

Hope it's helped and looking forward to seeing pics of your progress.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nothing on the layout tonight but I've finished the 08, just needs extra pickups and the windows cleaning. I had done some weathering on the Deltic but it looks pretty awful, I've got to admit it's the hardest loco to weather!!

No deltic pics but a couple of the 08.

post-18716-0-81094000-1423777522_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-96991800-1423777545_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-33169100-1423777577_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-75294000-1423777626_thumb.jpg

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm not normally a fan of heavily weathered locos, but I do like the way you have the connecting rods all greased up- that looks good.

Thanks Derek, I just love the dirty look of the late 60's and believe it or not I can't wait to weather a kettle!! It'll be getting towed to the scrappy by a nice diesel of course :D

Joking aside, I do want to have some steam make an appearance on ELJ but that's a long way off.

Thanks again for the kind words

Paul

A suggestion if I may??

Clean the dirt away from the fuel gauge and the D running number. Especially the fuel gauge. Just like you've done with the hand rails- the fuel gauge is likely to have been wiped periodically so someone could check what it had in it.

But then again, I've built a 6" plank that doesn't look right. You've built a big layout.... What do I know ;)

• RMweb Gold

A suggestion if I may??

Clean the dirt away from the fuel gauge and the D running number. Especially the fuel gauge. Just like you've done with the hand rails- the fuel gauge is likely to have been wiped periodically so someone could check what it had in it.

But then again, I've built a 6" plank that doesn't look right. You've built a big layout.... What do I know ;)

Obviously more than me ;)

Thanks Derek I'll sort that tomorrow, glad you noticed the handrails to, didn't think anyone would! :)

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One mistake some people make is to do that to ALL the handrails- the rest don't get much use (and the ladder is the same).

How about a tiny amount of silver on the step edges where the paint has worn away?

(Effing off and minding my own business now!!!)

Morning Derek, all advice greatfully received! :) to be honest though, there is a tiny amount of silver on the steps but it just hasn't shown up in the photos, to much just doesn't look right but I'll try and take a photo later :)

Thanks, Paul

Very good Paul.

Now... I think to thank you for all your advice and guidance, I am going to buy you a CARRIAGE AND LOCO WASHING PLANT.

You are right about what does or does not come out in a picture- I took a photo of my mark 2 ground scatter, which I thought looked pretty reasonable- and in a photo (using a good quality camera as well) it all came out as one single shade of green. More contrast required!

Joking aside, when you have the 350 sitting on its own it does look a little heavy weathering, but when you put it on the layout it seems to blend in better. I only have one 350 - "Liverpool St Pilot", which is un-weathered and spotless, as was the prototype for most of the time. But most 350's did become filthy.

• RMweb Gold

Nooooo I don't want clean locos ;)

Here are ELJ allocation, one Hornby (sound fitted) the other two are Bachmann, I have actually got a Lima one but that's to be a scrapped 08 missing rods and really rusted up!

I think the blue ones my favourite, still need a few more though, you can never have enough!!

Not the best photo I'm affraid.

post-18716-0-94329900-1423835896_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

I'm going the opposite extreme to you, Paul. All my planned locos are all 'celebrity' locos and as such they were always turned out immaculately. Though a layout comprised of such machines would just not look convincing. I suppose I will have to have some 'anonymous' locos to weather.

Did you weather the blue 350 there? It looks like it has been weathered in a different style, with more oil and less dusty grime.

• RMweb Gold

I'm going the opposite extreme to you, Paul. All my planned locos are all 'celebrity' locos and as such they were always turned out immaculately. Though a layout comprised of such machines would just not look convincing. I suppose I will have to have some 'anonymous' locos to weather.

Did you weather the blue 350 there? It looks like it has been weathered in a different style, with more oil and less dusty grime.

I will have some 'clean' locos I promise ;)

Yer I've weathered all my locos apart from the 2 class 20's, I haven't touched them yet, they've still got the factory weathering. There's a pretty in depth 'how to' on the blue 350 in my 'Dirty Diesel' thread, which I really need to start adding to again!! I did want that one to look more oily and I was made up how it turned out :)

Thanks again Derek

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of general photos of the layout from how it looks in the modelling room, I haven't really taken many as a layout as I try to make the photos look as realistic as possible, but I thought peeps might like em!

post-18716-0-90785000-1423858945_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-69652300-1423859445_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-03720400-1423859481_thumb.jpg

And a couple from the view of Pighue Lane bridge.

post-18716-0-53207500-1423859509_thumb.jpgpost-18716-0-67209700-1423859532_thumb.jpg

Sorry no modelling pics but just don't seem to get much time to make a start on anything at the moment.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This was one of the first pics I ever posted, Heljan xp64 D1733, I was made up with it and just loved the livery.

post-18716-0-22717300-1423911216_thumb.jpg

But two years ago I'd never heard of exploding chassis, I'd dived straight back into the hobby without any research and was buying what I thought where ebay bargains.

So two years on, xp64 liveried 1733 was brought out of her box one more time.

post-18716-0-00316500-1423911472_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-53287400-1423911486_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-96256200-1423911618_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-74588700-1423911632_thumb.jpg

I was quite shocked how quickly it had deteriorated, but I finally got the body off, which might possibly be worth trying to salvage, as for the rest I'm not sure, maybe use the motor in something else?

post-18716-0-92947300-1423911645_thumb.jpg

Ideas welcome on this one.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

Hi mate

Wow that's had some boot lol TBH I wouldn't bother with the body it's buggered lol by a cheap Lima and repaint it what's the chassis like is it cracked like the body?

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To be honest now the body is off the chassis it's probably fixable and once weathered would prob look ok, it's the chassis which has expanded exploding the body, just wondering can a chassis block be purchased and I'll just swap everything over?

I actually tried putting it in fridge to shrink the chassis to get the body off two years ago! It wouldn't budge though.

Cheers, Paul

Sorry to see that Paul

Howes models are the UK dealer for Heljan spares, although I don't believe the chassis is available as a spare.

I have to say that I agree with Brian on the Lima alternative. Yes it is work, but at least you know the plastic isn't going to expand and explode.

As for the body, I think you could salvage that. The grill might need a bit of work- or it might just close up again with only a fine crack (not unheard of on the real ones). The bit that will give a headache will be rebuildinging the cab side window frame- but you could use the Shawplan frame which is a very good etch.

How is the green one? It is a shame especially as this loco starred in that iconic photo. Still one of the most realistic photos on the internet.

Good luck.

This was one of the first pics I ever posted, Heljan xp64 D1733, I was made up with it and just loved the livery.

image.jpg

But two years ago I'd never heard of exploding chassis, I'd dived straight back into the hobby without any research and was buying what I thought where ebay bargains.

So two years on, xp64 liveried 1733 was brought out of her box one more time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was quite shocked how quickly it had deteriorated, but I finally got the body off, which might possibly be worth trying to salvage, as for the rest I'm not sure, maybe use the motor in something else?

image.jpg

Ideas welcome on this one.

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry to see the Duff with problems. And also sorry to tell you that the chassis and the body are bollo@#ed!!!!

I would strip it to bogies and towers, motor and shafts, tanks and circuit board.

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings mate.

I'll send you a PM later when I get home from work as my stupid phone won't let me!!!

Jinty ;-)