The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

Stay Out limited edition marshmallow porter from Tiny Rebel of Newport...at 18% ABV this is the ultimate version of their Stay Puft marshmallow porter...brewed at the back end of 2021 to celebrate the end of lockdown in Wales....I think this must be the strongest beer I've had to date aside from a couple of nips of the freeze distilled "beers" that Brewdog done a few years ago.

This the final of 3 cans I bought when it was released, I'd like to know how they got the ABV so high but have found no information so far...most brewing or wine yeasts will only run to 15% at most and I don't think freeze distillation was involved for various reasons.

Very smooth and drinkable anyway condsidering the slightly daft strength...and no more alcohol burn than the readily available Imperial Amplified Stay Puft at 12.8%

TRSO.jpg

• Like 3

After 3 weeks out of football convalescing from COVID at last a game of footy tonight!
    Not exactly mobile around the pitch after the Lurgi attacked my knee joints but managed the full game and scored a last minute goal to secure a 2-2 draw!
     An old favourite to celebrate bought today from the excellent House of the Trembling Madness in York today - Sam Smiths Nut Brown 5% (featured before but very nice after a hard game).

image.jpg

• Like 9

On 12/01/2022 at 14:14, BR traction instructor said:

Titanic plum porter special reserve…not a driving beer and one of the best pints currently available on draught…The Crown at Wrinehill served this one today.

BeRTIe

519433BE-0E81-4E69-9441-3E21AD0C85E0.jpeg

Went down in one then …….ok hat coat and exit :good:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Fancied a Guinness for some reason but there was none in stock when I did our online shop. Got this instead and it was rather nice:

8A974283-C8C0-4B19-AE9B-6899F8A6085C.jpeg.22ca438dea1579f80f8319edbd4ac425.jpeg

It certainly took the edge off having to sit through the final of The Masked Singer with the family… :D

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Times are increasingly hard.....

So I was pleased to see that our branch of Lidl has got Green Gecko IPA in again after a long absence.  £1.29 for 500ml, and very nice it is.

DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Now, now, behave!! At least it's not Special Brew! :lol:

Our local off licence stock a wide range of keg bottled beers but when you look more closely they have some bottle conditioned ones hiding amongst them. This week i found Kinver Brewery's Half Centurion and had too look up the brewery and found it's only just down the road in Kinver so a little trip is planned to buy some bottles of their other brews...

https://www.kinverbrewery.co.uk/

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Away with work again and in Norwich - had the Fat Cat pubs recommended by colleagues

found the Fat Cat & Canary pub near Crown Point (NC). Pizza van in car park and home brew ale on tap - what’s not to like

Tonight’s tipples

Fat Cat “T.A.B.BY”. A smooth mellow Amber ale. Moorish.

Fat Cat “Tom Cat” a very pale ale, very floral / herby taste

Wild Beer Co “millionaire milk stout” a sweet, rich but smooth milk stout.

D88A8B08-A1C6-4AD3-9B89-E4DD207E0AFC.jpeg.a0518cf169034c92fe352cb7bb265bad.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It’s Ally Pally weekend with Harkness so back in a pub again :-)

tonights it’s The Collab in Walthamstow and sampling of:

MOOSE MOUSSE - chocolate & vanilla stout, quite sweet flavour. 4.5%

Titanic Nitro stout - very smooth and mellow flavour, very drinkable. 4.5%

Signature Brew Nightliner Porter, deep rich flavour with coffee taste. 5.1%

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Been drinking in some pubs in the centre of Edinburgh, but struggling to get a decent pint of real ale, Stewarts Brewery seem to provide the most drinkable so took a few bottles home... I'm assuming that the senior members of CAMRA haven't travelled north of the border recently as they seem to be campaigning for everything except real ale these days! Talk about a beer desert, more pubs had no real ale than those that did. Pubs wise, the Kenilworth was worth the visit, as was Rose Street Brewery, HP Mathers was OK but the Grosvenor was useless, as were the others. Yes I do know of several others but we were staying in Dean Village and the hill meant i was in no mood to walk far after getting up it so the West End was our hunting ground! 

(Forgot - Captains Bar (visiting the in-laws) was good (Stewarts 80/-) and had some folk music on!)

• Like 1

They do have buses in Edinburgh!  A day ticket costs £4.50 for as many journeys as you want and a 36 would have taken you up the Queensferry Road through the West End an on to the delights that can be found in the Lothian Road and beyond.  The Cloisters in Brougham Street just off Tollcross is a well stocked watering hole before you go further up the road to take on the badlands of Morningside. 

Charlie

• Like 1

I know, I lived there for several years! I was also factoring in that beer costs 30% more as well, so didn't want to increase costs further!! The fact is that virtually every pub local to me has real ale but most pubs in Scotland don't, I know, its a lost cause!

• Friendly/supportive 1