The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

This could be interesting, it says best before the end of 2013 on the bottle, but John Keeling himself assured us it would be good well past then when we purchased this and various other Fullers bottlings at an ale show many years ago...they've been sitting in the dark & cool ageing cupboard undistubed ever since...

Brewers Reserve No2...as I understand it this is basically ESB that was aged for a couple of years in ex-Cognac oak casks and emerged at 8.2% eventually for bottling.

*On tasting...very nice indeed, quite vinous in some respects...I'm trying to rid myself of "collectors bottles" at present but feel I may miss this one.

FBR2.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, leopardml2341 said:

I know, it's craft keg......

Part of a mixed gift box from Christmas. S'ok, but that's the best I can say about it.

IMG_20220121_165918.jpg.e4c9d0d64b97a070f0cc74b0cbfc1a3f.jpg

Sorachi Ace hops are not my favourite. 

ps the radiator was not hot :)

This is a bit better.....

But it just tastes like lager with mango syrup.

Ingredients don't mention the hop variety. 

IMG_20220121_181106.jpg.3876a91c6746eecd93e3bb4ada33acd3.jpg

It's also vegan friendly; not that that's of any concern to me :D 

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 3

A wee drop of the hard stuff tonight :lol:

I picked this up during a week on Islay back in 2019....at £35 for 20cl I stood there looking at it in the distillery shop for a while before taking the plunge!

Having only recently opened it to sort of celebrate my 51st birthday I'm glad I picked it up now...somewhat sadly the last dram tonight is that shown in the photo...

bh.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/01/2022 at 18:13, leopardml2341 said:

This is a bit better.....

But it just tastes like lager with mango syrup.

Ingredients don't mention the hop variety. 

IMG_20220121_181106.jpg.3876a91c6746eecd93e3bb4ada33acd3.jpg

It's also vegan friendly; not that that's of any concern to me :D 

What is it with this need some brewers seem to have to take away the tastes of proper beer by adding some stupid ingredients? I bought some from some craft brewer in Edinburgh a few years ago (produced in a camper van or something according to his website) and some of the beers were simply vile and a complete waste of money. There are numerous different types of beer already with subtly different tastes depending on what hops, etc., the brewer uses, no need to spoil them by adding something that doesn't belong, I sometimes think that the German Beer Purity Law has a lot of merit! Leave the weird tastes to the gin drinkers, they seem to enjoy it!

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

With regard to the post above I suppose its apt to put this up...something I picked up in Sainsburys recently purely because it made me chuckle as some of the girls at work occasionally rave on about the cocktail...

In truth it was nowt special...fruity as the can said and quite well rounded, not something I'd bother with again though.

20220123_152048.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Hobby said:

What is it with this need some brewers seem to have to take away the tastes of proper beer by adding some stupid ingredients? I bought some from some craft brewer in Edinburgh a few years ago (produced in a camper van or something according to his website) and some of the beers were simply vile and a complete waste of money. There are numerous different types of beer already with subtly different tastes depending on what hops, etc., the brewer uses, no need to spoil them by adding something that doesn't belong, I sometimes think that the German Beer Purity Law has a lot of merit! Leave the weird tastes to the gin drinkers, they seem to enjoy it!

I drink both ale and gin (hasten to say not in the same glass at the same time) and totally agree, keep gin for the weird tastes and leave ale as a bitter brew.

• Like 2

I have friends that consider it better to drink larger amounts of weak/oddly flavoured brews, rather than have the occasional stronger ale. Myself, I tend towards the latter and always look forward to discovering/savouring yet another full bodied real ale. 

Each to their own.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 5

I tend to think there's a time and place for both, sometimes you just want to have a few and sometimes you just want the strength, there's such a variety of (genuine) beer flavours and strengths there's plenty to keep me going for both types of drinking sessions! A properly brewed weaker strength beer should also have lots of body and taste, it shouldn't need added flavouring. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Glamorgan Brewing, Welsh Pale Ale.

1291813248_F006-GBC-WELSH-PALE-ALE-500ML-x-8-CASE-PALEALE-GLAMORGANBREWING-SESSION-TASTY-BOTTLES-CLEAN-HOPPY-BITTER-WELSH.jpg.01e58228cec45264cef432a062422c2c.jpg

For some reason our local Tesco up here in Scotland stocks this so I thought I'd give it a try, always feeling as I do an affinity with our Celtic cousins.  It's a nice beer, a good session pale, a touch of citrus but kept well in the background, none of these fancy additional flavours that people have been complaining about.  Probably won't win any prizes, but a nice, well balanced, eminently drinkable pale ale.

DT

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Torper said:

Glamorgan Brewing, Welsh Pale Ale.

1291813248_F006-GBC-WELSH-PALE-ALE-500ML-x-8-CASE-PALEALE-GLAMORGANBREWING-SESSION-TASTY-BOTTLES-CLEAN-HOPPY-BITTER-WELSH.jpg.01e58228cec45264cef432a062422c2c.jpg

For some reason our local Tesco up here in Scotland stocks this so I thought I'd give it a try,

We get this one at the Tesco in Barnstaple too, although my theory is that it’s stocked there as a result of a computer glitch - someone in the store could have done a search on their database for local breweries who are suppliers to Tesco, and the results have given the distance as the crow flies. Barnstaple to the Vale of Glamorgan isn’t a massive distance as the crow flies (about 30-40 miles), so that’s probably how it ends up in North Devon, even though in reality it’s over 130 miles by road...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That distance app used by many organisations can be a PITA. Especially if you live near an estuary. I live in south Essex and I often get directed to places in Kent when I know there are places a lot nearer by road.

Mixed day- positive lateral flow test this morning followed by a trip to the local testing station at Blackwell meadows for PCR! Then try to enjoy the rest of my birthday isolating form the immediate family! 

To perk me up a batch of beer from my wife -George Samual brewery at Shildon! ‘Leaves on the line’ golden bitter 4.2% - more to follow when I get to drink them.

12D34782-A243-4E8E-8863-A4325F3BF09B.jpeg

Edited by 43110andyb
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Get well soon. 

I've recently come out if isolation, but I was advised I didn't need a PCR to confirm the positve LFT, just to isolate for 10 days with early release if LFT negative on days 5 and 6. Fortunately, that was the case. Hope the same for you.

ps was drinking this earlier

https://www.brixtonbrewery.com/portfolio/atlantic-apa/

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Get well soon. 

I've recently come out if isolation, but I was advised I didn't need a PCR to confirm the positve LFT, just to isolate for 10 days with early release if LFT negative on days 5 and 6. Fortunately, that was the case. Hope the same for you.

ps was drinking this earlier

https://www.brixtonbrewery.com/portfolio/atlantic-apa/

Thanks!! Ps- I followed the NHS site and it advised a test today-  if positive 5 full days isolating then a clear lateral flow test days 5 & 6 to be released from purgatory it says (that’s if I have read it correctly :help:)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Today's tipple:

IMG_20220126_173129.jpg.c8405b18e03ed3b85a063aa6f3396da7.jpg

Siren Broken Dream.

One of a selection that were purchased from my local asda at a reduced to clear price.

This is badged as a 6.5% Breakfast (?) Stout.

Quite palatable, but I wouldn't want it for breakfast :no:

The Brixton APA I had yesterday was so nice I went back to the shop and bought the remaining stock; 16 cans @90p each - that'll do!

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hobby said:

"Citra, Simcoe, Chinook, Columbus"

From their website.

Thanks. 

Didn't taste like it had any of those.......

Which is odd, because I do have a distinct preference towards Citra, Simcoe and Chinook.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

The final Asda special.

Again, hops not specified and unremarkable as a beer :(

This wax an expensive one @£1.15

IMG_20220128_173853.jpg.9951f9220c8d746d71e2718bb6e08e5e.jpg

I'm rather fond of that glass though, it holds a 330ml can exactly and came (legitimately) from here:

https://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/enjoy-your-beer-in-a-healthy-and-safe-way/?lang=en

• Like 1