The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium
On 31/08/2021 at 18:25, Worsdell forever said:

Could we all please have a moments silence for the passing on my OP glass, a Christmas gift from Mrs WF. May it rest in pieces. :cray_mini:.

And Theakstons don't have any more so I can't replace it. 

20210831_181923.jpg.6d6f07dd26092eb43fe196c9953da040.jpg

How sad,  a stemmed glass as well, very sophisticated.  I just looked at eBay, there are lots of Theakston glasses, even tankards and some are stemmed but none like yours.

I mean, as yours would have been obvs.

Years ago I went into a builders merchants and fetched a curved ridge tile with a great lump missing out of my van and asked the guy in the yard if they had anything like this?   He looked and smugly said, no, not with a bit missing like that.

Andy

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2021 at 11:05, tigerburnie said:

Many folk have said over the years that they don't like the taste of whisky, what I am providing is a sample of the fact that just like beer and other drinks, that taste can indeed vary greatly. The Benriach would be one to try if you are thinking you don't like whisky, when in fact there are possibly many that you may actually like, if get my drift.

I do like whisky and definitely Benriach. I bought my first bottle on recommendation from my niece who was working at the Whisky Shop on Piccadilly at the time.

• Like 2

On 28/09/2021 at 09:38, tigerburnie said:

Dip your toes in gently with something like Highland Park, Ledaig or possibly a Caol Isla, get a taste of the islands before diving in at the deep end with something from the south coast of Islay.

The first two are in the queue, along with an English whisky: Cotswolds

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 88D said:

The first two are in the queue, along with an English whisky: Cotswolds

Or try the English Whisky Company (Rudham) and their range of malts.

The Norfolk Original MW really takes some beating.

An extremely palatable, smooth and fragrant drink matured in bourbon oak casks.

Pricey compared to other products, however definitely something different from a small family distillery. 

Recommended !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 2

Some recent arrivals from Vocation Brewery of Hebden Bridge...I was in Saltaire recently so very close...but time never allowed a much hoped visit down the road as intended... we did do a trip on the KWVR behind their big WD American loco though if that helps hereabouts?

In order of L-R ABV we have 6.9% 7% 11% & 11.4% for the utterly fantastic if rather sweet chocolate & banana imperial stout.

I should mention that these are a collective work over the last fortnight along with the rather good Ledaig 18 y/o behind which was opened around 18 months ago...I couldn't do this lot in one sitting!

20211002_220335.jpg

Edited by Bert Cheese
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Covid, it is more than 12 months since I was last in the UK, where a pint of Tribute suits me quite well in the Buccaneer at Babbacombe (Torquay). 

But as a bargain, I have trouble beating this - ca £3.50 in Lidl, France. Poor man's champagne. I know a chap who got his ex to import a dozen bottles to have at his next wedding!

IMG_5368.JPG.33eec2d40edb0dd4995d1e392d2f80c6.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Thanks to Covid, it is more than 12 months since I was last in the UK, where a pint of Tribute suits me quite well in the Buccaneer at Babbacombe (Torquay). 

But as a bargain, I have trouble beating this - ca £3.50 in Lidl, France. Poor man's champagne. I know a chap who got his ex to import a dozen bottles to have at his next wedding!

IMG_5368.JPG.33eec2d40edb0dd4995d1e392d2f80c6.JPG

How many weddings has he had?:blink:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

How many weddings has he had?:blink:

Oh, only two. And the second one, when he was nearly 68, was, er, my fault for luring his now-ex off the straight and narrow. But, hey, I'd been widowed - I was eligible. Why he married an Iranian the second time isn't obvious to some of us, mind....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Oh, only two. And the second one, when he was nearly 68, was, er, my fault for luring his now-ex off the straight and narrow. But, hey, I'd been widowed - I was eligible. Why he married an Iranian the second time isn't obvious to some of us, mind....

Well, at the risk of sounding sexist & chauvinistic, Iranian cuisine is very tasty, so he might just be on to a good thing.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few weeks ago a very well meaning relative gave me a large box full of beers from a number of countries (I think it was a special offer). To my dismay I have now found that without exception they are all lagers.  I have just tried a Moosehead Canadian lager.  It is cold,  It is tasteless.  It is lager.  Why do people drink this stuff?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 minutes ago, Torper said:

A few weeks ago a very well meaning relative gave me a large box full of beers from a number of countries (I think it was a special offer). To my dismay I have now found that without exception they are all lagers.  I have just tried a Moosehead Canadian lager.  It is cold,  It is tasteless.  It is lager.  Why do people drink this stuff?

Rather dismissive of Lager, what you probably have is a load of BUL* and a try of those produced by some of the smaller brewers may pleasantly surprise! 

Lockdown has had the effect of getting some of the smaller brewers getting produce more widely available.

* Brewed Under License 

• Like 1

I'd agree some of the smaller breweries do produce nice lagers, unlike the big ones. Of course you don't have to cool it down if you don't want to, it's well known that cooling a beer is the best way to hide the lack of taste, though punters still fall for it...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

You are of course right about small brewers - Harviestoun Brewery's Schiehallion lager is really rather good. It's just when the word lager is affixed to any product of the big breweries (and I include otherwise perfectly potable foreign products brewed under licence in the UK) that they really become so nondescript - bland and tasteless, always served chilled because tasteless is better than the taste that might be revealed if they weren't .

DT

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On offer at Morrison's today was this golden ale Breadwinner, produced from unsold bread.

This beer is Brewed by the Saltaire Brewery of West Yorkshire fame.

Coming in at a healthy 4.4.% ABV with an orange tangy taste.

The best is yet to come, it's on offer for £1 per bottle.

Thoroughly recommended !

IMG_20211015_180609_990.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lidl's had a beer collection from last Thursday, so i bought a few different cans. 

This one is from  Love Lane brewery in Liverpool and comes in at 10%. A very pleasant imperial stout.

Also good news is one of my locals for 30 years which closed just before Christmas last is being refurbish complete with new paint. The worrying part about this is the sign outside showing Sky sports. Now when I wish to have a drink out I dont want Sky television in every room. The pub has 5 rooms which are all open and my fear is any television will dominate the old atmosphere of talking and live music. If this is going to be the case, I will not be returning. 

20211019_203200.jpg

20211019_115920.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I saw some bottles of Lithuanian Kvass (no alcohol) reduced to 15p in Sainsbury's so I bought one to try.  It was pleasant but too sweet.  It was like drinking liquid malt loaf.  At 8% sugar a 500ml bottle is a bit naughty for a type 2 so I won't be having it again.

image.png.de231e2f7111e08d0016f2a2eaaba81e.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/10/2021 at 20:49, airnimal said:

Lidl's had a beer collection from last Thursday, so i bought a few different cans. 

This one is from  Love Lane brewery in Liverpool and comes in at 10%. A very pleasant imperial stout.

Also good news is one of my locals for 30 years which closed just before Christmas last is being refurbish complete with new paint. The worrying part about this is the sign outside showing Sky sports. Now when I wish to have a drink out I dont want Sky television in every room. The pub has 5 rooms which are all open and my fear is any television will dominate the old atmosphere of talking and live music. If this is going to be the case, I will not be returning. 

20211019_203200.jpg

20211019_115920.jpg

I was in Eastleigh Lidl yesterday and bought a couple of the Love Lane stouts to try. I drank one last night and thought it good value and worth getting a few more so went in again today.  None left!  There was a nearly full case yesterday, so someone else had the same idea but had more carrying capacity.  Anyone on here care to 'fess up?   I could try the city centre branch tomorrow but it's probably gone from there as well.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1