The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

58 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Quite how they are getting there when Penzance (the major point of departure, directly or indirectly) is in Tier 3 meaning even locals must abide by T3 rules and not travel.  The small number of passengers involved would be easily traced to non-Tier 1 addresses is a moot point.  It has long been necessary to enter name and home address when booking online.  Mid-winter the Scillonian ferry does not sail meaning there are no walk-up passengers.  Skybus and the newly restored helicopter link will require your full details before accepting a booking.  

All quite too much for me just for a pint but from all the reports from places such as York, Hereford etc, it seems many are happy to work up a thirst and invest a lot of effort in travelling outside their area.

Its all a bit bonkers really.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, 88D said:

Marvellous session beer. Do people have sessions any more?

Hell Yeah! We definitely do! Just off the top of my head, Bonfire Marching Season in East Sussex, (normally) starts in September and finishes in late November, is a series of sessions or just one long session if you partake of all the out meetings and home matches. Loads of Ale and Beer, Bonfire Boy is brewed by Harveys just for the time of year. What could be better than burning torches, exploding rookies, burning crosses and burning and blowing stuff up to the sound of drum bands, session drinking Harveys the whole time. ‘We Wunt be Druv’....:drink_mini: but we will be drunk!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Not quite, the Isle of Scilly are still tier 1 so pubs are open.

Good for them. I hope they can keep the worst problems locked out.

2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

:banghead:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Quite how they are getting there .........

Range Rover Evoques with water wings? :mosking:

ps not wishing to undermine the gravity of the issue; just couldn't resist the idiocy

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Range Rover Evoques with water wings? :mosking:

ps not wishing to undermine the gravity of the issue; just couldn't resist the idiocy

It was quoted in the Sun, poor and sloppy reporting even by their standards. Oops sorry, they don't have any standards.

• Like 1

I know I'm a week late, but I've just tucked into a few bottles of St Peters Christmas ale which were bought in December 2019.

It tastes like liquid Christmas cake and comes in at a hefty 7% ABV.

Along with a long shelf life of March 21, this ale can simply be described as the festive season in a glass !

IMG_20201231_192118.jpg.30d2b0d8d96fcefcc37207489e8884d1.jpg

Happy New Year to all and many of them.....

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 30/12/2020 at 16:48, Dick Turpin said:

Only 4.8% for an IPA? tut tut - that's only marginally better than Greene Kings unrealistic 3.6% effort. You should try Durham Brewery's Bombay IPA which at 7% and generously hopped with serious quantities of English Goldings gives you a taste of imperial days of empire. OK, it's best on days when the sun has been relentless, temperatures are higher than average, you have worked up a serious thirst and know you have earned it, but by god it's glorious when you finally get round to it. Any good historical beer is a taste of our heritage.

No need for an excessive ABV with a regiment behind you :training:

A556B777-B024-4F91-9841-5E138C1A1995.jpeg

Edited by 43110andyb
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LimboBrit said:

Very nice Belgian “Karmeliet Tripel “. Three grain 8.4% beer according to 17th century recipe.

Happy new year, everybody!

54ABA307-14CD-4BA9-8B4A-273D745C4BC6.jpeg

I've got one of those as well :)

will leave it until later Iin 2021 though.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well I started the evening with Bishops Finger, but to let the new in a Jameson’s or two is called for.

Happy New Year to all RMWEB members 

Terry 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Not convinced by this one:

25ac06520445bf31c30da1658417019d.0.jpg.0ab4f9d9243fc35fdc00459e6af2d42b.jpg

2 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

The branding wouldn’t have convinced me to buy it in the first place

That's the bonus; I didn't buy it - it was donated :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 01/01/2021 at 00:59, ELTEL said:

Well I started the evening with Bishops Finger........

Does Joule’s brewery still exist? My Grandads drank more than a few pints in their time. I was too young 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

Does Joule’s brewery still exist? My Grandads drank more than a few pints in their time. I was too young 

Yup, alive and well with a few tied houses around East Staffordshire

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Yup, alive and well with a few tied houses around East Staffordshire

I was born not far from Stone. Next time I’m in the area I’ll keep my eyes open. It would be interesting to try a pint of bitter to see what my Grandads were making all the fuss about. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

I was born not far from Stone. Next time I’m in the area I’ll keep my eyes open. It would be interesting to try a pint of bitter to see what my Grandads were making all the fuss about. 

Well yes the Joules ales are still available around the area .

The original Joules brewery was absorbed into the Bass Worthing empire in the late 1960s/1970 s and eventually disappeared.

However it is very much part of Stone as Joules was reborn some years back.

The brewery is now in Market Drayton and they produce a wide range of very good beers.

Next to where the brewery was is a new theatre complex is being built on part of the land of the original brewery.

The main brewery is still there nestled between the Trent & Mersey canal and the original A34 but now a engineering company.

In my very early years (3 to 6) I lived across the road from the brewery and watched the loading of the lorries delivering beer to all the local pubs on there distinctive green lorries (mainly Thornycrofts)

Hence my avatar being the original Joules sign 

Terry 

• Like 4

A bit of a change for me as I've been favouring cider over beer in recent months for some reason, those shown are part of a selection box from Gwynt Y Ddraig and the Black Dragon is/was often found on tap or box at Wetherspoons...lovely easy drinking stuff but I'd advise a limit of 4 pints based on past staggers home...the Old Crow is even stronger but looks like its only available in bottles which may be a wise move :P

I've a fairly wide range of Scotch to hand but usually favour the peaty/smokey jobs from Islay...the Glanfarclas 105 here is anything but though...a massive Highland sherry bomb like a boozy fruit cake, the 105 (Proof) is a cask strength version too at 60% ABV and best dealt out in single measures as an occassional treat.

TS.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Bert Cheese said:

..the Glanfarclas 105 here is anything but though...a massive Highland sherry bomb like a boozy fruit cake

Sounds like an interesting one to add to my collection

4583636E-8FF2-452E-A7DF-3C84D29F419E.jpeg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

Sounds like an interesting one to add to my collection

4583636E-8FF2-452E-A7DF-3C84D29F419E.jpeg

Very nice indeed, most of them have passed through my whisky cupboard as some stage aside from the Macallan as their prices can be scary for some expressions!

I think you'd like the Glenfarclas 105, its not disimilar to the Aberlour A'Bunadh you have and Glendronach produce similar malts though I'd say the 15 y/o Revival is a closer match here.

• Like 3