The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

Shall be breaking into this 'big boy' at lunch today (750 ml bottle). 6.5%. Brewed in Greenwich, London. Unfortunately another small craft brewer snapped up by SAB Miller- hope we don't see clone versions brewed in their commercial plants  like they do with Sharps Doom Bar.

Edit post drinking: Wow, what a beer, so many complex flavours, it's a knockout. Also the brewery has been sold by SAB Miller as part of a Competition requirement in 2016, now owned by a Japanese investment company, with promises to brew all brands at the Greenwich brewery

post-13514-0-67706500-1488022987.jpg

post-13514-0-20949800-1488022988.jpg

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In Scots, the word "gallus" is used to describe an act of self confident boldness or daring, usually a bit stylish, perhaps a trifle on the wild side.  So, today of all days, it's appropriate that I've been enjoying a bottle of Black Wolf Brewery's "Pure Gallus" Scottish pale ale.  And very nice it was too.  I hope it bodes well.

DT

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mention of good things from the north prompts me to venture in this direction.

I have not tried it yet, but having just been to the Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition in Whitechapel may I mention Paolozzi Lager by the Edinburgh Beer Factory.

Bernard

• Like 2

Shall be breaking into this 'big boy' at lunch today (750 ml bottle). 6.5%. Brewed in Greenwich, London. Unfortunately another small craft brewer snapped up by SAB Miller- hope we don't see clone versions brewed in their commercial plants  like they do with Sharps Doom Bar.

Edit post drinking: Wow, what a beer, so many complex flavours, it's a knockout. Also the brewery has been sold by SAB Miller as part of a Competition requirement in 2016, now owned by a Japanese investment company, with promises to brew all brands at the Greenwich brewery

Good news about the Brewery - I always rated their beer, and thought the worse when they were taken over (or Meantime 'sold out' perhaps..)

Les

• RMweb Premium

Aldi has a Scottish Beer festival (presumably only in their Scottish stores) a couple of times a year and i usually pick up a few bottles to see if i can find anything exceptional.  Sometimes i do; more often i find perfectly decent examples of Bière Ordinaire; and occasionally I come across something I don't really like very much at all.  Unfortunately, Edinbrew's "Friendly Fire" comes into this latter category.  The label reads well, the poured product looks perfectly fine, but the flavour is a peculiar misture of hops, smokiness, and farmyard manure.  As one contributor to Untappd succinctly put it, "boggin".   Even although it's only 330ml, I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Box of red from Asda has gone down well with duck. (only one glass, I hasten to add!)

Box of red from Asda has gone down well with duck. (only one glass, I hasten to add!)

I've not even had a drink and I'm seeing double!!!

• RMweb Gold

Gone down awfully well by the look of things! There should be some Chardonnay left on Weds evening when you get here. X 

• RMweb Gold

This evenings tipple has the influence of the Raj about it. Hefty ABV ( both above 6.0% ) but splendid flavour. Has had rather a rather pleasant dulling effect on the modelling aspirations tonight.

Rob

post-14122-0-74747900-1489872382_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Glugged a bottle of Quincy (quite delicious, from the Loire Valley) rather fast last night after a full-on day with grandson no. 1 (of three!) aged 2 and a bit, so this evening it is another of the same in a slightly calmer manner.

Gives the satisfaction of the hunter-gatherer, having brought it back from France - next trip due very soon.

Anthony - slightly ashamed to say I don't like beer!

• Like 1

Duck seems to have enjoyed quite a lot...

steve

• RMweb Gold

This hit the spot!

Great flavour, 6.0% and very drinkable.

Oh yes!

Rob.

post-14122-0-89216500-1490397072_thumb.jpg

• Like 2