The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Nice couple of hours yesterday afternoon with an old friend at the Kings in Roupell St, close to Waterloo Stn. A lovely traditional drinkers pub in a street of traditional London houses. Highly recommended.

Many beers available but I tried the XT Dark Roast. Very nice. So much so that I had to try it twice more and nearly fell asleep on the train home.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Last night I visited the Plough and Anchor the nearest bar to my hotel in Sliema on Malta and had a couple of pints of Farsons Blue Label on draught, not a bad pint once you give it time to warm up. It was bit dark in there for a photo, looks like a traditional english bar on the inside, the price was €3.60.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I caught up with an old mate last night for a couple of ales in a local (to him) establishment. They always have a guest ale or two. Last night there was a very drinkable amber ale called "Little Bird". Very easy to drink and enjoyable, cannot remember the brewery though. He had a strong IPA called Jaipur which he rated highly too.

Now I am currently drinking that well known beverage "Lemsip". I believe it is made by the Beechams brewery!

Jaipur by coincidence is what my son and i were quaffing in The Packhorse at Little Longstone last Sat. Brewed locally at Thornbridge,just down the road from the pub.Simply superb.So is The Packhorse.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A brief update on my Malta trip the other two bars that I found on t interweb were both closed when I went to check them out, so currently the only available outlet for the Farson products is the Plough and Anchor, I may try the others again over the weekend. I have only seen lager available from Cisk.

A brief update on my Malta trip the other two bars that I found on t interweb were both closed when I went to check them out, so currently the only available outlet for the Farson products is the Plough and Anchor, I may try the others again over the weekend. I have only seen lager available from Cisk.

Go on, risk a bus trip to Valetta and 'The Pub'

Edit: if you look carefully you should be able to find some Cisk fruit beers:

post-1525-0-26293100-1485459725_thumb.jpg

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

Sangre de Toro brought back from our recent trip to the Costa del Sol.

Surprisingly it tastes as nice back home, but I suppose by Spanish standards it weren't too cheap :)

Mind you, just checked UK price, it's not what you'd class as budget here either.

Edited by leopardml2341

Been to Valletta a couple of times, where is the "pub"? please.

Archbishop Street, Valletta VLT 1444, Malta

Open today 12pm–1am

+356 7905 2522

Cisk fruit beer may not be available there, but you should get these:

post-1525-0-77815100-1485536707_thumb.jpg

It was suggested that they be drunk 'mixed' a la black and tan - maybe, but not for me :(

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

Have some of these over from Christmas. Two Bavarian beers bought from 'Beers of Europe' at Kings Lynn. The brewery is Hacker-Pschorr of Munich, one of 6 Munich breweries licensed to brew for the Oktoberfest. The Marzen beer is a hoppy darker beer, brewed in March/April for sale in September or the Oktoberfest. The Superior is a lighter beer. Both are delicious. Unfortunately sold out now, so I'll have to wait until Oct/Nov 2017 for more. Only 10 bottles left

post-13514-0-05412700-1485637776.jpg

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Archbishop Street, Valletta VLT 1444, Malta

Open today 12pm–1am

+356 7905 2522

Cisk fruit beer may not be available there, but you should get these:

attachicon.gif_20170127_170452.JPG

It was suggested that they be drunk 'mixed' a la black and tan - maybe, but not for me :(

Visited the Pub yesterday evening and I was totally underwhelmed by it. The only available "beers" were Guiness, Cisk lager and John Smiths on draught and the only bottled beer was the pale ale all ready tried and stout from abroad. I travelled about 1400 miles and end up drinking a pint of St Austell Mena Dhu, at probably at twice the price I would have payed at home. Possibly not entirely the Puds fault as they have not had a delivery for over a week and won't be getting one until next week,due to a security lock down because EU heads of government are arriving in the building across the street on Friday.

The experience was not enhanced by a crowd of "luvvies" enthusing over the photos of Olly Read, although he was a much better drinker than they'll ever be, if reports of his drunken behavior in my local rags court pages were anything to go by.

Visited the Pub yesterday evening and I was totally underwhelmed by it. The only available "beers" were Guiness, Cisk lager and John Smiths on draught and the only bottled beer was the pale ale all ready tried and stout from abroad. I travelled about 1400 miles and end up drinking a pint of St Austell Mena Dhu, at probably at twice the price I would have payed at home. Possibly not entirely the Puds fault as they have not had a delivery for over a week and won't be getting one until next week,due to a security lock down because EU heads of government are arriving in the building across the street on Friday.

The experience was not enhanced by a crowd of "luvvies" enthusing over the photos of Olly Read, although he was a much better drinker than they'll ever be, if reports of his drunken behavior in my local rags court pages were anything to go by.

Oh well, 'twas but a suggestion.

• RMweb Gold

Jaipur by coincidence is what my son and i were quaffing in The Packhorse at Little Longstone last Sat. Brewed locally at Thornbridge,just down the road from the pub.Simply superb.So is The Packhorse.

And to continue the regional theme,try John Hattersley for wine in nearby Bakewell. A treasure trove of not-your-average -supermarket wines.Nice helpful people always ready to advise and talk wine.Just off the A6 in the Buxton direction as you leave town.

• RMweb Premium

And to continue on the Jaipur theme, our local Tescos are currently selling it on clearance at £1.49 (330ml).  Very drinkable indeed and surprisingly strong at 5.9% alc. volume.  Hopefully they'll still have some left when I next go in (just a pity about the bottles being only 330ml).

DT