The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

What's all this American style IPA ?

In one of the Supermarkets I saw 'Barry Island IPA - American Style'.

Now apart from the fact it was only a 300ml bottle, though the same price as Spitfire, London Pride etc., 500ml,

I can't really image Barry Island is the most enticing name going.. Somewhat like 'Estuary Ales - Taste of the Thames' (In Peter Smiths book from the topic http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100227-painting-locomotives-without-much-paint/page-7   Though I don't think there's an illustration of the beer van in the topic).

Dogs Ballacks, yes, but Barry Island ? (I'm told it has a rusty colour).

I had some American IPA a few months back (brewed locally in Worcestershire but using (some) American hops).  An enjoyable pint with plenty of hoppy flavour.  I don't recall the price being significantly different to the rest of the ales on tap.

• RMweb Premium

What's all this American style IPA ?

In one of the Supermarkets I saw 'Barry Island IPA - American Style'.

Now apart from the fact it was only a 300ml bottle, though the same price as Spitfire, London Pride etc., 500ml,

I can't really image Barry Island is the most enticing name going.. Somewhat like 'Estuary Ales - Taste of the Thames' (In Peter Smiths book from the topic http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100227-painting-locomotives-without-much-paint/page-7   Though I don't think there's an illustration of the beer van in the topic).

Dogs Ballacks, yes, but Barry Island ? (I'm told it has a rusty colour).

It's made by Brains and is their version of a craft IPA - it weighs in quite heavy at about 6%, and I believe it's a 330 ml bottle. 

Personally, I like it, though it doesn't have the bite of some of the other so-called American "style" IPAs.  If you get it in Morrisons' it is in their four for six quid offers, so you can still get Spitfirs and Pride - unit of alcohol per pound it works out about the same as Pride is about 4.7% and Spitfire is 4.5.  So really you gets what you pays for there in terms of kick.

My best experience of the Orkney products was when I was visiting Aberdeen and there was a pub open down near the docks/fishmarket that opened early and sold Orkney Dark Island and this stuff

MERCH_SKULL_SPLIT_PUMP_LR.jpg?itok=7HPWb

It was quite early on, and they would only sell my a half.  Two halfs later and I knew why - it lived up to its name, and left me hung over by lunch time.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It's made by Brains and is their version of a craft IPA - it weighs in quite heavy at about 6%, and I believe it's a 330 ml bottle. 

Personally, I like it, though it doesn't have the bite of some of the other so-called American "style" IPAs.  If you get it in Morrisons' it is in their four for six quid offers, so you can still get Spitfirs and Pride - unit of alcohol per pound it works out about the same as Pride is about 4.7% and Spitfire is 4.5.  So really you gets what you pays for there in terms of kick.

My best experience of the Orkney products was when I was visiting Aberdeen and there was a pub open down near the docks/fishmarket that opened early and sold Orkney Dark Island and this stuff

It was quite early on, and they would only sell my a half.  Two halfs later and I knew why - it lived up to its name, and left me hung over by lunch time.

Skull Splitter - that looks troublesome...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Saturday night, SWMBO took me out to a local restaurant (birthday treat) that does American IPA on tap, Fresh from Wild Beer Co. I enjoyed this in cans at home but in draught form it was far too cold for my liking; there was ice on the glass! Probably how they would drink it in the USA but took away some of the flavo(u)r.

• RMweb Premium

Skull Splitter is a decent drop, I've had it a few times at beer festivals...usually saved as the "wally pint" at last orders in order to relieve any sensation or memory of the bus journey home :preved:

Speaking of which...the year kicks off with Dorchester Beerex on Feb 5th for me, I haven't been before so it may be some partial compensation for the loss of Minehead festival in September owing to CAMRA & the WSR management falling out.

• Like 2

Joseph_Pestell, on 11 Jan 2016 - 08:51, said:

Saturday night, SWMBO took me out to a local restaurant (birthday treat) that does American IPA on tap, Fresh from Wild Beer Co. I enjoyed this in cans at home but in draught form it was far too cold for my liking; there was ice on the glass! Probably how they would drink it in the USA but took away some of the flavo(u)r.

Sadly too many pubs are serving their "craft" beers way too cold. They use the same chiller as for the mass produced fizzy yak urine. (fosters etc) I find that letting the beer rest for a few minutes or even just holding the glass in your hand will bring the temp up. Americans don't ruin their craft beers by serving them too cold. Basically...

real ale: around 12c

craft beers including IPA and stouts if served from keg: around 6c

fizzy p*ss: who cares.

• Like 2

...My best experience of the Orkney products was when I was visiting Aberdeen and there was a pub open down near the docks/fishmarket that opened early and sold Orkney Dark Island and this stuff (Skull Splitter). 2 halfs later and I knew why - it lived up to its name, 

Next day delivery from Orkney to west Cornwall for my Dark Island and Skull Splitter ales (though I admit in bottles,not cask),  Splendid service.

The SS I'm saving for the 6 Nations Finals, hopefully, but I may have to put in a back order. 

Well for the first two matches.

...... The last one's at around 10pm between a couple of minor sides and of no interest. 

The Dark Island is as I remember it in the Castletown Hotel near Thurso,

complimenting the Venison stew I had there too.

Fortunately I ordered enough to tide me over for a short while.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 6

One of our lads in the Village has been going on about 'Haka Ale' by Slaters of Stafford, not the Butcombe version.

But it seems Slaters don't have a delivery option down to west Cornwall.

However I've just learned I'm attending a conference at Alton Towers in March,

perhaps we will be able to get it down here after all.

Different beer now, Just had some of the bottled Guinness 'Dublin Porter' - presumably all part of their spreading the net on to the real ales market to see what sells - Not impressed, very dark, but a thin taste, took a pint to get any sensation of taste, served at 12deg C..

I much prefer the Guinness 'West Indies Porter'.  

The 'Dublin Porter' may of course have a subtle taste, and the pint of Rev.James I had an hour before, had biased the taste buds, but I don't think so.
It can't be down to the lower Alc, at 3.8%, because 'Kirkstone Porter' at 3.6% has a good depth of taste, proper heavy.

Later this evening I'm going over to the 'Dark Side', courtesy of Bath Ales... 

• Like 1

......... there was ice on the glass! Probably how they would drink it in the USA but took away some of the flavo(u)r.

Some of the flavo(u)r ?

It would have to have terrific flavour to survive that low a temperature.

I'm with the others who hate chilled drinks, I don't understand why people want it so cold.

One of our lads in the Village (he had a stroke recently and has limited movement now) gets very upset if his beer (normally Betty Stogs) is less than 12degs, he has a temperature gauge he sticks in the beer to test it, we now have a small bowl of warm water behind the bar to stick his full pint into to bring it up to a reasonable temp.,  it does of course mean somebody has to pop in first and get his first pint and place it in the bowl about 40 mins before we all arrive at 8.30pm.   Fortunately we can get away with these thing in the British Legion Club in the Village

We tell the wives etc., when they ask "what time did you get in?", "well we left on Wednesday, but due to .......... didn't get home till Thursday", and it's a small Village.

We have asked the Beer Buyer many a time to get Marstons Pedigree, but apparently the wholesale price is to high, compared to all the other ales we have, to enable the Legion Club to keep it's price at £3 over the bar.  They like to have a very limited range of prices,  there's i. Ales, ii. Lager and iii. Guinness - Simples.

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Premium

It's amazing that people drink the extra cold Guinness, but I have only seen it in one pub the first time I went too Ireland, the next time they only had the standard.

I have been known to get two pints the first time I go into a pub if the first comes out cold, so that at least the 2nd will be at a palatable temprature.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It went particularly well with a kidney bean and boiled egg curry. On to bottle number 2.

Sounds like a recipe for blowing your roof off.

Yes, it is a little windy here this morning

Are you Storm Henry?

Storm Mark? :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: