The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah Christmas beckons, and stocks on the booze/tools shelf were looking rather depleted...a visit to Bitter Virtue being in order - http://www.bittervirtue.co.uk/

The Buckfast is a long term resident of the shelf, I bought it as a sort of social experiment a couple of years ago (have 3 bottles all in) but no-one seems that keen to help me drink it now!

DSC_0265_zpskvf9jtxm.jpg

Meanwhile in the ageing cupboard...a slight Islay bias may be obvious?

The dark looking Bell's was infused with blackberries in January and is near ready for sampling, as is the contents of the ex-Monkey Shoulder bottle but using some surplus Famous Grouse as a base.

DSC_0267_zpskdgd89lw.jpg

Come on chaps, lets see your Christmas Ales :drink_mini:

• Like 4

Save the bottle of Fraoch 'till last Bert, that's the best one you've got by far.

Personally, I'm very much enjoying the local stuff at the moment. All brewed no more than 15 miles from my house. The mini keg will be opened on xmas eve :)

post-12902-0-14512900-1450565950_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the awful photo using the tablet.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just recently sampled the two other beers left for us by our friends at Wild Beer Co.

Ninkasi is just spectacular. Similar to a Belgian Gueuze but so much richer. At 9%ABV, a 75cl bottle was plenty for two of us.

I have to admit that I could not live with Modus Vivendi - strangely sour. (EDIT: There is a play on words there!)

Really looking forward to mid-Febrary when they are doing a Snowdrops Festival event with us and will be presenting their wine-grape based brew.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Has anybody tried 'Haka' beer, by Slaters of Stafford ?

Googling 'Haka Beer' I see Butcombe do a version too.

But it's the Slaters one that a friend on his return from the Midlands raved about..

Should we try and get it 'way down west' for our RBL Club?

Most successful imports recently have been 'BOB' and 'Rev. James'.
Some of the lad's want 'Marston's Pedigree', but the mark up required, takes it out of the Club's preferred retail price structure (£3/pint). 

• RMweb Premium

Has anybody tried 'Haka' beer, by Slaters of Stafford ?

Googling 'Haka Beer' I see Butcombe do a version too.

But it's the Slaters one that a friend on his return from the Midlands raved about..

Should we try and get it 'way down west' for our RBL Club?

Most successful imports recently have been 'BOB' and 'Rev. James'.

Some of the lad's want 'Marston's Pedigree', but the mark up required, takes it out of the Club's preferred retail price structure (£3/pint).

Haven't had Slater's Haka for a while, although it's still readily available around these parts. Had another of theirs with the turkey leftovers tonight. I'm a sucker for anything with either a dog or a loco on the bottle.

post-6677-0-20405700-1451150854_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Porter, well one of my favorites is/was Kirkstone Porter, low Alc (around 3.6%) but heavy.
Currently in west Cornwall Co-Ops we can get Guiness 'West Indies Porter',

that's about 5.2% Alc, and again a heavy - 3 bottles for £5..

I shall have to see if my friends up there in Stafford can get some Slater's Smoked Porter sent down... Uhmn.

We are trying to pursued our Beer buyer to try for the Slater's Haka.
We also understand one of the larger Cornish brewers is due to bring out a draught Mild. But we await details.

I admit I've been sticking with Fuller's Bottled London Pride over Christmas.  

Though I do have a few litres of Crumpton Oak Cider in stock - £2 for 2 litres in Morrison's.

I tend to stay with a less than 5% Alc Cider for my normal session drinking, no chance of being ill from the start/ end of barrel cloudy beer, which affects me very badly.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This evening's tipple, by way of Xmas present from friends in Dulwich, Effra by the Brixton Brewery. Apparently the brewhouse is in a railway arch so very appropriate for this thread.

An excellent fruity beer. Looking forward to the other two beers from the same brewer.

• Like 1

More local brews have arrived to top up the beer shelf. I received a nice little selection of Bath Ales as an xmas present from my nice. As for the Hop Back Entire Stout, well I popped into Morrison's for some bananas and just happened to wander down the beer and ale isle. Honest! ;)

post-12902-0-02495900-1451303991_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Entire Stout is a smashing drop, though of course it always tastes even better straight from the tap at The Wyndham Arms in Salisbury :drink_mini:

Must drop in there some time. Often enough in Salisbury. Not that big a fan of their bitter but like stout from time to time in winter.

Did the second of my Brixton beers tonight: Atlantic named after road and market of the same name but appropriately an American-style IPA. Very good.