The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

We done the last day of the Great British Beer Festival at Olympia yesterday, thoroughly recommended and definitely on next years to do list.

The scene on arrival just after the doors opened, it got a lot busier as the day went on.

20150815_1226201_zpsgkpsoind.jpg

Harveys Brewery truck, their Dark mild went down well too.

20150815_1137271_zpslwejqv3o.jpg

Obligatory meal photo, Cheese Bratwurst starter...I am trying not to remember how much I ate all in during the day...

20150815_1210091_zpszei353v0.jpg

Beer roulette...would you?

20150815_1200241_zps6029y9wo.jpg

The agreed favourite of the day...Barrel aged imperial stout in an Isaly whisky cask...12% ABV and well worth paying £4.50 for a half :drink_mini: :drink_mini:

20150815_1400121_zpsfuteqxxo.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Friday night I dropped by at The Wight Bear micropub in Southbourne (which I mentioned a couple of pages back). I still don't really "get" the micropub thing but they are making a storming success of it. The place was packed.

I was driving so only able to sample one of the six beers on offer. An interesting red bear using American hops called XT.

• Like 2

The agreed favourite of the day...Barrel aged imperial stout in an Isaly whisky cask...12% ABV and well worth paying £4.50 for a half :drink_mini: :drink_mini:

Had I but known it (the beer) was still on on Saturday, I would've gone again...stonking beer but next time I will have it after the Fuller's Anniversary Ale.

What happened to the British Bottle-Conditioned beers this year?

• Like 1

Had I but known it (the beer) was still on on Saturday, I would've gone again...stonking beer but next time I will have it after the Fuller's Anniversary Ale.

What happened to the British Bottle-Conditioned beers this year?

Ah, the Fullers 170th brew...I knew there something I'd overlooked :scratchhead:

They never served it until 14:30 by which time a fairly substantial queue had formed for a rationed third of a pint, the bloke behind us got a bit shirty because we were carrying glasses for friends not in the queue (busy eating again!)

It turned out he'd been there all week and already queued twice before without tasting the brew as they'd poured the days allocation before he got to the front, which may explain his concerns...tbh we all thought it was ok but nothing special, the beer ticker element aside I wouldn't stand in a queue for 20 minutes for another one.

• RMweb Premium

Got a couple of bottles of this - why have I never tried it before - it's utterly beautiful - an explosion of hops after a malty start - one of the better IPAs around at the mo - shame it's not that cheap and not to be had in Morrison's - in this area it's Booths that stock it.

beer_48795.jpg

• Like 1

Got a couple of bottles of this - why have I never tried it before - it's utterly beautiful - an explosion of hops after a malty start - one of the better IPAs around at the mo - shame it's not that cheap and not to be had in Morrison's - in this area it's Booths that stock it.

beer_48795.jpg

Good in a bottle, better on draught.

beer_48795.jpg

even better is the 10% anniversary version.

• RMweb Premium

Good in a bottle, better on draught.

dunno - never found it on draught so far, but looking forward to the experience - it's a stunner, and I'm still tasting the second bottle having drunk it about half an hour ago - the aftertaste is long and b itter...

• RMweb Gold

beer_48795.jpg

Last time I sourced it was from Waitroae.

neil

Just had an adequate suffiency of this:

[url=http://www.thebootatrepton.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Clod-Hopper.png]

Clod Hopper ABV 3.9%

Our Gold is an unashamedly hoppy beer.

Maris Otter Pale Ale and Caragold Malts create the golden canvas for this enchanting Pale Ale.

Judicious late, very late and dry hop additions give a citrus dominated beer; its immediate impression is soft and smooth yet builds to a climax of hoppiness hints of caramel and an enduring, bitter finish.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

At this rate, we shall soon have to have an Oz Clarke and James May TV series about craft breweries.

Talking of which, I was visiting a supplier the other day. Up on the wall, they have a map of the craft breweries in London. I commented on the huge number and was told that it was last year's map and there are probably twice that number today.

• Like 1

At this rate, we shall soon have to have an Oz Clarke and James May TV series about craft breweries.

Talking of which, I was visiting a supplier the other day. Up on the wall, they have a map of the craft breweries in London. I commented on the huge number and was told that it was last year's map and there are probably twice that number today.

I would willing put myself forward to front such a programme!

In my four for a fiver from Asda I got one of these - not bad, though perhaps not as hoppy as I expected

beer_220383.jpg

If you have a nearby store, this:

http://www.sadlersales.co.uk/index.php/signatureboriscitrov

Is available from Aldi, at £1.25/bottle and rather nice it is too.

• 1 month later...

A recent visit to Croatia meant trying a few local brews! @ 10.14 Kune to the pound a litre of Ozujsko for £2 seemed a bargain! also tried Pan & Lasko from Slovenia, spotted Tomislav and the barman said that's a dark beer, ok I'll try one, lovely, then I noticed it's 7.3% definitely a night cap beer!

post-13586-0-86006800-1443458671_thumb.jpg

post-13586-0-46586500-1443458957_thumb.jpg

• Like 4