The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

A couple I had last night.

post-15-0-58851100-1414400513_thumb.jpg

Not bad, but pretty much tastes of chocolate and not much else.

post-15-0-51654200-1414400523_thumb.jpg

Lovely. Halfway in strength(8%) between the Red and Blue label.

Off to do a route assessment to Weymouth shortly. Plenty of time to pop into Chalbury Wine Store, where they keep a huge range of Dorset ales and cider.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifChimay.jpg

My favourite tipple, regrettably current medication means any alcohol is a no no. I still have some in stock and as it is a 'live' beer (ferments in the bottle) its possibly more than 8% now.

• RMweb Premium

Local 'spoons had this amazing liquid on offer this weekend, and at £2.05 a pint, and weighing in at 7.5%, it's quite a handful, but is a good American IPA which has crossed the Atlantic well, to be brewed at Batemans.

I also saw that there is a Sixpoint brew on offer as well at some time in the near future - brewed at Adnams - sounds interesting...

wicked-weed-freak-of-nature--812.png

• RMweb Premium

A couple I had last night.

attachicon.gifchoco.jpg

Not bad, but pretty much tastes of chocolate and not much else.

attachicon.gifChimay.jpg

Off to do a route assessment to Weymouth shortly. Plenty of time to pop into Chalbury Wine Store, where they keep a huge range of Dorset ales and cider.

Chocolate Lager ?  - I just can't start to imagine.....

• Like 1

Evenin' all,

With a week off on the horizon I called round at the Wincle brewery to collect a few supplies....by sheer good fortune I chanced on the last tray (12 bottles) of their Summer Lass (seasonal ale). I sense a jolly week to come....those who haven't tried the brew yet will have to wait til next Summer for another opportunity.

On the theme of daft sounding beers I was once advised by a friend who used to be a cellar manager to try 'Peach Melba' whilst we were having Sunday lunch at a country pub....it was one of the nicest pints that I've tried and I've looked for it ever since.

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Dave, Peach Melba was from Church End brewery. Hasn't been available since 2006 sadly. However, there is Bush Peche from Belgium which is very nice without being too sweet.

Off this evening to attend the grande opening of the Woolwich Equitable. The latest in a growing number of London pubs from Antic. Looks to be a good evening.

• RMweb Premium

evening guys, as im supping up sone tetleys in carlisle, just thought id add in one of my most memorable pints was moorhouses jackolantern from trackside in Bury this time last year, proper ale and just hope its on again this year when im over next weekend

• RMweb Gold

Well tonight marks the end of a month off booze. We're traveling down with Diesels in the Duchy to set up at the High Wycombe show. I've got my fingers crossed for a nearby bar with some good beer...

Don't forget that lovely signal box of yours. Enjoy the weekend.

Survived the launch of the Woolwich Equitable last night. Its going to be an excellent place once it shakes down and the paint smell disappears. Definitely going to give the Dial Arch a run for its money. Good chat with some other beery types and also the unofficial launch of Hop Stuff's new oatmeal stout. I'm rather tender this morning. If you haven't tried any of Hop Stuff's beers before you should hunt them down. (Mostly South East London distributed) He's created an interesting bridge between the classic cask real ale and the more hop forward craft beers. Still well balanced, not twiggy like so many "boring old fart" beers that CAMRA seem to love. Also not the massive hop bomb beloved by hipsters.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On a visit to Milwaukee, found the Rock Bottom brewpub by the river, excellent beers esp the Hop Bomb IPA, food also looked good!

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Picked up these in Tesco this morning.

post-15-0-24275700-1414850644_thumb.jpg

The West Indies weighs in at 6% and the Dublin at 3.8. Nice to see Guinness doing porters again, I read somewhere(Michael Jackson?) that until the 1960s they brewed it for the Ulster market as it was more popular than the stout.

Off topic, but only a sideways step, perhaps this could the beer & cider thread. Has anyone tried this;

post-15-0-58052300-1414850710_thumb.jpg

Made with 458 varieties of cider apples from the Thatcher's heritage orchard. Quite potent at 8.4%, but not one for quaffing, more to savour.

• RMweb Premium

Tried the Guinness porters last night. Very nice. I do hope they keep them going.

Tonight popped into 'spoons and had a pint of Mordue Americana. Tasted much stronger than it's 5%.

When I got home, I had this.

post-15-0-08266800-1415225055_thumb.jpg

From Treguier, Brittany. A rather delicious stout, bottle conditioned, slightly sharp. Not available in the UK as far as I am aware, this was brought over by a colleague who hails from there.

edit: don't understand why when the photo has been rotated, it posts sideways.

Edited by JZ

Guinness, anywhere, anytime.

Maybe.

I'm not sure about Diageo's latest joint venture with Latrobe Brewing: Guinness Blonde American Lager. (I'm not sure if this link will be permitted outside the US.)

Beer Advocate wasn't super impressed, but at least according to the advertising it uses Willamette hops which means business for some local growers.

They're promoting it with a heavy advertising campaign in the US. Evidently they are trying to replicate something like the Shock Top (an Anheuser-Busch InBev offering) or Blue Moon (a MillerCoors offering) model being a Megabrewer in Craft brewer's clothing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I know that some of you have made your way to Portland and know the beer scene here.

The Bridgeport Brewery - a pioneer in brewpubs and craft brewing in the northwest is celebrating their 30th anniversary with a trilogy of beers.  Bridgeport is known for their IPAs and the trilogy reflects this.

post-1819-0-62483300-1415238847.jpg

The final beer in the selection is my favourite. It was made in collaboration with the Oregon State University fermentation science program. Yes, you can get degrees in beer and wine there!

post-1819-0-45713100-1415239079_thumb.jpg

Oregon State was once an agricultural school. Beer and wine production is a big part of the local business community and the university materially contributed to the development of the Oregon wine industry. It's nice to see this collaboration and tasty too!

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

My local 'spoons is selling off the remains of their festival ales @ 99p to good to miss, the more you drink the more you save! as one of my pals likes to say! Had a few pints of

brewed by Shepherd & Neame, very tasty and @ 3.9 a good session ale which was just as well!

post-13586-0-89572100-1415274910.jpg

• RMweb Premium

My local 'spoons is selling off the remains of their festival ales @ 99p to good to miss,

It always strikes me as strange that a nationwide chain such as 'Spoons seems to have different "rules" for each of their pubs.

Some managers seem to do as you noted and sell off ales cheap, or sometimes have a "special" ale or meal at a lower price than normal, whilst other outlets stick rigidly to national prices, meaning festival ales just get added on to the normal roster (at normal prices) after the end of the festival.

Keith