The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

We've recently had a craft brewery - Yellow Dog Brewery - open in the town, and there's another one (Moody Ales) which actually delivered its first brew to a local pub today. This evening, I've enjoyed a growlette (you can look it up) of Yellow Dog's Chase My Tail Pale Ale. The future looks pretty good!

• Like 4

Bedford beer festival is on this week and when I have finished typing this I shall return and carry on from where I left off yesterday!

Previously unknown to me is Leighton Buzzard brewery, apparently launched quite recently.  I can recommend their "Narrow Gauge" (3.9%), a refreshing golden ale with a dry flavour and crisp citrus finish. That's what it says in the festival programme, anyway.  They also make Restoration Ale (4.6%) and Rebel Yell (5.5%) which I have not [yet] sampled.

Another railway related brewery is Great Western, of Bristol and also new to me.  Their Hambrook Pale Ale (4%) is a hoppy yellow bitter with a fresh fruity flavour.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

fiver a pint - ridiculous

six quid a pint (3 per half) - ludicrous

everybody move to Herefordshire, cheapest beer in the country apparently

It is the 'craft beer' keg type hence they generally are dearer than cask where ever I have tried them.

I always thought that The Rake in Borough Market was one of the dearest places around (for pretty much unique imported USA craft beers) until I tried The North in Leeds!!

I have even seen some of the large USA bottles for £25 and upwards in the Euston Tap

However its cheaper than flying acros the pond to try them!!

Cheap beer is cheap. Expensive beer isn't. No different than wine or getting a McBurger v a real bit of quality beef.

Presently sitting in aforementioned Rake with an American Pils from Colorado and a Scottish Iced Tea ale. Both amazing.

• RMweb Gold

Cheap beer is cheap. Expensive beer isn't. No different than wine or getting a McBurger v a real bit of quality beef.

Presently sitting in aforementioned Rake with an American Pils from Colorado and a Scottish Iced Tea ale. Both amazing.

Would love to have joined you but had to load the layout and I have stinking cold which started last night no beer for a few days.

• RMweb Premium

Slightly off topic, I have an empty trellis in the garden at the moment. I was thinking about growing a hop plant just for the scent. Problem is I can't find seeds or a plant, does anyone know where I can get a plant or seeds? 

PhilJ W, on 10 Oct 2014 - 23:35, said:

Slightly off topic, I have an empty trellis in the garden at the moment. I was thinking about growing a hop plant just for the scent. Problem is I can't find seeds or a plant, does anyone know where I can get a plant or seeds? 

Meantime brewery give out a grow your own hop-in-a-box every February. The trouble with it is you need to winterise the seeds first for several weeks. That means they start growing too late in the season to get more than a couple of cones from it. We've tried for the past couple of years with very little success.

On the other hand, http://www.essentiallyhops.co.uk/acatalog/Hop_Plants.html can sell you starter plants of just about any variety you want.

• RMweb Premium

Meantime brewery give out a grow your own hop-in-a-box every February. The trouble with it is you need to winterise the seeds first for several weeks. That means they start growing too late in the season to get more than a couple of cones from it. We've tried for the past couple of years with very little success.

On the other hand, http://www.essentiallyhops.co.uk/acatalog/Hop_Plants.html can sell you starter plants of just about any variety you want.

I'll be putting an order in today, thank you. I remember visiting a friend in Rush Green Romford a good few years ago and hops were growing wild in a hedgerow near his house, on a hot summers day the scent was almost overpowering.

My exploration of the American IPAs that I didn't think I liked is continuing with a couple of bottles of

...Goose Island India Pale Ale. My local Wetherspoons was doing it for £1.49 a bottle (to clear room for the Mountains of Other American IPAs), so on the basis of the "cheap beer is cheap" argument I haven't "appreciated" several bottles at all... :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Today, I tried this one

beer_192321.jpg

Back to Goose Island I think, same price, much better overall - the Tap Room seems a tad unbalanced particularly in the finish, where there is a slightly odd aftertaste - in fact, I wonder if this one might be better not chilled.

Following a comment on here, I tried the local JDW to see if the £1.49 Goose Island existed in this area - needless to say, it didn't, but while in there, I did sample the Devil's Backbone keg IPA - decidedly average and a little lightweight for me in taste if not in strength.