The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

For years my favourite ale was Ringwood Old Thumper (5%), until Marstons took over, and it seemed to change for the worst, at about the same time, I dunno whether it's old age, but found I just can't take as much strong ale, so changed to Palmer's Copper Ale (3.8%), I've found it to be as tastefull as stronger ales, but what's better it leaves a very agreeable after-taste - that's good enough for me.

The Palmer's Copper is a decent bitter especially at 3.7%. Enjoyed one @ The Britannia in Rochester the other day. The Copper shows that it is possible to do a good balanced beer below 4% but far too many Brewers try to overcompensate and end up with a bitter hop tea with no malt backbone. Goody do a nice 3.5% pale called Genesis. Very light but not devoid of flavour or balance.

Take the "P" out of Palmers & you take away most of the taste  .  .  .  .

It's also rumoured in these parts that you can only be a landlord in a Palmer's pub if you've had a personality by-pass.

Having said that, the "200" is quite palatable.

• RMweb Premium

Just picked up a bottle of

4393.jpg

It's very tasty indeed - malt, malt malt, then the hops hit in the finish - excellent stuff indeed.

The Brooklyn beers are very good. Try the stout.

• RMweb Gold

Our first bottle of Rogue Amber this side of the pond, in Wetherspoons

post-1557-0-31088900-1412625073_thumb.jpg

PS checked my lottery tickets today.., it's at least next year before we get chance to have it the other side of the pond!!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got some of this today, but not sure, I found it just a little too "British in taste for a brew that it claimed to be based on the American IPA style.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

So it's a good job I got some

brooklyn_lager_nrb_355ml_1.jpg

• RMweb Premium

TBH I've not found the Brew Dog range to my taste.

Had a pint of Lacon's Legacy last night in the Bell, Leigh-on-Mendip. Not usually a fan of really pale beers, but this was pleasant enough. Going back to American beers, I was able to sample draught, sorry, draft, Samuel Adam's Boston lager and Sierra Nevada pale ale in a TGI Fridays, albeit in Rapid City, SD. And if anyone is near Amarillo, TX and has a hankering for a decent steak, try The Big Texan, where they have their own craft brewery producing some very good ales. One slight downside is that they chill them far too much.

As for the steaks, this was one of their smaller ones.

post-15-0-60288000-1412700378_thumb.jpg

Edited by JZ

I may have posted this before so if I have my apologies,

Did you know that the brewing process create among other compounds etc female hormones and this is so whether mass produced or real ale{actually real ales usually contain a higher proportion of femaale hormones?

Which explains why after 6 pints you start talking sh**e and can't park the car!

• RMweb Gold

Hello folks,

Off to Cologne and Wuppertal soon - any suggestions for Brauhasuen , Bier Bars.

Been to Wuppertaler Brauhaus, and will be going back again................

Rgds,

Andy

Cologne is home to Kolsch beer.

It's a very pale beer served in 20cl glasses, the idea is that you drink it fresh and the writers down come round with what looks like a milk bottle holder but for these small glasses of beer and plonk another one down in front of you, mark up on a beer Matt each your. If you don't wsmt another one put a beer mat on your empty glas or just soupy neine in time.

The most well known one is Frih which is just the other side of the cathedral from the station.

There is Kolsch bar almost opposite opposite the station on the way to mcDonalds

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Hello folks,

Off to Cologne and Wuppertal soon - any suggestions for Brauhasuen , Bier Bars.

Been to Wuppertaler Brauhaus, and will be going back again................

Rgds,

Andy

Colner Hofbrau worth a visit, next to the Cathedral. Try 'half a hen' while you're there.

We were in the York Tap on Monday, the Harbour IPA was very drinkable .

Last month, went on my first trip to America with a week in New York, rather enjoyed the Heartlands Brewery and their IPA, at 6.5% it had a bit of a bite!

Back to drinking my homebrew now, an Elderflower Golden Ale accompanied last night's dinner :-)

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

We were in the York Tap on Monday, the Harbour IPA was very drinkable .

Last month, went on my first trip to America with a week in New York, rather enjoyed the Heartlands Brewery and their IPA, at 6.5% it had a bit of a bite!

Back to drinking my homebrew now, an Elderflower Golden Ale accompanied last night's dinner :-)

Cheers,

Andrew

Theres a few locations of the Heartlands berwery in NYC. Good places.

There used to be and hopefully still is the Victory brewery outdoors set up in Battery Park in the summer months which basically consists of a trailer with taps built into the side. All out door seating. Took us a while to find it till we realisedthat it wasnt in a propoer building!!

• Like 1

Well this weekend coming sees the South Hants CAMRA autumn beer festival in Woolston, a nice small job with only 32 ales and a smattering of ciders & perry on offer.

It sold out a good couple of weeks ago now, so no tickets on the door for those unfortunate enough not to have secured them (Not I of course, got them on the night of issue!)

The beer list has just gone online tonight, a decent range of styles topping out with Vibrant Forest brewery's Black October imperial stout weighing in at 9% ABV :sungum:

We're booked in for the Saturday lunchtime session...really starting to look forward to it now.