The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

chrisf, on 15 Sept 2014 - 13:29, said:

More bottled beer at 'Spoons, eh?   Will they supply teats for those trainee drinkers who need them?  :jester:

Chris

Nowt wrong with a good bottled (or canned) beer. Vastly preferable to a cask of vinegar that is past its best. Most of these are in the 6-7% range anyway. Enough to blow the little kiddie's heads off. Teats are normally reserved for the drinkers of WKD or Bacardi Breezers.

• RMweb Premium

More bottled beer at 'Spoons, eh?   Will they supply teats for those trainee drinkers who need them?  :jester:

Chris

Nowt wrong with a good bottled (or canned) beer. Vastly preferable to a cask of vinegar that is past its best. Most of these are in the 6-7% range anyway. Enough to blow the little kiddie's heads off. Teats are normally reserved for the drinkers of WKD or Bacardi Breezers.

At least teats will stop you from spilling any. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I am not so much into craft beers. But went to a Trade Food & Drink Show this morning and one of our fellow exhibitors there had some sensational craft beers. The firm is only two years old and yet already exporting across the world! www.wildbeerco.com

We have tried soem of their beers and they are very good.

Beer from a fridge? Ugh. Proper beer should be room temperature.

Depends how hot you like yer room, leave the central heating temperature to a woman, an it'll be too hot !!! Ale is best kept at 52 degrees F (+ or - 2 degrees).  

I don't care what anyone sez, as long as I can get my quota of Palmers Copper Ale, I'm happy - hence the two glorious pubs mentioned in my signature. :sungum:

Ian, hope to make it to the Rake tonight. Tomorrow @ Camden Town Brewery's tap room the very nice people from Ska Brewing will be there. One of the biggest problems in London at the moment is there are just too many beer events happening. I've got at least 20 invites to various tap takeovers, launches, visits, special events, etc coming in the next month. This doesn't include the Beer Council meetings. Also starting to prepare for taking a formal judging course soon.

Agree and disagree with Paul. Real ale should be served around 11c. (52f) My personal preference though is to go a few degrees colder. Even as cold as 8c.(46f) This gives me time to drink slowly and enjoy the beer without it becoming too warm. That is also a good test of the beer's stability. If a real ale develops chill haze at 8c it isn't going to be great at any temp. Many other beer styles need to be served colder though. Higher alcohol beers benefit from colder serving temperatures especially.

Another new brewery launching at the end of the month. Bexley Brewing. Yes, the boring borough will once again have a brewery.

Joseph, Wildbeerco have done some amazing brews over the past couple of years. Their Epic Saison is one of the few British attempts at the farmhouse style that actually works.

• RMweb Gold

They had done one particularly weird beer that they were showing yesterday. 7 UK breweries paired up with 7 European breweries to create beers with the colour of the rainbow. They got indigo. The colouring comes from a Thai flower! Super beer though. Light and refreshing like a wheat beer but with more flavour.

• Like 1

Aft'noon all,

Arriving in from work around 3pm on such a gorgeous afternoon and realising that I'd already quaffed the last 'Summer lass' brought on a moment of panic, however, this was short lived following a hasty drive to the Wincle brewery for supplies. The thought of 6 bottles for £16 or 12 for £25 didn't take much consideration...I even purchased a couple of the shapely new half pint glasses as well. The last couple of hours have been spent in deep contentment somewhere at the bottom of the garden.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

you know the night is going to go belly up when..

you order a pint of Leeds Pale and you are given a pint of Guiness (this was refused)...

then you order a pint of Rudgate Ruby Mild and get...a pint of 6X...

I did get a pint of Pale and a pint of ruby mild eventually and they were very good....

Happy drinking everyone!

• Like 2

Major pub crawl last night. I do it purely in the name of research. Honest.

Highlights: Black Heart Camden town.

Ska brewing of Durango CO. Modus Hoperandi. On tap which is a first for the UK. 6.8% American IPA. Nicely balanced. One of my favourite beers.

Against the Grain brewery, Atilla the Hen. An autumn red ale weighing in at a hefty 12.7% 1/3 of a pint to finish an evening is perfect.

Swiss brewer Brauerel Locher 1936 Pilsner style. 4.7% and much nicer than any fizzy frozen cat wee like Fosters.

Lagunitas from the US "A little Sumpin' Extra" double IPA 8.5%

Earl's and Siren craft brew French Farmhouse style Saison collaboration. 6.2% not too sour and very refreshing.

Brewdog Camden

Russian Doll series. double IPA 8%. Not as good as the Lagunitis but the best of the Russian dolls.

Mikkeller American Dream pale lager. 4.6% nice take on the American lager without being too sweet or fizzy

Brew by numbers Berliner Weisse. 4.2% German Weisse cloudy loveliness. Not too sharp or sour. Nicely balanced.

The lowlights: not worth having.

Brewdog Electric India saison. 6.5% nothing like a good saison. Had it infused with pineapple allegedly. I think they forgot the pineapples.

Brewdog Russian Doll barley wine. 10%. Poor attempt. So many other barley wines out there that are much better.

Brewdog Russian Doll pale ale. 4% of meh!

All the rest. Hare & Billet in Blackheath. Early session lighter English beers. Real ale fans rejoice.

Otley Amarill-o 4.3% bitter. Nice well balanced. Amarillo hops giving it a slightly sharper edge than many bitters. Yum

Brew by Numbers Session IPA 4.5% Chinook Amarillo. More pine note an the Otley as expected. Great beer though.

Camden v Mohawk collaboration. Black lager. 5.8% sort of a combine a stout with a lager. Roasted malt balances with the lightness of the lager style.

Gloucester Brewery Galaxy 5.2% golden ale not spectacular but a decent beer.

The Celt Experience brewery Bleddyn 1075 English IPA 5.6% lovely. Not a hop bomb like many IPAs a good introduction to the style for confirmed twiggy bitter fans.

Great Heck Brewing. Dave. 3.8% bitter. Lovely dark and full of flavour for such a low alcohol beer. A perfectly named beer for building RMweb modules.

Now time for a fry up.

• Like 2

A bit of news I can now share since its gone public. The nice people at Whetherspoon's are embracing the whole craft beer concept. (adapt or die)

Starting on Oct 1 there will be rolled out changes to their pubs. Many will get an additional craft beer fridge. Most will get another tap font. The rest will reduce their other selections to accommodate.

From the list the "whole craft concept" looks like "a whole lot of IPAs", which to my mind is all well and good but little better than the massed ranks of Golden Ales and samey Bitters my local 'Spoons serves up. Good to see the Rogue. Maybe one day we'll see a Barley Wine.

I wish they'd be a little more adventurous with their European range. Even something like Duvel would be a start.

Mark Dickerson, on 25 Sept 2014 - 13:08, said:

From the list the "whole craft concept" looks like "a whole lot of IPAs", which to my mind is all well and good but little better than the massed ranks of Golden Ales and samey Bitters my local 'Spoons serves up. Good to see the Rogue. Maybe one day we'll see a Barley Wine.

I wish they'd be a little more adventurous with their European range. Even something like Duvel would be a start.

Vedett and Budvar Dark are being added to their bottle range as well. It will take time. The IPA is by and far the biggest craft style seller so it makes sense to start with that. No doubt as this evolves there will be more adventurous selections but for now its a good start.

Any tips on decent ale in Reading, preferably not more than 20 mins walking time from the station, as I will be staying there on my trip to Scaleforum.

Cheers

Dont know if it's still open with all the redevelopment of the station but the Three Guineas had a good selection of ales on. Other than that try the Alehouse (ex-Hobgoblin) that has a superb range and is in middle of the main shopping drag or ZeroDegrees for something a little diff and also v good pizza

Dan

• RMweb Gold

Dont know if it's still open with all the redevelopment of the station but the Three Guineas had a good selection of ales on. Other than that try the Alehouse (ex-Hobgoblin) that has a superb range and is in middle of the main shopping drag or ZeroDegrees for something a little diff and also v good pizza

Dan

Yes the Three Guineas is still there, recently refurbished but still a good range of ales.

Was in there last SUnday evening.

The Alehouse is our favourite, just opposite one of the Oracle shopping centre entrances and only 5 - 7 minutes walk from the station

Vedett and Budvar Dark are being added to their bottle range as well. It will take time. The IPA is by and far the biggest craft style seller so it makes sense to start with that. No doubt as this evolves there will be more adventurous selections but for now its a good start.

As a dark beer (finally) Budvar Dark is a good choice - it seemed to appear in the odd City 'Spoons - but Vedett just looks like a loss of nerve as they could've gone with Duvel from the same brewery. We shall see.