OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• 2 weeks later...

First sale was about 09:17, which was me! First stop at any stand...

Great book, really enjoyed it. I knew there were issues with the 74's but I didn't realise quite how bad they were at times. I used to see the odd ones sitting in Clapham Junction yard on the way to school. Now I realise they may have been loco's that had failed!

The 71's I'd see at Hither Green and Dover as I went down to see my paternal Grandparents in Deal :)

Luke

Hi Im not able to get to the show, hows progress with the book?

Great book, really enjoyed it. I knew there were issues with the 74's but I didn't realise quite how bad they were at times. I used to see the odd ones sitting in Clapham Junction yard on the way to school. Now I realise they may have been loco's that had failed!

The 71's I'd see at Hither Green and Dover as I went down to see my paternal Grandparents in Deal :)

Luke

Thanks Luke for the feedback, so you got to see the book before I did!! So glad you have enjoyed it.

Simon

• Like 1

Luke

My copy arrived today, and it is a great book indeed. I remember as a youngster seeing 71's passing through Petts Wood and wondering why on earth they needed a pantograph, and thinking that some had theirs covered up (i.e. 74's)!

Still wish a 74 had appeared in green so that Dave could issue one!

My copy arrived today, and it is a great book indeed. I remember as a youngster seeing 71's passing through Petts Wood and wondering why on earth they needed a pantograph, and thinking that some had theirs covered up (i.e. 74's)!

Still wish a 74 had appeared in green so that Dave could issue one!

I also have memories of them through Petts Wood: my grandparents' house was in Queensway, backing onto the railway embankment up to the southern end of the station.

Petts Wood's iron footbridge was responsible for removing the pantograph from at least one class 71; apparently, the panto decided to pop up of its own accord just before the locomotive passed under said footbridge!

I also have memories of them through Petts Wood: my grandparents' house was in Queensway, backing onto the railway embankment up to the southern end of the station.

Petts Wood's iron footbridge was responsible for removing the pantograph from at least one class 71; apparently, the panto decided to pop up of its own accord just before the locomotive passed under said footbridge!

Allegedly the pantograph would be forgotten when parking the loco and with air pressure leaking away, it would slowly collapse down. When the loco was made really to go again and with air pressure now available, the pantograph would rise and be struck by the first overhead obstacle. 

Thanks Luke for the feedback, so you got to see the book before I did!! So glad you have enjoyed it.

Simon

I have just received my copy, too. An excellent reference with very good coverage of the type: thanks go to you and John Wenyon for producing it. 

Mike

I have just received my copy, too. An excellent reference with very good coverage of the type: thanks go to you and John Wenyon for producing it. 

Mike

Mike

Many thanks for the feedback. It makes it all worthwhile when people enjoy what you have written.

Best wishes

Simon

Hi guys

Having a bit of an odd issue with my 71.

If you check this video out at 0:25 in you will see what I mean.

Look at the front bogie, it's clearly off on the leading wheel set.

She does this as random locations and at differing speeds.

I can't find anything that is causing it, she does seem rather light over the leading wheels.

Anyone know how to fix this please? 

Hi,

I don't know how to fix it yet* but I think its related to friction between the bogies and the rest of the loco.

My DJ Models loco throws it self off 3rd radius curves on my test track, most often when the room is warm. The bogies are a little bit reluctant to turn on my loco when the loco is sitting on a table but freer when the loco is upside down.

*I think I've spotted something - the sandbox is very close to the front valance when the loco is sitting properly as opposed to being handled. When the train is moving forward the bogie will move forward a fraction of a millimetre on its pivot due to the driving wheels pushing the bogie forward. When the loco goes over a slight rise or bump this friction will be exaggerated (because the wrap around valance is swept backwards).

No wonder the DJ Models 71 looks the part - it may have scale clearances in places.

When I've got the time I'll do a few circuits with the 71 and then carefully take a tiny bit off the inside corner of the valances with a needle file and see if that improves things.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK

Please PM me with details of book and how to obtain. Thanks.

There is a whole thread about the book, post 31 is what you are looking for, I meant to link to it but deleted it instead.

Edit-

Here you go-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116943-new-book-on-the-southern-region-class-71-class-74-locomotives/

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

BR Green 71 Weathered Kernow's now at £99.99, follows the close out of the blue at £79.99!

I couldn't resist and ordered one.

The e-mail confirming it had been shipped came through a whole 7 minutes later - that must be a new record for fast service!

Hi guys

Having a bit of an odd issue with my 71.

If you check this video out at 0:25 in you will see what I mean.

Look at the front bogie, it's clearly off on the leading wheel set.

She does this as random locations and at differing speeds.

I can't find anything that is causing it, she does seem rather light over the leading wheels.

Anyone know how to fix this please? 

I tested my one out for the first time this week and same thing happened at the same piece of track. Looked at the Track and there was a slight 'Bump' or lift and the front end came off. I leveled out the track and no more problems. She runs Lovely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't resist and ordered one.

The e-mail confirming it had been shipped came through a whole 7 minutes later - that must be a new record for fast service!

I’ve known five. But yes, very very fast turnaround.

Quite, and when this transaction comes to the attention of the Domestic Authorities a snivelling weakling to boot.

Stu

Thats why I a waiting until payday, I have worked 36 hours overtime this month so plenty of pocket money for me (and Kernow)!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve known five. But yes, very very fast turnaround.

And postie has delivered!

27 hours from order to delivery at this time of year.  An amazing performance by both Kernow and Royal Mail.

• Like 1