OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately these retailers are offering something they will never have, as the press release to them was specific in that it said the original 4 were crowd sourced only, with subsequent models of different codes and running numbers/liveries being made for them between 6 and 12 months later.

Not sure why they havnt altered their info to be honest, but to answer your question, no orders for these via traders will be encouraged and honoured, as it steps away from the 'reward' based sourcing the first 4 class 71's are for.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

Thanks Dave, I wondered if that was the case.  I'll make sure my order goes via Kernow as I want the money to help with funding the project.

What I really want is a class 74, so my plan is to order a class 71 to help with the project, then as soon as a class 74 is available to pre-order or crowd fund, then I'll sell the class 71 and put the money towards a class 74.

I wonder if you might sell more class 74s in the long run, as it is much easier to think of an excuse under rule 1 to run a class 74 as at least they can realistically run away from the third rail - whereas a real class 71 would be unable to move unless a third rail is present, which many (most?) don't have on their layout.

However, I can see the logic of doing the class 71 first, as at least one still exists for you to scan.

Regards,

Pete

Hi everyone,

Figures for class 71 pre orders stand at just under 1/3 pledged of the total 1000 required.

Many thanks to all who have pledged so far, as this is not a bad start at all.

Once more advertising and the link to the Kernow section to pledge gets published in the magazines it should boost figures accordingly.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dave any updates on this exciting venture at all such as order numbers or developments ?

seriously considering ordering 2 of these but money is tight as a camels @7$3 in a sandstorm

so need  to figure out  what sort of timeline there is left on orders.

Ta muchly 

Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE

Hi Trailrage,

Primarily I'm still waiting for replies from my mails to the NRM at Shildon and the Science Museum regarding getting 'approval' to scan and a licence.

I'm hoping I can get that cleared up this week and rest assured, once I know, you'll knowcalmost as quickly.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

I know screen colour reproduction is as vague as can be, but really think that is blue, not green. Do satisfy yourself that I'm wrong before bidding!

I think further evidence is that the numbers are in the original positions - when re-painted into blue the numbers were moved to behind the cab doors because the yellow wrap round extended too far back onto the cab sides. Also is that a blue data panel under the LH number providing some contrast to the green ?

Looks like E5010, of which there is a picture of it taken in June 1970 in spanking blue repaint here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/6251012883/

so it got repainted in blue not long after that photo and it's unlikely to have been blue already at that time so it must be green in the photo.

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

I know screen colour reproduction is as vague as can be, but really think that is blue, not green. Do satisfy yourself that I'm wrong before bidding!

Not going to bid Ian . I looked at it very carefully and convinced myself that the TOPS vinyl sticker was blue, loco green. I doubt if the BR totem would have been applied over blue too as per class 76s.

Neil

Looks green to me and it has a late style green-era logo.  Did those ever appear on blue locos?

Not on 71s but a few exceptions did occur, with the old crest on blue livery. I'm not too sure if it ever happened with full yellow ends but certainly there were one or two class 25s with blue syp and old style numerals and crests.

As always, there are exceptions to whatever rules applied. However, I agree that this particular picture shows a green 71 with fye.

Not on 71s but a few exceptions did occur, with the old crest on blue livery. I'm not too sure if it ever happened with full yellow ends but certainly there were one or two class 25s with blue syp and old style numerals and crests.

As always, there are exceptions to whatever rules applied. However, I agree that this particular picture shows a green 71 with fye.

There's a picture in one of the strathwood books ( I think something like 'spotting on the western in the 70's) that has a green 24 on swindon for cutting with the double arrows on its flank.

Cheers

Dave

So, how is this development going then? feel like I have taken a punt as never got involved with anything from the start like this! but it will be exciting to have helped get it off the ground.

What kind of motor and mech will it have?

Hi Mike,

The project has been slightly delayed gaining access to the real thing because of supposed licensing issues with the NRM.

Permission, despite having been granted through the top guy in York, apparently needs obtaining from Shildon! No one there is answering my mails so far, although the guy in charge there is only 1 week from retirement. However, according to my source, there's no replacement for him yet. Lol

So it's a bit like swimming in treacle at the moment, but I'm sure it will be resolved soon.

As for the model? It will have a Coreless motor, 21 pin decoder socket, space for the biggest sealed speaker I can find, directional lighting etc etc.

More news when I have it.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Mike,

The project has been slightly delayed gaining access to the real thing because of supposed licensing issues with the NRM.

Permission, despite having been granted through the top guy in York, apparently needs obtaining from Shildon! No one there is answering my mails so far, although the guy in charge there is only 1 week from retirement. However, according to my source, there's no replacement for him yet. Lol

So it's a bit like swimming in treacle at the moment, but I'm sure it will be resolved soon.

As for the model? It will have a Coreless motor, 21 pin decoder socket, space for the biggest sealed speaker I can find, directional lighting etc etc.

More news when I have it.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the fast reply!

That does sound frustrating! wonder why the block.

Coreless motor sounds very nice, I am just a DC man myself so DCC stuff does not matter personally.

Lights are a must.

Can't wait to have this gliding around my railway :)

Only saw a real one once!

I was at school staring out the window as usual and one shunted down from the Waterloo line to Havant junction then went back up! Knew it was a 71 by the little step on the front.

More power to you

Mike

Dave, I would have thought that as long as you didn't do E5001, the NRM wouldn't have any say over licensing the model.

How are we doing regarding numbers for the funding of the model, at this stage?

Dave, I would have thought that as long as you didn't do E5001, the NRM wouldn't have any say over licensing the model.

How are we doing regarding numbers for the funding of the model, at this stage?

It's about at 50% subscribed at the moment but looking at the figures I'm thinking of adding another green one and a green fywp E5010 to the list.

What do others think?

Cheers

Dave