Highland Class 31 D5511

Strathwood

• Trade Member

Just completing Looking back at Class 31 Locomotives for publication soon, and wondered just how far north of Inverness D5511 did indeed make it when it was tested when new. Also what Inverness crews thought of it in comparison to the Class 20s, 24s and 26s they had experience on as well at the time. Have only ever seen black and white pictures of D5511 stabled on Inverness shed.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p965246791/h610786dc#h610786dc

Did it go northwards at all, or was it confined to what must have been a long slow climb back and forth to Perth over the hill.

Kevin

• Trade Member

There's a reference in this thread (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55590-far-north-line-traffic/) to a published photo of it at Tain and I'm somewhere at home one of my books includes a photo of it at Kyle of Lochalsh 

Martin

Many thanks Martin, thats a useful start, did it come off at Tain or keep going north to Helmsdale or beyond I wonder? Also great to have it confirmed that it made it as far as the Kyle. Out of interest were the test trains made up from coaching stock or did it find itself on freight, or even a mixed?

Thanks,

Kevin

The 1958 ROs are a good source of info, Kevin.

The August edition gives June 18th as the day D5511 went north to Glasgow and later to Perth.

In the September volume it states that D5511's travels have included runs to Wick; also over the West Highland and Oban lines. Also coal trains between Crew Junction and 'the Glasgow area' plus mainline freight workings to Carlisle.

In the October edition it reports that D5511 underwent tests on the Edinburgh suburban line with 30 and 35 loaded minfits between south Leith and Gorgie on 17th/18th July, then from Crew Junct to Carmyle at a later date but with similar loads, and subsequently on the Waverley route with both goods and passenger workings.

(O/T from this but also included in the report is D602 on a trial run to Slateford on Aug 30th)

There is nothing in the November and December editions, so maybe the loco had returned south sometime in August 1958.

• Trade Member

Thanks guys,

Have been surfing on the internet and have found pics to support D5511 going north via The Waverley" and back to 30A via York. Suggested in certain quarters it went to Fort William too whilst it was at Eastfield, whereas St.Margarets sent it along the Waverley Route. It is also suggested that D8208 did a stint in Scotland too with a couple of months at 18A Toton beforehand, with short spells at 66A Polmadie, 61A Kittybrewster and 62A Thornton Junction. But thats another story...

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

I've had a quick look and found the photo I had vaguely thought was at Kyle of Lochalsh but it's actually on the West Highland at Fort William - I remembered it being by the water but I was thinking a bit far north.

For reference it's on page 42 of Brian Haresnape's British Rail Fleet Survey, Vol 1 (Early prototype & pilot scheme diesel electrics)

Martin

• 2 months later...

Too late for the main reason this thread began perhaps, but I have found a photo of D5511 with its test train of minfits on the Edinburgh suburban line in July 1958.

It is credited to W.S. Sellar and is on page 46 of "Transition From Steam" by H.C.B. Rodgers.

(Going O/T somewhat.  For those who wish to read a well informed potted history of the reasons behind the BR loco traction policy of the 1950s, the first few chapters of this book are recommended).

• Trade Member

Its a bit ironic that the last built of the class D5862 now lurks on the Strathspey Railway at Boat of Garten, albeit with English Electric power rather than the original Mirlees engines, having provided good service to the preserved line. I must admit to closing my eyes when I lived in Boat of Garten from time to time and listening to D5862 shunting from my garden and thinking back to happy days on the platform ends at Kings Cross.

Kevin

Archived