Vopak Chemical Complex, Barry docks terminal.

naturol

That FAA is looking good mate. Looks a good colour match too.

Cheers Ben,

The halfords cans are in my books great, they never clog, always good coverage, and generally you'll find

a close match.

Would post a few more updates but the plasterer has only just left after skimming around the recently installed new lift hatch and ladder, so Unable to gain access and take some pictures.

Let me know when your over the bridge next.

Paul

• Like 1

Yeah baby, found something new to build whilst all other stuff is still on the bench....

Thanks go to the Rich Martin flickr site for these three images of a NR.MPV at Swindon a few weeks ago.

Whilst I have the re branded Railtrack version, I just gotta have a bash at this bad boy.

Looks to me like a pile driver type mechanism, so off to the auto Cad for some outlines for the laser cutter.

Guess most of the jib will be styrene box section, but the cab element can be cut out.

post-9901-0-29709700-1424987188_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-09302700-1424987202_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-83561200-1424987217_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul I'm going L&B Saturday dinner time, off to Oz Sunday so need to get some stuff for my dad before I go. Will defo have to come have a nosey when I get back at the end of March if that's ok with you?

Thanks Ben

sure thing, you have my mobile number, give me a ring when your at the shop and I will call down with my boy.
  • Like 1

Gentle plodding another hour but nothing worth taking a photo of, but more for the to do list for the MPV.

Back to 2005 and Wrexham for this trial trip working to kronospan,post-9901-0-87055500-1425335934.jpg

started by spraying up my collection of frets, and still adding more detail to complex.

Bit more on the FAA. And added more handrails.

Built up a chemical discharge point and started fixing the pipework to the elevated steelwork.

Couple of pictures to bring upto date.post-9901-0-96410800-1425842963.jpgpost-9901-0-85084200-1425842985.jpgpost-9901-0-29137600-1425843005.jpg

Next week sees Ranelagh bridge on a trip working to Swindon steam museum.

• Like 3

Some pictures taken prior to christmas, mislaid on my old phone.

The majority will be of a monthly, Thursday working which included the Polybulks cut into the train at suitable points, where the train is split and shunted from town side of the dock around and onto the headshunt by Jewsons. The split polybulks can be seen on one of the Middle shots,post-9901-0-62015000-1425938418_thumb.jpg

Taken from millenium way, on the over bridge just prior to the vale of gloom council docks office, Cadoxton is away in the distance.post-9901-0-41358500-1425938528_thumb.jpg

Taken on the first 180deg curve on the approach to the first crossing near to Woodhams rental warehouses.

post-9901-0-24194000-1425938628_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-39744200-1425938646_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As the train crosses the dock it leaves the secure yard and the first run round loop on the site of the old Dunn bros scrap facility, now being used to store containers. And to split the train prior to crossing the main dock road that leads to DOW, Jewsons etc, and the Bendricks, Atlantic trading estate etc.

You can see the spilt polybulk left in the loop for tripping shortly.

I got some well strange looks taking this picture, I was stood on the cab of an Iveco 7.5ton tipper.

post-9901-0-32972700-1425939103_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-16499200-1425939123_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-15486700-1425939148_thumb.jpg

The loco then travels around the second 180 deg curve and onto the seaward side of the dock,

Goodness me, the vegetation in the first shot is distinctly shaggy and unkempt.  If it grows any more some clown will have it designated a site of special scientific interest.

Chris

Chris, that is some crystal ball you have.....

Newts, I say, newts,

They have been found on the dock. And yes, they are special to survive in that toxic environment.

After many trips with the camera there over many years to capture the motive power It's now a bit like the lake in Springfield next to the power plant,

But luckily it's only had a detrimental elect on my brother, poor Ugly soul.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been tinkering on the roads and the stock, so all the various container frets, pocket wagons, etc are now a shade of maroon awaiting weathering and detailing,

My plan is to display the layout at almost eye level, so that you can only look into the layout, I have set out a rough pelmet across the length of the layout around 200-250 mm above the track level. This had the effect of drawing you into the scene,

I tried it on Parcel Point but never got to exhibit it so, I'm giving it another go, the chemical plant is 300 mm high so disappears behind the pelmet, giving a greater illusion of height. I want to introduce a few more line of sight blocks, to create various focal points of visual interest. Like the container stacks,

One consideration however is the viewing experience for any less able bodied individuals who may attend a show, should I get any invites to exhibit it..... I have previously shown Ranelagh bridge and castle works at chest height, and only once received a comment of dis approval at a show, and one other comment on the forum, so, it is relevant, but how much compared to that of the bulk of visitors. I seek views on this.

I have begun the process of creating the photographic back scene, and now the weather is changing and the light is better I will try for the panorama soon, I have sourced a printer who can develop the 12' long by 1' high image locally in Pontypridd.

I have chosen to use scale scenes Tarmac sheets printed off my computer for the roadways and hard standings and this can be seen in the images.

There is a substantial amount of road markings to go on and I have bought some gel pens in white and yello from hobby craft to achieve this.

Next up will be ballasting and ground cover, and the extensive areas of overgrowth by brambles and small self seeding trees.

I want to create kerbs but not sure how to go about it, so any suggestions are welcome.

There is a swap meet this Saturday at Cogan leisure centre so might pick up some detailing there.

post-9901-0-87189200-1428611037_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-15037200-1428611059_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-81809500-1428611450_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Gentle plodding another hour but nothing worth taking a photo of, but more for the to do list for the MPV.

Back to 2005 and Wrexham for this trial trip working to kronospan,attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I had to check the date on this one and make sure it wasn't April 1st!

Is that really an MPV on the logs?  If so, will this be a regular working do you know, and is it only around Barry that it will be in service?

I see the Colas 56's pass me on my daily commute from Newport to Cardiff, I'd keep a closer eye out if I knew this was coming through! :)

Great layout updates btw, wish I had the time to dedicate to my layout... :(

I had to check the date on this one and make sure it wasn't April 1st!

Is that really an MPV on the logs?  If so, will this be a regular working do you know, and is it only around Barry that it will be in service?

I see the Colas 56's pass me on my daily commute from Newport to Cardiff, I'd keep a closer eye out if I knew this was coming through! :)

Great layout updates btw, wish I had the time to dedicate to my layout... :(

Hi Matt.

To the best of my knowledge this was a similar trial to utilise MPVs for revenue earning use, they also ran on short trip workings with containers, and also ran to Hereford to bulmers cider factory for some reason.

By deduction they obviously weren't successful. I'm sure there are other forum members more knowledgable on this than I.

Thanks for the praise, I will endeavour to continue.

Looking good Paul, nice to see the areas of bare board you talked me through coming together. I think it looks good with the surroundings being modelled rather than more track.

Any joy with those stock box dims?

Cheers

Been working all weekend so only limited developments on the layout. Put down more Tarmac and weathered the container frets.

Bought a bag of noch trees and some second hand European lima tank wagons for £4 each at the Cogan laisure centre swap meet yesterday, all fictional petroleum liveries but I'll strip them and respray them as chemical tanks with a faded orange stripe.

Been working all weekend so only limited developments on the layout. Put down more Tarmac and weathered the container frets.

Bought a bag of noch trees and some second hand European lima tank wagons for £4 each at the Cogan laisure centre swap meet yesterday, all fictional petroleum liveries but I'll strip them and respray them as chemical tanks with a faded orange stripe.

Interesting idea, which lima tanks are you referring to?

After many trips with the camera there over many years to capture the motive power It's now a bit like the lake in Springfield next to the power plant,

But luckily it's only had a detrimental elect on my brother, poor Ugly soul.

Oi !

I resemble that remark

Brian R

Interesting idea, which lima tanks are you referring to?

Just looked at Hattons site and they are HO but they are European gauge so quite large,

And they want £18 each, so the £4 I paid is a bit of a bargain.

post-9901-0-82809600-1428873311_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ah ok, that type. Good choice, they'll definately look the part as chemical tankers. I've dabbled in using big ho wagons to represent oo wagons (got a thread on it somewhere) but never got around to some nice international chemical tanks.

Ah ok, that type. Good choice, they'll definately look the part as chemical tankers. I've dabbled in using big ho wagons to represent oo wagons (got a thread on it somewhere) but never got around to some nice international chemical tanks.

This sort of thing

post-9901-0-33442900-1428875323_thumb.jpg