Revised Mk3s?

ThaneofFife

Hi Paul

Get 100 RMW users and ask them to list what details matter to them and what details do not matter and you will get a very interesting combination.

For example, to me the HST looks quite wrong and the errors stick out like the sore thumb. Yet I would happily mix the different types of MK3 catering car that upsets people so much (ECML VS CC and GWML variant).

Equally, I am repeatedly told that my Lima 37's are wrong- too short/long too tall/low but to me they capture the look quite well.

I am working on a fictitious sub class of freight loco that never saw (routine) passenger working. Big deal. Yet some here are building fictitious stations and panicking over putting stock on it that was based 300 miles away from their chosen location.

• Like 1

Hi Paul

Get 100 RMW users and ask them to list what details matter to them and what details do not matter and you will get a very interesting combination.

For example, to me the HST looks quite wrong and the errors stick out like the sore thumb. Yet I would happily mix the different types of MK3 catering car that upsets people so much (ECML VS CC and GWML variant).

Equally, I am repeatedly told that my Lima 37's are wrong- too short/long too tall/low but to me they capture the look quite well.

I am working on a fictitious sub class of freight loco that never saw (routine) passenger working. Big deal. Yet some here are building fictitious stations and panicking over putting stock on it that was based 300 miles away from their chosen location.

You're quite right, of course. For example, I think that ViTrains 37s capture the windscreens better than Bachmann ones but many prefer the Bachmann version. Excuse me for not digging out my ancient Lima 37 to remind myself what I think of it.

I'm curious, though. If your sub-class of freight locomotive never saw routine passenger working, how can it have seen non-routine passenger working if it's fictitious? Note that I've nothing against might-have-beens as such.

Have we drifted into a riddle discussion?

It is a freight locomotive class. It was built as a freight locomotive only. It has been used on passenger workings as a rescue locomotive and for enthusiast specials back in the dim and distant past. It was never used for regular, scheduled passenger services.

I am modifying one to represent how the design would have evolved had the once-planned passenger variant actually been built. It is half way through and has had a roundtuit reference number applied.

Have we drifted into a riddle discussion?

It is a freight locomotive class. It was built as a freight locomotive only. It has been used on passenger workings as a rescue locomotive and for enthusiast specials back in the dim and distant past. It was never used for regular, scheduled passenger services.

I am modifying one to represent how the design would have evolved had the once-planned passenger variant actually been built. It is half way through and has had a roundtuit reference number applied.

Ah! I only wondered how a fictitious locomotive could have pulled anything. It's clear now. Thanks.

My main gripe it that neither the HST nor the MK3s have NEM pockets. Another bug bear is the missing vents on the buffet car, and on the TGS the seats are a different colour than the rest of the set (blue/grey) and the buffers need to go as well. 

The price is high too when you compare them to the new MK2Es, don't get it??

Edited by thebritfarmer

The buffet roof vents can be rectified very, very easily (not that you should have to at that price).

What cannot be rectified easily is the totally different moulding that has been used. The end vents are in fairly low relief and the roof ribs do not match up whatsoever.

Very poor.

I am going to investigate whether silicone moulds can be made from the old Lima bodies (preferably after fitting with Shawplan parts) and totally bypass Hornby altogether. Benefit is that there's no copyright or patent breach in place by doing so.

• RMweb Premium

I realise this might prove controversial, but I am not convinced the power cars are all that great either.

- livery is incorrect on all the BR variants

- The bogies feature incorrect detail for any type not infected with a MTU replacement power plant

- The grill- much lauded for its ability to see straight through (no Marston's behind to look at!) has the wrong number of grill slats

- Wrong numbers for guard/ non-guard variety (BR variants only of course)

- wind deflector below the wiper present when it shouldn't be

- Not great detail around the inner ends

- Worst of all: look at the nose, across the lip- it is far too flat. There should be a very subtle curvature across it- something that a bloke with a measuring stick got right 30 years ago but modern LASER measuring cannot.

They aren't bad, but for that price it is somewhat irritating that there's all this clever detailing and yet so many fundamental flaws with the basics.

I appreciate this won't sit well with everyone and I respect your viewpoint, so I ask that you respect mine.

PS I wouldn't touch any more Mazak built chassis until there is a cast iron (!) guarantee that the zinc issues are resolved.

Good summary Derek, now I could be completely wrong here (often am!) but when I was masking up my FGW power cars, I couldn't quite get it right across the headlights, perhaps indicating there is something slightly amiss in the positioning, I tried following prototype pics but just couldn't quite nail it!!

• Like 1

Hello James

You weren't the chap that I was conversing with about HST pipework by any chance?

If so, you couldn't point me to which of your threads it was, could you? I didn't book mark it but aside from the HST it looked a damned good thread to read.

As for the lamp clusters, thanks for reminding me. The lamp unit is, I think set too high from the lip- not much, but enough- something with the lip-lamp, lamp, lamp- w/screen relationship that just isn't right. What I meant about the lamps though is the outer "glass" and the recessed lights, compared to the older generation that had a much thicker lens and "tubes" of plastic from the lens.

I can't remember who- maybe on your thread- that suggested painting inside black to disguise it. I haven't had chance to try it yet.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Derek, that was me! :)

My thread is here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44066-james-makins-workbench-electrostars-90s-gwml-oxfordshire-wells-green-tmd/page-13

The FGW 'Fag Packet' power cars start on page 13 (Jan 2015) and then lots of varying discussion in the 6-7 odd pages after including the Mk3s with the connecting pipe work etc!

I'd already finished my power cars but for the next ones (GWT 'Merlin') I'll definitely have a look at trying out the tips on changing the look of the lights with black paint and see how it works out!

CDL fittings on Mk3 HST coaches.  

Where these retro fitted to coaches while still in Exec InterCity125 livery or just Swallow versions ?  Yes.............. Hornby even has them (incorrectly) on some versions of their Blue/Grey MK3's  - strange as some being ex Lima coaches that never had them ? 

• RMweb Premium

I still need some HST cars and I am modelling late 70s early 80s or so

I have a late ringfield set with scale length centre cars all look same batch to me, all clearish glazing, no Lima look, for length reason dropping a couple of coaches pre TGS .

Looks like Joeff for loco hauled and Lima or Y2000 Hornby for centres still

I need a 3a set (with BG and Mark 1 buffet) and a NESW HST

Britfarmer

There was at least one (and I believe possibly a couple more though I've never seen them) that were used on the WCML. They were slightly different but basically the same.

I was told (and have not had this confirmed) that they ordered a few spare TGS's that they ended up not needing so they were re-wired for WCML use, with buffers,RCH wires, drop buckeye and had slight changes for WCML requirements.

Hopefully someone with more info will come along, but in the meantime that might help.

Britfarmer

There was at least one (and I believe possibly a couple more though I've never seen them) that were used on the WCML. They were slightly different but basically the same.

I was told (and have not had this confirmed) that they ordered a few spare TGS's that they ended up not needing so they were re-wired for WCML use, with buffers,RCH wires, drop buckeye and had slight changes for WCML requirements.

Hopefully someone with more info will come along, but in the meantime that might help.

Britfarmer

Are you thinking of the 3 mk3 bso coaches currently used with the fgw sleepers formally on thw wcml?

• RMweb Gold

Afraid the TGS Coaches were only ever used in HST sets. You could get a couple of old Mk1 or 2 coaches and convert them into Barrier Coaches to sandwich the TGS and model it being transferred from depot to works. :)