MrSimon

Hi Simon,

I'm just catching up on Gresby after my hiatus. You've sure been busy!!! The buildings are just amazing!

Your thread remains on my emergency 'scale wobble' list......every time I get drawn to bigger scales I come here and remember why I love n gauge!

Looking forward to being a regular visitor to your thread again .

Regards

Lee :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Aww thanks Lee! 

I'm glad I'm not the only person who gets 'scale wobble' - about once a year I get out the Bristol Board and try to build an O gauge tram... then it goes wrong and I'm straight back to exclusively N again!  Welcome back from hiatus, hope to see Rhyl progressing 

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

If you'll excuse the slightly blurry pictures, I've almost finished building the scrap van:

post-6199-0-42854900-1499800024.jpg

post-6199-0-40412000-1499800032.jpg

It still needs loads of work doing to it, I've not started the tail gate area at all and I'm not sure what I did with the fuel tank but its not far off... nothing a trip through the paint shop wont cure :)

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Millerhillboy!  I would have rather been able to customise and weather an off the shelf flatbed transit but they're just not available - like all the other modern image British vehicles that I would want on Gresby - but its been fun to convert and I know I'll have something reasonably unique :D (and I've got a truck that I want to convert too so this was a good practice)

It won't be filled with cables - I want to keep the trains running - but the scrap men have stopped to pick this up off the roadside:

post-6199-0-07564600-1499799771.jpg

It just needs a bit of a clean up then I'll have to find my chocolate brown humbrol...

post-6199-0-58760200-1499799764.jpg

I finished the remaining bits of chassis and gave it all a base coat of black last night - not for a grimy detailed coat and pick out the other details and I think it'll be good to go

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

ANY OLD IRON?!?

post-6199-0-09105900-1499799871.jpg

post-6199-0-84520300-1499799877.jpg

Almost done!  Impossible to photograph (but I'll have another crack at it if the sun ever comes out again)  There's a few bits of railings to put into the back, and I need to fit a tailgate, but its done :D Although, I may still fit a cab interior :(

post-6199-0-65380400-1499799863.jpg

I'm not sure where the hire van's going to go, but its been a fun little conversion - now its time to get that office block finished

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hello!

would the cooker really be stood up?

From having seen a couple of scrapie transits around the place, they just seem to chuck it in and hope for the best :)

I'm not sure about the cooker yet - its not stuck down and theres more bits to add in the van - in my mind the metal thieves will be stripping out the disused warehouse/factory so it might be pushed at the back to make more room (if I can work out how to make radiators) but I'm not sure yet :-)

That scrap van is superb! A nice little original touch :)

Looking forward to seeing that office :D

Lee

Cheers Lee - you and me both!  I was sizing up filing cabinets to go in front of the upstairs windows after failing at horizontal blinds... must keep going!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Not lots and lots done this week - but plenty of work, and bits that have needed redoing etc.

Firstly, I decided to extend the visible floor-space of the top storey, just so it looked better through the windows - while the structural bit was setting I glazed the top floor (which took two goes after I was too generous with the liquid glazing the first time round)

post-6199-0-22953200-1499799177_thumb.jpg
I need to work out how to correct the bend in the window frame - unfortunately the glazing is much stronger than the plasticard :(
post-6199-0-44819500-1499799168_thumb.jpg

I also made and painted and fitted internal walls:

post-6199-0-94648800-1499799158_thumb.jpg
I managed to get quite a lot of Krystal Clear on the glazing which took quite a lot cleaning up

post-6199-0-39633800-1499799149_thumb.jpg
Now to fill the space!

Next time I make this style of building I'm going to look at getting the frames etched.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 9

Looking good as always Mr Simon - sorry to hear you have frustrations with glazing ...

I'm not sure what 'Liquid Glazing' you are using - but may I suggest a good glue I've used on windows and other things with success which is RCA Modellers glue.

It dries clear, is flexible for some-time after application - and the bond grows stronger over time. Similarly, it is nice and runny out of the bottle, but if you want to leave it a few minutes it goes like cheese on a pizza and you can use a cocktail stick to pull a strand of it along the edge of a fine surface.

On the down-side - The only thing with your current build is the architecture reminds me of my old secondary school - I keep expecting to hear a bell ring and the need to run to my next lesson!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Graham & Lee! I keep finding other things to do rather than actually finishing it off :( but its getting there :D

Simon, your latest pictures seem to have disappeared! :O

Yeah there was a problem with photobucket, they're now uploaded directly on RM so should be showing. 

Looking good as always Mr Simon - sorry to hear you have frustrations with glazing ...

I'm not sure what 'Liquid Glazing' you are using - but may I suggest a good glue I've used on windows and other things with success which is RCA Modellers glue.

It dries clear, is flexible for some-time after application - and the bond grows stronger over time. Similarly, it is nice and runny out of the bottle, but if you want to leave it a few minutes it goes like cheese on a pizza and you can use a cocktail stick to pull a strand of it along the edge of a fine surface.

On the down-side - The only thing with your current build is the architecture reminds me of my old secondary school - I keep expecting to hear a bell ring and the need to run to my next lesson!

I've been using Micro Kristal Klear - but only to stick on the polystyrene glazing from an old Dapol box - its dried clear but there's still some marks from when I fitted it.  I wanted to avoid superglue misting and I worried that the evostick would melt the windows - I must investigate more types of glue - I'll look out for the RCA glue, it sounds just the ticket :D

It looks like my old school too - except mine was made with concrete pebble-dashed panels instead of brickwork

The top floor's crying out for some bored office workers sitting in front of a flip chart (or powerpoint presentation, according to taste). There's a challenge.

I've got some filing cabinets half built, and planned out the desks - it might be not be full of people though, just empty desks

Thanks again everyone - Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

Ooo Gresby's 700th post! :D

Maybe have all the office workers stood out in the street after a fire drill? It would solve the issue of populating the inside of the building. :D

Hehe I could do Daniel - I need a think about what to do up there; luckily I've got plenty of things to do on the outside before I have to fix the roof on!

I forgot to say, the other reason I use RCA glue is because if you get it on glazing, you can roll it off with the end of your finger, an eraser or similar for half-an-hour or so after you applied it.

That's a handy feature - I find when I roll off evostick it pulls the whole 'bit' of glue out including the bit thats in the join - the kristal klear rubs off with a sawn-off cocktail stick but I've not been too vigorous with it on the delicate window wall.  What materials are the RCA glue best on?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

I've been busy making office furniture:

post-6199-0-21276900-1499464259_thumb.jpg

Including of course, a photocopier:

post-6199-0-84990400-1499464268_thumb.jpg

I'm only going to detail the desks right in front of the windows, the others won't be as much.  Maybe these are something else I should have etched... or shapeway'd... if the next layout has a visible office interior at track level, they'll have moved out!

Today I took a trip over to Tonbridge - my first ever Model Show in the South.  It was a good show, great to see Smithdown Road, Banbury and Batty Moor, as well as some excellent OO(ish) layouts - and great to meet Gordon D and Shanks522! 

Also, I found that southern rummage boxes contain northern goodies:

post-6199-0-02969000-1499464277_thumb.jpg

post-6199-0-87105900-1499464283_thumb.jpg

These'll definitely come in handy :D

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon,

Good to meet you too!  I did indeed get hold of a set of 158 bodies - they had 2 sets but I decided to restrain myself; I've already got two 3 car units and a 2 car in TPE livery :D

Cheers

Simon