ย 

Intermountain cylindrical grain hopper kits

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have experience of the Intermountain cylindrical hopper kits? Are they as well detailed as the ready to run items from the same manufacturer? Do they come with decent wheel sets, couplers, etched roof walkways, etc, etc? The kits are considerably cheaper than rtr but I wondered if it was at the expense of detail?

Thanks

Tony

• RMweb Gold

They do come with all the same plastic details and etched walkways but I have a feeling that they have / had inferior wheels and couplings, certainly the kit that I bought some years back. However thta might have improved since then.

ย 

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have experience of the Intermountain cylindrical hopper kits? Are they as well detailed as the ready to run items from the same manufacturer? Do they come with decent wheel sets, couplers, etched roof walkways, etc, etc? The kits are considerably cheaper than rtr but I wondered if it was at the expense of detail?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

ย 

As Ian has said - certainly the older cars have cheaper wheelsets and couplings - not sure about the newer items though.

ย 

Why not visit the website and ask the question direct?

ย 

http://www.intermountain-railway.com/

ย 

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

A friend built a few of the cylindrical kits when they were first released and said they were one of the most challenging kits he's ever attempted...

ย 

Yes theres a lot of detail bits in them, both the N scale and HO ones but they do maske up very nicely if you have the time.

They can be a bit of a challenge to build, I remember doing about 10 of the trough hatch version about 15 years ago, was a bit of a nightmare but I got there in the end. If you have the time patience and experience it is a rewarding route to go, if like me you now can't be bothered with the agro I'd buy the RTR version and get fewer cars and spend your time weathering them as some of the paint schemes are a bit garish straight out of the box :-).

ย 

Cheers

ย 

Chris

I agree not an easy kit to make up plus the kits I've made have not come with etched walkways but I was able to get an after market etched walkway that did the job. Unless you were after a kit with an odd livery, I'd go for RTR

ย 

The N scale ones I've built did have etched walkways. The only reason I got the kits was to get the early Alberta livery.

ย 

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your replys chaps. There is a batch of them for sale on ebay, but no indication of their age. I think I will stick to rtr based on all of the above! With age comes lack of dexterity, eyesight, and patience for building awkward kits!

Cheers

Tony

Tony, could you post a link to them plz. May be interested in having a look. I've done a few. Plastic walkway, poor wheels but otherwise a good and challenging kit.

Archived