control panel construction

jonhants

hi all im looking to build or find some one to build me a controll panel to operate my points as at the momoent i just have a row of 15 switches and would like a nice control panel to complement my layout so would be greatfull for some tips on building one or pointing in the right directon of someone that can build me one

with thanks jon

ah, something i will be doing myself soon aswell! There are many different ways of going about it, i have mysef spent a good few weeks workingut what i am going to do myself. I think it helps (Well it did for me) if you create w full wiring diagram of your layout and how you want to organize things, bacause after all, it will be you who will be using it.

Danny

If you want it done professionally - Heathcote Electronics used to build them (but they are not cheap)

As far as DIY - I have found the best option to be an aluminium sheet fronted case from Maplins - always get one size bigger than you need.

Keep the power supply in a separate box on the floor and just run low voltage cables up to the control panel.

Plan and write down the wiring connections. Colour code things if possible.

Use a painted/tape schematic on the front panel with plenty of room to fit the switches and indicators.

hi all im looking to build or find some one to build me a controll panel to operate my points as at the momoent i just have a row of 15 switches and would like a nice control panel to complement my layout so would be greatfull for some tips on building one or pointing in the right directon of someone that can build me one

with thanks jon

Hi Jon, I build panels, I can send some picture examples if you would care to PM me?

Roger Murray

I've just built mine out of 6mm Ply. My switches just about fit if I countersink them, and I've got some LED holders coming. I drew up my track plan, and where everything should go in Xara, which I then printed on my laser, and glued down on to the top with PVA. Drilled all the holes out and then I'll fit everything in. Drilling through paper isn't the best of ideas I've had, hence getting the LED holders, as they'll give a clean edge. Before it's all installed I'll probably put something on to seal the top so it doesn't spoil. Looks alright so far though!

As ever, I'm pretty much just winging it.

• RMweb Gold

I've just built mine out of 6mm Ply. My switches just about fit if I countersink them, and I've got some LED holders coming. I drew up my track plan, and where everything should go in Xara, which I then printed on my laser, and glued down on to the top with PVA. Drilled all the holes out and then I'll fit everything in. Drilling through paper isn't the best of ideas I've had, hence getting the LED holders, as they'll give a clean edge. Before it's all installed I'll probably put something on to seal the top so it doesn't spoil. Looks alright so far though!As ever, I'm pretty much just winging it.

We did something similar, except we put thin perspex on top and held it in place with screws, so we ended up with a paper track plan sandwiched between the perspex and plywood. We drilled through all of it to fit switches, leds and brass screws for the flying lead point control.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I used a sheet of perspex for mine. I masked the track plan and then sprayed the rear the background colour. Removed the masking and painted the lines then re sprayed the rear again to seal. The holes were then drill for the various switches and controllers.

y35l9k.jpg

Cheers

Paul

I used a sheet of transparent Perspex, put a mirror, stylised image of my layout diagram on one surface using a dispenser of Nobo board tape, obtainable at Staples or other office supplier (expensive but built for the job), sprayed the result with white paint and then drilled holes (very, very slowly) for the switches using the fact that I had on-on switches to indicate direction of the controlled point.

Then I screwed the result to the under side of the baseboard edge and since I didn't cut the Perspex, I have a shelf as well.

With hindsight it might have been better to pre wire and use multiway plugs but no matter.

It does look well. I will see if I still have a photo to post. Works well too!!

an aluminium sheet fronted case from Maplins - always get one size bigger than you need.

tape schematic on the front panel with plenty of room to fit the switches and indicators.

This is what I've done. When finished, I'll have 4 control panels (fiddle, mainlines, freight, TMD) and my fiddle is complete. I used automotive coach strip for the schematic on the ally fascia.

I might make something posherer in the future but it does the job just fine for now.

I am in the process of making a plywood frame & have a sheet of acryllic for the front panel.

Build the panel bigger than you think you'll need it & use as much space as possible for the track plan. You'll be less likely to need to squeeze anything in, be more likely to trace any faults which may occur & most importantly, a big panel is a lot easier to work with when operating.

I use coloured tape (the type intended to decorate a car) for the track plan itself.

If anyone is inspired to do one of these, you could follow prototype colours for the track sections. In BR signal boxes the UP lines are alternating blue and yellow, while the DOWN are green and brown. Non-track-circuited lines are black. The background of mechanical box diagrams is white whereas power boxes are grey with a green tinge. Set routes appear as a row of white lights which turn red when the track circuits are occupied by a train (or vehicle).

Perspex has been mentioned a couple of times - it may be the way I work, but it normally splits etc about 5 secs before the end of making a panel or whatever... :(

I use polycarbonate sheet, which if not in your local B&Q etc, will be available from a glazier. You can drill, saw and generally abuse it without it splitting - it's the stuff they use to glaze telephone boxes, bus shelters..... admittedly it won't resist flame throwers though (from my experience in Property Maintenance Sector).

Penlan

Soldering irons?

No, I had a contract in the Wythall area of Birmingham to replace a school's windows with Polycarbonate sheets, because the local children kept climbing over the high fence (10 feet, I think - it was to keep them out, not the scholars in :unsure: ) and throwing bricks through the glass, they then found flame throwers melted the Polycarbonate - don't ask, I don't know how they came in poccesion of flame throwers, but I do remember it was about 11pm on a Saturday when I got called out to deal with it the first time.... Struth, that was nearly 20 years ago.

Penlan

i went to my fathers the other month ( rommel of this parish ) and he was in the process of building his control panel for his shed layout, he used a clear?  perspex base, onto a varnished wood back panel, and for the line marking of the track plan he used halfords car lining tape, its available in many colours and is a perfect thickness and easy to use and each roll is fairly cheap and from what i could gather you get a fair bit per roll.

regards

neil

Archived