Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was nearly sidetracked into making some GWR full brakes, the only RTR is the Hawksworth so some Collett ones would be a nice addition.

Batch building is generally easier than one-offs. If you find that you've accidentally made more than you need...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Batch building is generally easier than one-offs. If you find that you've accidentally made more than you need...

You don't say, I am sure I need all those DMUs I have just butchered.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You don't say, I am sure I need all those DMUs I have just butchered.

Do you need all the 120s?

Just askin' for a friend.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Do you need all the 120s?

Just askin' for a friend.

I need a 120 and I count myself as a friend of yours.

So kind of you to ask on my behalf.

:-)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

I need a 120 and I count myself as a friend of yours.

So kind of you to ask on my behalf.

:-)

Paul.

You're welcome.

PS are you up late or up early?????

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have taken a break from DMU modelling for a moment, I was nearly sidetracked into making some GWR full brakes, the only RTR is the Hawksworth so some Collett ones would be a nice addition. I have been experimenting with making a signal route indicator without using complicated electronics. I haven't taken any photos as it is a lot of wires, a seven segment LED, a N gauge signal head, a slide switch, a rotary switch and loads of diodes on a prototyping PCB. I have another three to wire up and two signals to make to mount them on. For the siding between platforms 3 and 4 I have used C for Centre siding, the diesel stabling point having been the ex L&YR/LMS Locomotive yard a L and will use an E for the LNER/ER Engine facilities.

I did have some challenges, like wiring up a tiny (the smallest I could find) seven segment LED display, a couple of short circuits and a few other bits of bad workmanship which caused the numbers and letter not to display correctly and both LEDs on the N gauge signal pack in (I think due to my clumsiness). I am quite pleased with myself in designing a circuit and it working first time, not perfectly due to my bad soldering, but the concept did. It would be great if the points were interlocked with the route indicators so once the route was set and the signal turned to green the correct platform or siding would be displayed. I will accept my limitations and be happy that I set the route with my electric pencil and stud arrangement, then turn the rotary switch to the route number or letter followed by flicking the signal switch to green.

Hi Clive

If you are in no hurry I can probably arrange something for this (electronics is my other hobby).

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi Clive

If you are in no hurry I can probably arrange something for this (electronics is my other hobby).

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the offer Paul.

At the moment I am more than happy with my electro-mechanical offering. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/08/2024 at 00:00, St Enodoc said:

PS are you up late or up early?????

In theory, only slightly late by the local time.  But one ocean closer to you than normal so actually the end of a 21 hr day.

Paul.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

You Tube has suggested some of my older favorites so here a couple.

At the end of this video, there is a big horseshoe shaped red brick building, it is the Leningrad Artillery Museum, somewhere I would like to visit one day. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2024 at 23:00, Clive Mortimore said:

I will accept my limitations and be happy that I set the route with my electric pencil and stud arrangement, then turn the rotary switch to the route number or letter followed by flicking the signal switch to green.

Perfectly correct order. As there is a possibility for corruption, especially of E into L, in real life the route indications should be proved lit before the signal clears

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2024 at 10:01, Clive Mortimore said:

456233235_8480880231945731_7609093991005685955_n.jpg.c4b6357ad8c56396b50a064f291c6945.jpg

An excellent joke but the nit pickers will have a field day with finding all the faults with it. Love the time traveller to the right of the funnel in his 1950s blazer and V neck jumper.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Perfectly correct order. As there is a possibility for corruption, especially of E into L, in real life the route indications should be proved lit before the signal clears

Hi Eric

E is only displayed on the shut signal on the GNR up line (exit line), purple number 1. Like wise L is only displayed on the L&YR down line (exit line), purple 2. Locos can only enter the respective yards form those lines and signals.

image.png.9f8970cf0922a90baecd1ce9c7023f38.png

The numbers are not lever numbers but for my counting purposes only.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Following in on from earlier today I have redrawn the signal plan with the levers (hopefully) numbered as a workable box.

signalsrevised5.png.669a0b28a9517c122cc0dbfb72af44f0.png

I had the release lever for the crossover between Platforms 7 and 8 as number 40, placing both release levers and the wide to gauge trap point together. I then discovered I had two of number 37. It was easier to renumber a few levers and make the cross over the last number.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The new diesel cars should show the trains of yesterday a clean pair of wheels.

So much cleaner than steam trains (except the inside of the train is filled with pipe smoke).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

...and heater fumes.

But, surely, they would have been maintained correctly so that there were no fumes inside the vehicle . . .

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

...and heater fumes.

Says the traction engineer.

6 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

But, surely, they would have been maintained correctly so that there were no fumes inside the vehicle . . .

Paul.

Questions the S&T engineer.

Oh er.....I wonder who could be right?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oh er.....I wonder who could be right

Bog unit heaters had a heat exchanger so that combustion gases were kept apart from the heated air entering the passenger saloons - in theory.

It's all described in DTME assuming you have a copy?

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Premium

I spent time today to wire up the route indicators, their switches and the connecting blocks. I wired up four of these.

R616522-01.webp.b30e07f32762e4bd48e5ad453262c3b6.webp.d2e1bac630f9ae7e81859a456659eef0.webp

They are 10mm high (over connections) and 7mm wide.I thought they would be too big, I have just checked the size of the route indicators used on the LMS Manchester Victoria and Exchange re-signalling in the late 1920s (which is the basis for the LMS modern image on the layout) and they scale out as 11mm by 11mm. They will look lager than ones in use today but be hopefully OK  for the time period I am trying to represent. I know they didn't use seven segment displays back then but to make a 4mm scale multi light display is a bit beyond my skills.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1