Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

As the master of cut and shut.
What can be done with the old Triang short Pullman coaches?

I know they are good for collectors or people with limited space.

Could they be refashioned into something not available ready to run for a fun project?

If you have , can you post a link, as 484 pages is a lot to hunt through! Cheers!

IMG_8446.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, muddy water said:

Could they be refashioned into something not available ready to run for a fun project?

If you have , can you post a link, as 484 pages is a lot to hunt through! Cheers!

IMG_8446.jpeg

Well going off a couple of the coaches names, I think you could smoke em.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, muddy water said:

IMG_8446.jpeg

Like early Lima HO continental-ish coaches, probably good for some freelance modelling.  Create your own railway company and rolling stock.....

• Like 4

On 18/06/2024 at 21:42, Northmoor said:

Like early Lima HO continental-ish coaches, probably good for some freelance modelling.  Create your own railway company and rolling stock.....

Although short the detail and profile is based on  Southern Electric cars.  People have made passable "Brighton Belles" out of them and and at one time Chris Leigh made suitable castings for the drivers' cabs.

Chris KT

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2024 at 12:49, muddy water said:

IMG_8446.jpeg

Hi Muds

I don't know, I haven't looked at them as a possible base for any conversions. Now stop putting ideas in me head.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Very well stated Clive.

A good (and positive) view of the hobby.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done Clive.  People who conduct their hobbies to seek approval of others instead of their own are doomed to a life of disappointment.

Having said that, as a youngster I dreamed of winning the Railway Modeller Cup.  I think it was not building a layout that held me back from that more than anything.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

It's an interesting thought, Ipswich for me is probably the layout that almost everything I've ever done has been the precursor to. Dagworth is based on the operation at Ipswich with the loco changes but not the yards, Ravensclyffe has the yards but not the station (although that is also a huge nod to my other love of the WCML and all those fast electric hauled trains)

It's also a recreation of the years I spent working there as a secondman, every rail enthusiast's dream of being in the cabs of big Diesels, even getting to drive them. 

It really does tick all the boxes of everything I want in a layout, just as Clive says.

Sheffield Exchange is a great layout too, I've enjoyed immensely the times I've got to play with it, so glad it is your Best Model Railway In The World as Ipswich is mine (And Dagworth, Ravensclyffe, Bow Locks, Cat's Paw, Foxglove...)

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was running some trains earlier today and the grey cells started acting together and I came to the conclusion I have the best model railway in the world.

Not the most perfect but it meets all my needs, therefore the best in the world.

There will be prettier ones, better running ones, ones with finished rolling stock and a host of other stuff you can think of, but none will be a good as mine in my eyes as they will not do what my layout does for me.

There are lots of stuff still to do, there is still lots of modelling fun to be had but that will only enhance on what I have achieved.

This not a big headed statement but one of reality. When you next play with your train set, I hope you are as lucky as I am and can come to the same conclusion that your model railway is the best in the world as it meets your wants and desires.

Happy birthday old mate!

Funnily enough, every time I go into my railway room I feel the same warm glow.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Well done Clive.  People who conduct their hobbies to seek approval of others instead of their own are doomed to a life of disappointment.

Having said that, as a youngster I dreamed of winning the Railway Modeller Cup.  I think it was not building a layout that held me back from that more than anything.

In my case, not being able to rite proper didn't help either.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was running some trains earlier today and the grey cells started acting together and I came to the conclusion I have the best model railway in the world.

Not the most perfect but it meets all my needs, therefore the best in the world.

There will be prettier ones, better running ones, ones with finished rolling stock and a host of other stuff you can think of, but none will be a good as mine in my eyes as they will not do what my layout does for me.

There are lots of stuff still to do, there is still lots of modelling fun to be had but that will only enhance on what I have achieved.

This not a big headed statement but one of reality. When you next play with your train set, I hope you are as lucky as I am and can come to the same conclusion that your model railway is the best in the world as it meets your wants and desires.

I have to whole-heartedly agree with this!

My St Mungo's layout track is in EM.  Now, when people hear this they expect something to a high standard.  Fair enough, but it's my layout, I know what I can achieve and it's not perfection!  But, here's the thing, I enjoy it, and that's what counts!  i can easily overlook little faults and imperfections, well, some big imperfections in parts, but I don't get hung up about them and enjoy the hobby.

One day I might even get it near finished!

Roja

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

On Wright Writes there has been a chat about obscure kit makers, does anyone else remember Constructeon Models? I am only aware of their class 14 kit, which I believe was one if not the first etched brass kit designed using CAD.

I got mine out of its box, still not quite ready for paint shops, maybe one day. I gave it a spin and it ran very nicely, even better with a drop of 710.

002.jpg.49799d5dc335672e4ea5a0bd60aa6b73.jpg

I am trying to sort out my DMU projects. When getting out the Lima 117 boxes I found a Lima 101 center car I had forgot I had purchased, that is the second time in a few weeks that has happened. The other one was donated to me by Steve (31A), and I had forgot he had done so.

I cannot recall if we have had a Kiwi on here in the past?

Enjoy, I did.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Can someone explain the top one please?

450939988_1011653700629630_2041506716490534726_n.jpg.8d459af449c2555b8b99234f356fb815.jpg

Nor from me.  I understand the last three, but the first one? No idea.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Missing letter
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2024 at 16:31, Clive Mortimore said:

Someone else has posted this as a topic.....Jesus H Christ some people can't see it is just a bit of F U N.

You have to remember Clive that people in the entertainment industry cannot understand anyone who doesn't work in the entertainment industry, or why they don't aspire to work in the entertainment industry.  Being one of the Cool People is not the most important thing, it is the only important thing.

I still love QI though (and Aisling Bea).

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1