The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Hi guys,

I just sent out a newsletter and I forgot to encourage everyone to vote for the APT-E for Model of the Year.

I have no shame and I don't mind begging. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE vote for the APT-E as Model of the Year. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/poll/index.php?sid=16428&lang=en

Thanks,

Jason

The deed is done Jason. Thank you for all the good work and a happy new year.

Cheers, Andrew.

Hi guys,

I just sent out a newsletter and I forgot to encourage everyone to vote for the APT-E for Model of the Year.

I have no shame and I don't mind begging. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE vote for the APT-E as Model of the Year. 

Thanks,

Jason

There is very little competition out there.

The ModelRail one has a Hornby 71 and Dapol 73 while the RM web one, it is again the Hornby 71 along with a Wickham trolley.

For APT-E to loose here, it will mean a bigger shock than Brexit or Trump!

If it had come out the same year as Bachmann,s Blue Pullman, then I,d be worried.

• RMweb Gold

There is very little competition out there.

The ModelRail one has a Hornby 71 and Dapol 73 while the RM web one, it is again the Hornby 71 along with a Wickham trolley.

For APT-E to loose here, it will mean a bigger shock than Brexit or Trump!

If it had come out the same year as Bachmann,s Blue Pullman, then I,d be worried.

The one thing that may count against the APT-E is it's availablity. I have never seen one in the flesh having not purchase one. People may vote for other entries having seen / handled or purchased one.

That said, it got my vote.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I finally got to see my APT-E running today after I was able to unpack it and give it a test run on a friend's son's layout. Only an end-to-end, but it showed it's working fine and smoothly :) The only troubles were in connecting up the carriages and disconnecting them, which feels like a bit of a faff as others here have alluded to. However I don't think I broke anything on disconnection despite it not being easy to do.

I also got to test my DP1 with sound (all fine) and my Peckett and O2 (again, both fine). I've been breathing sighs of relief since ;)

Hi guys,

Thanks,

Jason

Hi all

I just sent our newsletter out yesterday and forgot to add the link too!  Must be a failing of newsletter writers Jason!

This has to be model of the year it is absolutely AWESOME! Make me happy - Stuart and I had to wrap and ship nearly 2000 of them!

Cheers

Sandra

• Like 1

It's mildly amusing that the APT-E is up against the Wickham Trolley. It's hard to think of a greater contrast. That said, I think the APT-E should easily win its category. The trolley is a lovely little model, and the Hornby class 71 looks nice, too. But they're not in the same league as the APT-E, either in real life or model form.

• Like 1

In the event of a tie can we have a race? Wickham trolley at high speed anyone!

Stick a tow rope on the back of E-Train, Close race but wickham trolley will come behind her,

Must win this, model of the decade, surely, Only thing to top her will be Rapido's P-Train?? (fingers crossed), Even HSDT can't touch her,

Could still be arranged at Shildon Kit.

Very true, they'd look as if they were different scales.  :D

I thought one of my POP-Train pics showed the Wickham in the background but I searched all through them and can't find it. 

Bound to happen now I have finished building one for 'Sandhole' of this site. What do you all see in this engine???????????

It's weird, and therefore interesting.   :D

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For anyone contemplating buying one of the "TrainSafe" display tubes for their pride and joy ...

I've bought one of their rigid display panels to go on the wall, this one is perspex with supports for three tubes. It is much easier to use than the pair of suspended hooks I had before, which was always a bit nerve-wracking when I put the tube back onto it. The APT-E looks happier with some other trains nearby too.

I've gone for the non-powered supports, because I'm still "analogue DC" and I think a working display would be a bit of a gimmick, but the option is there to power her up and listen if you shell out the extra for the "powered" support.

- Richard.

• Like 1

Trainsafe rules, supports 3 means more tubes to order, one bug you can't shake, Honestly the best thing ever, I will bang on and support Trainsafe Vision's and Travel's all day long, Expensive but the best, I really should get commission on these because I can't stop recommending them,

• RMweb Premium

Trainsafe rules, supports 3 means more tubes to order, one bug you can't shake, Honestly the best thing ever, I will bang on and support Trainsafe Vision's and Travel's all day long, Expensive but the best, I really should get commission on these because I can't stop recommending them,

I bought two more 1.2m Vision tubes at the same time but it seemed off-topic to bang on too much - only one APT after all. I realised at least three of my British H0 consists will fit: S160 + 4 Bullied coaches, Class 66 + 4 ferry vans, or 5 Mk1/Mk2 coaches. All about 1.19 m long, incredible. So I have tubes for two of these as well.

I have enough wall space to have another three tubes but probably the 0.9 m ones next time, for the branch line size trains. The tubes are great for trains you don't run very often, they prevent damage from handling, they are a solution for articulated models, and you can turn a whole train round in one go. The Vision seems to resist derailing very well too.

Edit: the APT-E was quite a small train, and it looks happy enough a few inches below a 1:87 train. Best to keep the 1:76 at the bottom though.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

Really happy you love the Trainsafe Vision's Richard, expensive but worth every penny, To say E-Train is small, Nooo, A 4ft monster yes, and looks ever more imposing than my Big Boy 4000 collection, which is giving me some what of a dilemma, If Service Use was on display then that would be something, but unfortunately not, Don't have a wall big enough for a Vision tube for her, and she's a heavy little burrgger,

• Like 1