Evocotive railway remains, what derelect or abandoned structure stirs your emotions?

• RMweb Gold

The old Seaspeed (BR Hovercraft) terminal at Dover, and the whole former Western Docks / Town and Ferry Yard area, hard to imagine the rail activity that went on there until the mid 90's.

Regards

Simon

what a great suggestion

Ah, the (nearly) abandoned trainshed on the western side of Waterloo - the long distant memories. from when I was but a wee lad, of those old, curious Eurostars puffing and grinding their way in and out of the smoke-free atmosphere that ........(continues ad infinitum)....

Mole A. (93 3/4)

• Like 2

March; whether the station (now 2 platforms from 6(?) 7(?) in its heyday) or Whitemoor Yard, both before and after it was resurrected in its current form.

The GN & GE Joint line from March up to  that was closed and hastily dismantled in the early 1980s. They're missing it now - the missing link for running between London and Doncaster without using the ECML - and possibly the last cross-country route to be successfully closed at the time - the next target was the Settle & Carlisle.

Similarly the branch from March to Wisbech that was truncated, previously running to Kings Lynn(?) and being part of the East Anglian network.

Also the line from Cambridge to St Ives - that previously reached Huntingdon and the ECML. When I moved to the area in the mid-1990s I saw a double track trackbed, albeit with a single track still in place, that ran from Cambridge out through the commuter villages (and towns) to the North West. Practically the only thing needed at the time was to dig out the filled in bay platforms at the north end of Cambridge station - everything else was there - and I did wonder how viable it would be as a preserved/heritage railway; combination of commuter traffic and 'specials'. Now of course that (in)famous guided busway.

The line that ran from March to Wisbech ran across the Norfolk fens to a Junction with the King's Lynn - Ely line at Magdelen Road.

But I agree about the loss of the GN&GE joint, along with the loss of the Lincoln avoiding Line.

As for the Cambridge - St.Ives line, give it ten more years until the concrete starts to break up beyond repair, and then you can start campaigning for a railway line.

P.S. I find it funny that the busses they use on the busway are depoted at Fenstanton, with access off and on to the A14!  :scratchhead:

Although our favourites tend to be regional, there are some great photos and comments here.  From the recent discussion on the old Tavistock line, Dawlish and the Cattewater branch, you can tell  my interest lies in Devon and Cornwall but sadly no pictures to back it up!

Perhaps this discussion could be further enhanced by making it railway or regionally oriented?

Brian.

Broomielaw station on the Darlington - Barnard Castle line is a very evocative place. When it and the line closed in 1964 it was just allowed to rot away even though the stationmaster's house is still inhabited. This is it in 1999 when there was still a poster inside the shelter from the last day 35 years earlier.

21760415.9e9696b2.1024.jpg

The hulk of the signalbox showing a half hearted attempt to board it up.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi, well for me the thing that stirs my emotions is the remains of the former Beverley - Market Weighton - Pocklington - York line. It was closed by Dr. Beeching on 29th November, 1965. The last train ran in the snow from York to Hull on Saturday, 27th departing York at 9.45.pm. I, along with my parents, was on that train. The moon made the snow glisten as the 6 car DMU raced through the night, as if it wanted to get the last rites over with. There were two old ladies sat in the seat opposite to my seat, and they mentioned about Dr. Beeching wanting to have closed the line down in 1963. So many memories of that last night.

There are some good remains,including, Stamford Bridge station, goods warehouse and viaduct - see image. Also, Pocklington station and goods warehouse survive( the warehouse has recently been renovated). See image, if a little small, of part of the warehouse.

Come to think of it there is a great deal which could be said about the railways of East Yorkshire - I might have a go with a thread devoted to them?

All the best,

Market65.post-22631-0-45321400-1402609469.jpgpost-22631-0-74992800-1402609492.jpg

• Like 9

The offices at work were part of Lancaster's first railway station, the then terminus of the Preston and Lancaster Railway. The public car park at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary was part of the yard with the remains of the former station building on the end of it. It even has a blue plaque on the less used side to recognise this.

Now I just need a job in the offices then I could sit and day dream........

Ian

• Like 3

The hulk of the signalbox showing a half hearted attempt to board it up. 

In the not to distance past, whilst helping a forum member out with a bit of research into Broomielaw a visit was arranged to a kindly souls home that knew a thing or two about the station. After looking over many plans, diagrams and consuming many cream buns and cups of tea our visit was drawing to a close and aforementioned kindly soul said to RMwebber that he thought he had something he could have... that was stashed away up in the attic.

Off he went and after a few minutes (and much clattering) he returned from the attic and presented Rmwebber with the original name board from the signal box.

Not a bad outcome for a days research.

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

Hi, well for me the thing that stirs my emotions is the remains of the former Beverley - Market Weighton - Pocklington - York line. It was closed by Dr. Beeching on 29th November, 1965. The last train ran in the snow from York to Hull on Saturday, 27th departing York at 9.45.pm. I, along with my parents, was on that train. The moon made the snow glisten as the 6 car DMU raced through the night, as if it wanted to get the last rites over with. There were two old ladies sat in the seat opposite to my seat, and they mentioned about Dr. Beeching wanting to have closed the line down in 1963. So many memories of that last night.

There are some good remains,including, Stamford Bridge station, goods warehouse and viaduct - see image. Also, Pocklington station and goods warehouse survive( the warehouse has recently been renovated). See image, if a little small, of part of the warehouse.

Come to think of it there is a great deal which could be said about the railways of East Yorkshire - I might have a go with a thread devoted to them?

All the best,

Market65

It was an insane closure and insane for them not to reopen it. Here's the portico of Market Weighton station seen by me in 1978. Number One was "Rivers Of Babylon" by Boney M  :sungum:

17232333.07138280.1024.jpg
Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 8

post-9506-0-35105000-1402610617_thumb.jpg

This was taken last Sunday in the former Rickmansworth Church Street branch near Rickmansworth a nice old bridge that has not seen a train for @37 years It is hard to believe that trains used this bridge, however if look closely at the photo you can see holes for the rail chairs in the wood which were the sleepers for the track,

XF

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

It was an insane closure and insane for them not to reopen it. Here's the portico of Market Weighton station seen by me in 1978. Number One was "Rivers Of Babylon" by Boney M  :sungum:

17232333.07138280.1024.jpg

Hi, that is a great photo, thank you for posting it. It reminds me of that day in early September, 1963, when I went on a 2-car Cravens DMU from Beverley to Market Weighton to have a short visit with my Grand -parents. My Grand-mother lifted me off the front car of the unit - the platform was low at Market Weighton -  and she let me watch the unit depart on its way to York. We then walked out of the station through that door-way. Happy days.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The offices at work were part of Lancaster's first railway station, the then terminus of the Preston and Lancaster Railway. The public car park at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary was part of the yard with the remains of the former station building on the end of it. It even has a blue plaque on the less used side to recognise this.

Now I just need a job in the offices then I could sit and day dream........

Ian

It was also a nurses home at one time, be careful what you daydream about.

South Pelaw Junction on the Tyne Dock to Consett line for me. Here it is in 1966:

92060-Sth-Pelaw-Feb-66-2.jpg

and here it is now:

IMG_1990.jpg

Still lots of bits and pieces in the undergrowth to be seen if you have a good look.

John

• Like 12

Still lots of bits and pieces in the undergrowth to be seen if you have a good look.

John

Bit like this...

posted elsewhere. One of the two stop blocks from the Snow Plough Sidings. Taken on the afternoon as the Hownes Gill pic above.

post-508-0-91741000-1402932297.jpg

P

• Like 7

Both there on 25/01/2007. Woodlouse and local louse had both done their worst and there had been some recent attempts at burning them but they were proving quite resilient. I suppose a lot can happen in seven years.

Somewhere I have transparencies of stone sleepers that the LNER had quite cleverly recycled into a style. They survived the railway by some sixty years but then somebody must have thought they would look better in their back garden.

post-508-0-29989100-1402939558.jpg

P

• Like 6

How about this?

post-1762-0-61940400-1402947328_thumb.jpg

The head of the rail is completely worn away, it had started to wear the flange into the web as well.  Evocative of the many thousands of wagon movements across that rail, and the hard working lives of hundreds of men...

Presumably from the transhipment sidings at Froghall Wharf, close to the Churnet Valley Railway, where the original tramway from Cauldon Lowe Quarries met the canal, later the std gauge.  The rail now has another life as a support for the fence along the top of the limekilns at Froghall Wharf.

• Like 1

In the not to distance past, whilst helping a forum member out with a bit of research into Broomielaw a visit was arranged to a kindly souls home that knew a thing or two about the station. After looking over many plans, diagrams and consuming many cream buns and cups of tea our visit was drawing to a close and aforementioned kindly soul said to RMwebber that he thought he had something he could have... that was stashed away up in the attic.

Off he went and after a few minutes (and much clattering) he returned from the attic and presented Rmwebber with the original name board from the signal box.

Not a bad outcome for a days research.

Porcy

.... and speaking as said RMWebber the board hangs over the stair reminding me that I must get a move on with the project. Personally speaking I find the view from the signal box

Broomielaw Signalbox

quite inspiring. As the weather changes its easy to imagine a grim winter's day at dusk, fire in the grate, oil lamp on and the signalman making his way back up from issuing the staff. Slightly more esoterically from Broomielaw.... did you know this was there

post-7231-0-53726300-1402948959.jpg

Edited by twa_dogs
  • Like 5