Evocotive railway remains, what derelect or abandoned structure stirs your emotions?

The viaduct spanning Sugar Brook, Baddesley Ensor, never fails to get me reminiscing of heavy trains rumbling high overhead on the slender structure. I may have missed the days that the colliery was still active, but the final spoil trains here certainly left their mark.

IMG_3480.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

All the remains of the North British in Northumberland.

Example:

post-5613-0-17975200-1402436705_thumb.jpg

Rothley Bridge

post-5613-0-01287800-1402436710_thumb.jpg

View south from Rothley Bridge

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15

The surviving bits of embankment around Swansea Victoria, just tantalising remains that give little clue as to where the railway went.

Little clues remain down along Mumbles road and then it veers up through the woods to Dunvant and beyond as a fine cycle path: under bridges, past pillboxes, derelict brick works and old coal levels, odd platform faces peeping out from behind ferns and knotweed and traces of ballast still everywhere. And to think that Jubilees once used that line, too......

Tony

• RMweb Premium

The remains of the direct line to Harwich that was diverted to serve Parkstone Quay are still visible, that line was diverted IIRC in the 1890's. Also traces of the direct Eastern Union Railway between Great Chesterford and Newmarket can still be seen, that line was closed as long ago as 1855!

The ex-GWR Bala - Festiniog route between Trawsfynydd and the point at which it starts the drop down to Bala.  The engineering as it clings to the hill side always amazes me when I go past.  Sadly it closed far to early for me to have had the opportunity to travel along it.

Had a couple of good walks up there, well worth the effort!

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness

• RMweb Gold

The ex-GWR Bala - Festiniog route between Transfyrwyd and the point at which it starts the drop down to Bala.  The engineering as it clings to the hill side always amazes me when I go past.  Sadly it closed far to early for me to have had the opportunity to travel along it.

Adrian

Walk from the Maentwrog-Ffestiniog road up the gorge with some spectacular waterfalls and you end up underneath the abandoned viaduct very evocative.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Just thought of another one, which for me virtually trumps all my other ones - the hugely overgrown track of the Tintern branch, last used in 1981 but the track still in situ, mature saplings growing through the sleepers, then all growth suddenly disappearing as the track plunges into the gloom of Tidenham Tunnel... the atmosphere will have been slightly changed now, since the entrance to the tunnel has apparently been fenced off, to protect bats...

I assume you are referring to the wye valley line and not the wireworks branch to Tintern. The wye valley line could have made a spectacular preserved line but probably a bit expensive to maintain.

Don

• RMweb Gold

The surviving platform at Merstone Junction on the Isle of Wight does it for me. I would have loved to have been a signalman there back in the day.

Another one on the island is at the new Smallbrook Junction...if you peer over the fence between the two platforms you can see the the concrete base of the original Smallbrook signalbox which must have been a mad place to work on a 1950s summer Saturday. Probably was the busiest token exchange point on BR!

JF

You can still see where the line to ventnor wet went although not used as a cycleway unlike the main line. The path north of Merstone wanders off from the trackbed for a while but the section from Merstone through to Sandown makes a good walk. The bridge over the yar near Alvestone is quite evocative.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Tinsley for me and Healey Mills, vague memories of spotting with me dad early 90s, Tinsley has just about vanished whilst Healey Mills is locked up and going back to nature.

A few of me dads pics from late 70s early 80s, bit before my time, just shows whats gone especially Tinsley.

Tinsley:

]post-5804-0-15752600-1402442256_thumb.jpgpost-5804-0-03438700-1402442319_thumb.jpgpost-5804-0-70485200-1402442321_thumb.jpgpost-5804-0-75310200-1402442324_thumb.jpg

Google maps from the bridge as it is today, spin around to see just whats gone from the above last 3 pics:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.397545,-1.377936,3a,48.2y,129.57h,88.29t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sWBiMXShdgLkV2eU74u-G_A!2e0

Healey Mills:

post-5804-0-56481800-1402442288.jpgpost-5804-0-99154600-1402442350_thumb.jpgpost-5804-0-67706400-1402442476_thumb.jpgpost-5804-0-95672400-1402442478_thumb.jpg

Google maps, i think this is out of date now as last time i passed i dont think there was anything in the yard

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.66139,-1.575001,3a,49.5y,299.56h,89.44t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1siq5EAB4EhK9UUkl45FZ3Qg!2e0

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The remains - bridges, trackbed, station buildings on the Princes Risborough to Watlington branch.

The track path and station buildings of the Basingstoke to Alton Light Railway, still visible from the road.

• RMweb Premium

Yard halt,Devon, still standing today, minus track.

Indeed it is.  Variously spelled with or without a final "e" it is still a quiet location with just a row of mid-Century houses and no other form of public transport anywhere nearby.  On the positive side one enterprising local has set up a part-time cafe for users of the Tarka Trail which now occupies the trackbed and is popular to about this spot with cyclists out of Torrington.  Not so many proceed farther but Meeth can be reached and with some gaps in the path itself it's possible to cycle most of the way to Halwill away from main roads.

Yard(e) Halt in 2012:

DSCN4878.jpg

• Like 9

In the days when this nation had a strong industrial economy, this railway served the many industries of the Heartland of this nation, it was a busy route, took coal from local mines, steel from local mills. Closed completely a few years ago, each year the remains get fewer, and fewer - the railway I'm talking about is the South Staffordshire Railway. Memories of watching what seemed to me then a continuous procession of freight trains, hauled by 4F's, Duck 8's, 8F's, rumble through Rushall when I was a kid in the 1950's never fade.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

The old ecml past my Granddad's old house, just before it crossed the Naburn swing bridge. Granddad was the foreman ganger on this stretch, and I remember the house shaking as heavy freight trains passed. 

Ed

• RMweb Gold

For me it's the Saundersfoot Railway, lots of relics left if you know where to look, the trackbed is walkable virtually throughout it's length. Amazing to think of heavy industry in such a rural backwater, moreso now that it is a holiday resort.

Also a useful railway to use Peco OO/HO track on!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

The line from Hart up through Castle Eden and onwards is a good one to have a look at ... I still remember Q6s and J27s pounding up hill with empties and the same locos keeping the fulls in check coming down the bank...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I assume you are referring to the wye valley line and not the wireworks branch to Tintern. The wye valley line could have made a spectacular preserved line but probably a bit expensive to maintain.

Don

Yes indeed, and I believe there was an abortive preservation attempt a few years ago, making the most of the existing track, but even their website appeared moribund and weed-grown when I looked at it at the time...

For those of you who who went to the London Olympics, think of all the locos that would have been serviced in Stratford Works that used to stand on the ground where Mo Farrah won Gold etc.

For me, two remaining bits of GER architecture send shivers down my spine - Haverhill viaduct on the road heading East from the town centre, just as you get to the B1057 to Steeple Bumpsted (doesn't Essex have some wonderful village names!). From the town centre the road and surrounding countryside is flat as anything, and suddenly there's this massive viaduct, and I always wonder where the heck it came from! It also dis-proves the theory that East Anglia is flat (as does Chappel viaduct, but that's still in use so doesn't qualify for this thread).

The other bit of GER railway architecture that I love is County School station in Norfolk. One day, however, that should return to use and I can't wait to see the J15, N7 or B12 running in (or possibly the Holden F5 that's on the way), and I wonder what the chances are the NRM cold be persuaded to restore the E4 to running order. Oh God, is that the alarm clock going off? Time to stop dreaming, I suppose.

Phil

• Like 2

(Steps on soapbox.)

Folkestone Harbour and Folkestone Harbour Branch. Served Great Britain through two world wars, withstood the might of the Third Reich, now derelict and to be destroyed by a millionaire and his loyal Conservative council, with the utterly feckless opposition (sic) cheering them on. No more ferries. No more trains to the harbour. No voice for the many who want the harbour saved. Lots more seaside apartments for the grasping rich. 

(Steps off soapbox.)

Sad and it was quite odd to be on a train that pulled out of Folkestone station then backed down a line that felt like it should have had a Fell rail at least. Still the boat trains HAVE been replaced by another railway from Folkestone (though even before the Chunnel not very many passengers were still crossing by the train-ferry-train method) and it is rather wonderful to get on a train in London and step off it at the Gare du Nord a couple of hours or so later.

All those ferry ports and their railways on both sides of the channel had their own particular atmosphere. Though it was less than attractive I remember Calais before ferry port meant hideous car and lorry park. There always seemed to be several trains waiting for the ferry and in some of them almost every carriage seemed to be going to a different destination. I was also always struck by the contrast between grotty Newhaven - my least favourite ferry port- and Dieppe, my absolute favourite, where the ferry used to berth alongside a row of cafés and restaurants right  in the town. If you weren't going on the train to Paris you could watch its departure complete with man with red flag walking in front . It wasa bit like Weymouth, except that at Dieppe the main line locos came onto the quay, and if you were quick you could watch the fun with a plate of mussels and a carafe of wine already in front of you. Sadly, since the ferry port moved to somewhere more suitable for laying a large area of flat concrete,  they've "improved" the Quai Henri IV by removing all trace of the Gare Maritime. The restaurants are still good but it's just not the same.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

The remains - bridges, trackbed, station buildings on the Princes Risborough to Watlington branch.

Basically anything from Chinnor to Watlington. Not much to see at Lewknor, as that's under the M40 now. However, Watlington Station (and its corrugated iron carriage shed) still exists, hidden behind very heavy undergrowth, and is part of the land owned by Pyrton Farm, I think. They don't encourage visitors. 

• Like 1

For those of you who who went to the London Olympics, think of all the locos that would have been serviced in Stratford Works that used to stand on the ground where Mo Farrah won Gold etc.Phil

Well talking of the GER here in ilford we still have the bridges over the old track bed of the old line from Newbury park to Ilford where perhaps old trains of long ago can still be heard,they even turn up in Ilford depot!

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I belatedly made a small start at researching my family history and discovered that after my great great grandfather, a ganger on the L&SWR,

was killed by a train his widow was given the crossing keepers job at Gosford Gates on the Sidmouth Branch.

Last year I made a trip to Feniton (formerly Sidmouth Junction) and then walked the route of the branch most of the way to Ottery St Mary.

Passing on the way the former crossing keepers cottage where my great great grandmother lived from 1877 - 1901 

post-7081-0-78272800-1402516954.jpg

Gosford Gates Crossing with still existing concrete posts from Exmouth Junction Concrete Works, 13/8/2013

edit  and looking back towards Sidmouth Junction across the fields

post-7081-0-60726000-1402517805.jpg

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The old Seaspeed (BR Hovercraft) terminal at Dover, and the whole former Western Docks / Town and Ferry Yard area, hard to imagine the rail activity that went on there until the mid 90's.

Regards

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Same here but further north than the pictures, Fontburn and Ewesley area as I pass on my way to the reservior.

I was at Fontburn this afternoon!

David

• Like 1