Railroad Parks - Rochelle Illinois

• RMweb Gold

There are numerous specially built railfan or railroad Parks appearing across the USA.

Perhaps the most famous one is at Rochelle about 100 miles West of downtown Chicago and an easy hour and a half drive from Chicago O Hare airport.

Rochelle Railroad Park

http://goo.gl/maps/PYX1f

This is also the location of the Trains Magazine live web can

http://trn.trains.com/Interactive/Web%20Cams/Rochelle.aspx

you do need to register and sign in but it is free.

At Rochelle you will find a double track diamond crossing with Best and Union Pacific crossing each other on the flat. There can be over 100 trains a day passing the Park.

There is a covered shelter for railfans with power points around the perimeter along with ample seating.

Also there are restrooms and drink vending machines plus a railfan shop selling various souvenirs but opening times are restricted, I think to weekends.

We paid a visit last week and in the 4 you rs we were there we saw 14 trains.

photos to follow but if you have photos by all means post them here.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Here are the first few photos taken last week.

We had to wait about 40 minutes and other rail fans commented that it had been very quiet. However a couple of UP workers showed up and removed some red square signs then replaced them with green ones on posts either side of the diamonds.

Things then got busy.

First train was a East bound BNSF train.

post-1557-0-78628600-1401905673_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-13779500-1401905696_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to identifying these "modern" locos - what I do like to do when looking at pics of them is to recall that a UK Class 66 is only as tall as the short hood on them.

Also, in the UK we had to have new small-wheel, low deck flats so that 9'6" tall containers will stay within the Loading Gauge..... looking at US double-stackers always makes me think our container trains look rather under-nourished.... ;)

Thanks for posting!!

The US Loading gauge for lines that allow double - stack containers is 20’2” IIRC - as we know many lines do not allow that. Bit more than 3 foot but as I say in the New York/New Jersey/PA Port areas, for example, as few as 4 mainlines allow them. Probably for the same reason the UK cannot, early builds.

I still have big trouble id’ing modern locos and I live here! The best way is to Google the loco numbers....

Never mind the height, consider the width...............

Class 70 approaching Enola Yard, Marysville, PA

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=480110&nseq=0&favsearch=1

Best, Pete.

BNSF6977 is an ES44/Gevo of some description (you can tell an ES44 from the hump in the radiator - i'd have to google to narrow it down further though!)

BNSF673 is an ex Santa Fe C44-9W (Santa Fe only had -8 and -9, and it's not a -8 due to the roller blade trucks) - cool catch.

UP4340 is an SD70M I think (EMDs version of the roller blade says it's not an SD60M)
The UP loco behind is a C40-8W (or a 41, they had both, and I don't think there are any external spotting features) - the -8s had older style GE trucks compared to later GEs

(I think that counts as an old-school high horsepower lashup on UP these days!)

In general terms (for modern 6-axle stuff)

If it has visible fan housings it is an EMD, if it doesn't, it is a GE.

If is an EMD:

- and has flared radiators and a non-flared section behind them it is one of SD90 (all variants), SD80MAC, SD70ACe, SD70M-2. If it is very long it is one of the first two.

- and has flared radiators reaching to the back of the long hood it is likely an SD70M

- and has vertical radiators and a wide cab/short hood it is likely an SD70M (early), or SD60M

- and has vertical radiators and an old-style cab, it is likely an SD70 (if NS), an SD60, or an SD50 (or conversion thereof)

- if it has visible dynamic brake blisters mid-way down the long hood, it is an SD45-2 or an SD40 variant

If it is a GE:

- and has fat (deep) radiator wings, it is likely a GEVO of some form

- and has thinner radiator wings, it is likely a Dash-9 or an AC4400 (or variant). The ACs have a longer high walkway aft of the cab on the left side. It could also be a Dash 8, although they have slightly thinner wings still and are slightly shorter.

- and has an old-style cab, it is a Dash 8.

Note that there are exceptions to all of this, and more subtleties of variants. An internet connection or a spotting book are the best bets for true identification.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

find that the SG70M;s are fairly easy to spot. Recently I bought an Athearn N scale UP  large flag SD70M, only to fin out that they had put a flared radiator number on a non flared model which is odd because Athearn do both types.

Luckily Railpics website had a photo of a suitable loco and that number just happened to be on a Microscale set of decals so was easily rectified.

find that the SG70M;s are fairly easy to spot. Recently I bought an Athearn N scale UP  large flag SD70M, only to fin out that they had put a flared radiator number on a non flared model which is odd because Athearn do both types.

Luckily Railpics website had a photo of a suitable loco and that number just happened to be on a Microscale set of decals so was easily rectified.

There are actually multiple variants of SD70Ms - pinched nose with straight radiators (done by Athearn), pinched nose with flared radiators (done by Athearn) and straight nose with flared radiators (done by Kato). UP has all three variants, NS has the first and the third.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Adrian

Yes forgot about the pinched / straight nose type.  It took me a little while to find the correct one to renumber to due to all those variants!

The third train that we saw at Rochelle was a really nice find having both the CNW liveried locos that UP specially kept.

Both looking a little worn these days.

post-1557-0-62585900-1401970473_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-49961100-1401970540_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-97700200-1401970565_thumb.jpg

I think they look fab, long may their "unofficial heritage loco" status continue - we probably should model these for RS Tower one day, especially given their longevity!

(PS - You're doing okay so far, only one of six loco's is a boring everyday GEVO, and half are fallen flags!)

The US Loading gauge for lines that allow double - stack containers is 20’2” IIRC - as we know many lines do not allow that. Bit more than 3 foot but as I say in the New York/New Jersey/PA Port areas, for example, as few as 4 mainlines allow them. Probably for the same reason the UK cannot, early builds.

I still have big trouble id’ing modern locos and I live here! The best way is to Google the loco numbers....

Never mind the height, consider the width...............

Class 70 approaching Enola Yard, Marysville, PA

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=480110&nseq=0&favsearch=1

Best, Pete.

Saw this loco a little while ago pulling intermodals around Eastleigh area! (UK)

• RMweb Premium

Rochelle is definitely a good place to go for quantity of trains - occasionally throws up some interesting moves too! I've put some of my photos from 2004/2008/2010 and 2012 online at     www.flickr.com/photos/27874750@N04/sets/72157605729780238/     and some others at:   www.flickr.com/photos/27874750@N04/ 

Chris

Archived