Β 

A question of boxcars

i cannot buy here cos my model shop i eastleigh cannot easily buy them in from the US as her keeps getting stung with import taxes! Damn conservatives!! :nono:

Lloyd

Import VAT hits us all mate whether buying privately or via a retailer. You want to try it with O Scale stuff... :O ;)

The only issue with Coalporters is that they tend to run in block trains in coal service. It is unlikely that a small cut would be shunted. Note that they are unloaded by rotary dumper - one coupler from each car (on the end with the colour patch) can rotate.

Β 

Adrian

Railroads don't patch their own equipment unless the equipment is damaged and repaired or the weight or inspection data is changed.Β  Railroad equipment gets patched when its sold or owned by a different road.Β  If the UP sells 50 boxcars to a shortline, the shortline will patch out the UP's numbers, road name and herald and stencil their own reporting marks.Β  If the UP and SP merge they will patch some of the SP equipment with UP reporting marks in place of the SP marks.

If your modeling era is, say the late 70's to early 80's such as I model - keep in mind that BNSF didn't exist until 1996; CSX 1986; and NS 1982. Also in that time frame you'd have plenty of the colorful short line IPD (Incentive Per Diem) box cars running around. Probably the most colorul era in modern US railroading. Most of those cars would be very clean looking too and you didn't see much, if any, of the current spray paint grafiti on cars either. Working on the railroad during that era, the only grafiti I saw was done with chalk...

LNRR,

I was modelling the 1970s but after a loco i had went wrong and and the only replacement they had for a gp60m in bnsf.....needless to say i jumped at it! I could still operate it as the 1970s but the scenery i'm planning wouldn't suit.

Thanks dave,

I will be patching l'd BN, SP and ATSF cars

Β 

The chances are that assuming the BN and ATSF cars are still working for the BNSF, and that the SP cars are still working for the UP, then none of them will be patched.

A railroad will most likely repaint one of its own cars, not patch. In the vast majority of cases the only thing a railroad will patch on its own cars is to cover damage/repairs, when the car is reweighed or to replace marks covered by graffiti.Β  Railroads will patch locomotives.

The chances are that assuming the BN and ATSF cars are still working for the BNSF, and that the SP cars are still working for the UP, then none of them will be patched.

Thanks for that info NSE it saves me a bit of work! I will add graffiti to the cars intad

Archived