Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

When I enlarge the original scan I would say D7571, as the last digit does appear to be straight, not shaped as the first and third digit.

When I look at the image as it appears on RMWeb I think I would say it is either 1 or 7 at the end of the number.

Obviously the software used to display the image, and the file size can make things look different - the file size on RMWeb is a lot smaller than my original file.

Also as far as I know D7571 was allocated to Leeds Holbeck wheras D7577 was allocated to the Manchester area.

So I think D7571 is the more likely number.

It is often very hard to read numbers off images - I've been trying for many years when I have forgotten to make a note when I take the photo.  Some modern stock with tiny numbers is a nightmare to identify!

David

Hence my suggestion. Also more likely to have got 2 digits reversed in the notebook.

Mike.

To think I had a ticket for a 'last run' over the Woodhead, and didn't go...  When the Woodhead was open, Sheffield used to feel exotic and wonderful, a gateway to a strange electric railway, a super hump yard, steel mills and what-not.

Now it's just bloody Sheffield,home of horrible Merde Ians and various buses on wheels...

At least you saw some trains when you visited the Woodhead line. I booked a few nights at Crowden Youth Hostel, for a cycling and photographic trip, only to find that there were no trains due to a strike. The only Class 76 I ever saw moving was a light engine at Tinsley, just before I went home.

Hi Dave, sorry to be picky but in C3274 it won't be 76054 as the loco in the picture is multi-fitted, you can tell by the upturned handrail around the cab front. Perhaps it's 76034 which was an air brake only loco?

76054 was a vac only loco so kept the straight handrail.

J6873 there's only one loco? 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Have always had an interest in the Woodhead line, and how good it is to see these photo's. I've had a look, in the enlarged view, at J6873 and it does appear that there is only one 76, unless there is a banker - the overhead gantries are getting in the way of the rear of the train.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, sorry to be picky but in C3274 it won't be 76054 as the loco in the picture is multi-fitted, you can tell by the upturned handrail around the cab front. Perhaps it's 76034 which was an air brake only loco?

76054 was a vac only loco so kept the straight handrail.

J6873 there's only one loco? 

Hi, Dave. Have always had an interest in the Woodhead line, and how good it is to see these photo's. I've had a look, in the enlarged view, at J6873 and it does appear that there is only one 76, unless there is a banker - the overhead gantries are getting in the way of the rear of the train.

All the best,

Market65.

Many thanks to you both for pointing these out.

It's probably 76034, I'll alter the caption.

As for the 2x76- it's a copy and paste error as I was captioning a batch ready to use at some future date..

David

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

I'm thinking C3484 above might be a Sulzer Type 2 rather than a 31. Can't enlarge it enough to be absolutely certain.

Rgds,

I'm not quite sure either, I changed my mind from a 25 to a 31 when I captioned it.  The original slide and scan aren't clear either.  If only I'd got there a minute earlier - and I wonder how many times I've said that over the years!

David

• RMweb Gold

More smashing pictures Dave

Having enlarged its a 25 on the weedkillers - early body shell with numerous small grilles, but they are eccentric rather than symmetrical as per 31

Andy beat me to it!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's, and just too add, quickly, that in the final photo', in addition to the 'different' grills from a class 31, there is no tumblehome in the way that you have on a class 31, so yes, it's a class 25. Like the early years shots of the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway in addition to those of Rotherham. I love the backlit ones as well, they work so well.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Were the coaches standard b/g - the grey looks a little 'creamy' on the PIC?

I think they were in a green and cream color for the company that operated the train.

More smashing pictures Dave

Having enlarged its a 25 on the weedkillers - early body shell with numerous small grilles, but they are eccentric rather than symmetrical as per 31

Andy beat me to it!

Cheers

Phil

Many thanks, I'll go back to my original thought!

David

• RMweb Premium

I like that shot of the weedkiller train, the coaches look like Stanier BG's.

Who noticed the tail lamp hanging on the rear drawhook? You don't see that often...

Mind you I know of occasions when the tail lamp was a rolled up newspaper.....

Andy g

I like that shot of the weedkiller train, the coaches look like Stanier BG's.

Who noticed the tail lamp hanging on the rear drawhook? You don't see that often...

Mind you I know of occasions when the tail lamp was a rolled up newspaper.....

Andy g

Had it been lit?

Stewart

• Like 1

The first set of photos today were taken at what is now "The Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway", I think that when I took the photos it was the Yorkshire Dales Railway.

At the time of the photos in 1972 and 1975 I'm not sure if they were running trains, but it was always pleasant to have a walk round and see what was going on.

attachicon.gifEmbsay Aug 72 C1061.jpg

Embsay Aug 72 C1061

Taken looking east towards Bolton Abbey with a very typical Midland Railway track plan.

attachicon.gifEmbsay Avonside Fred Aug 72 C1063.jpg

Embsay Avonside Fred Aug 72 C1063

attachicon.gifEmbsay Sentinel Ann ex British Tar Company and another loco Aug 72 C1064.jpg

Embsay Sentinel Ann ex British Tar Company and another loco Aug 72 C1064

attachicon.gifEmbsay Peckett Banshee Metre gauge Aug 72 C1065.jpg

Embsay Peckett Banshee Metre gauge Aug 72 C1065

attachicon.gifEmbsay Peckett and others April 75 C1932.jpg

Embsay Peckett and others April 75 C1932

attachicon.gifEmbsay Peckettt Banshee metre gauge April 75 C1933.jpg

Embsay Peckettt Banshee metre gauge April 75 C1933

David

Wonder if the 2 Ex Bradford trolleybuses by the goods shed in C1061 survived. In 1972, they would have only just been withdrawn from service. I think Bradford had the last trolley bus network in the UK.

JF