Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

J4499 is almost certainly 47 523 - which had a high-intensity headlight fitted below one of tail lights.

If you look on the Class 47 Wikipedia page there is a picture of 523 in 1988, by which time the headlight had been blanked off and a standard light fitted. By coincidence, the next photograph down is of 47 901, with the same style of headlight still in place. ICBW but I think that there were only about three so fitted and 523 was the only ECML locomotive.

What a fabulous set of pictures of what seems likes yesterday on the ECML -- renumbered 47s on air-conditioned Mk2s -- but is actually 40 years ago :O   In J4281 (also in C2198 in the opposite direction), the footbridge severely hinders the visibility of the bracket signal!  What was it like at night??  

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Re-the fourth picture in today's selection; I always  wondered how one converts a "Jinty" to P4.......... :scratchhead:

Hi Peter

I think you are wrong, I am sure that was the one that was converted to clockwork and EM gauge :no:

I have found the spare Jinty body, now where did I put all those C&L sleepers I won't be needing because Peco are producing bullhead track. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Re-the fourth picture in today's selection; I always  wondered how one converts a "Jinty" to P4.......... :scratchhead:

Easier to do the model for sure! Suspect that was the occasion I was volunteering at Bridgnorth. Ray Tranter and I were taking the horn guides off the frames - you can see best on the rear one, three fitted bolts per guide. We had got most of them off, two left to do when Ray suggested we took a break. Ray wandered off so I looked round....the trickiest bit was to get the nuts moving off the bolts, with two of us one clouted the bolt while t'other wielded the spanner. WIth just me to move things along I sourced a length of boiler tube which was a tight fit on the spanner. Off came the nuts and the horn guides.

Back came Ray - lets finish the job says he. Let him walk out to the loco before I showed him the two remaining guides leaning against the machine shop wall....

One of lifes gentlemen Ray, sadly missed. Reward for the weeks hard labour was a trip to Hampton Loade and back on 46443 - we had done all the split pins and cotters on her tender brake rigging too

Thank you Dave for the opportunity to reminisce and say - I was there!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a great set of Seven Valley photos. I like seeing the Ivatt 2mt's, and I had forgotten that 46521 had been fitted with a second whistle and a bell.

As always it is good too see more of the ECML at Abbots Ripton, and the expresses hauled by 47's. Good to see the semaphores still in use there.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1A06 was the 08:05 York-KX. It appears to have have 2 RKB cars.

1L06 was the 09:10 KX-Leeds

1A10 was the 09:00 Hull-KX. A Mk2d/f FO next to the RB is substituting for a presumably non-available RUO.

1L09 was the 10:20 KX-Leeds

A possible explanation for there being 2xRKB in one train is that one was due for shopping. It was common practice in the 1970s I believe for a second car to be marshalled into a train so the crew could move stock and utensils from one to the other between journeys.

Thanks for the Aylesbury pics ,brought back lots of memories of how our town used to be.,the goods shed was a Brunel design like the one in High Wycombe.The Risboro Model Rly club had a look at taking it over to convert to a club room but BR did not want to know as they wanted to sell the land.I remember the brakevan propelled through the stop block by Oxford Rd it certainly was a mess it embeded itself into the embankment and stayed there for several weeks don't know why it happened.The station picture shows how changes happen ,the brick building was the railwaymens club and had a model rly group present for a while the large building in the distance is an office block that has now gone.The bay platform was used by Marylebone trains in steam days as the main platforms were reserved for GC trains.In the 1960,s I  worked for GPO telephones mainly digging holes and our yard was beside the northbound just were you can see the Nissan hut.The station has not really changed much from that picture except a new booking office and the footbridge is being renovated it really is a historic monument and new stabling sidings towards London .The class 117 was a good dmu and when new were great but at the end they were rough and not looked after the new trains were a vast improvement,thanks for the photos.Nearly forgot  an ex driver mate of mine at Aylesbury holds the world speed record for going over Marsh level crossing at 11mph during an open weekend driving a class 20! 

Quite correct Dave. It looks like a class 104 TSL. Possibly one out of a 4 car set depending on where the unit is based.

Paul J.

The TSL will be in the set as BG did have 3 class 104 TSLs as spare vehicles, and most of the 3 car set on this route were BG based. From memory 59201,59204 and 59231 were the vehicles concerned.

Class 47s at Abbotts Ripton on the ECML for the second set today.

I don't think you will be able to work out the loco numbers

attachicon.gifm Abbots Ripton Class 47 up ex pass May 75 J4281.jpg

Abbots Ripton Class 47 up ex pass   May 75 J4281

attachicon.gifm Abbots Ripton Class 47 Leeds to Kings X June 75 J4469.jpg

Abbots Ripton Class 47 08.05 York to Kings X   June 75 J4469

attachicon.gifm Abbots Ripton Class 47 Kings X to Leeds July 75 C2198.jpg

Abbots Ripton Class 47 10.20 Kings X to Leeds July 75 C2198

Thanks again to Mark 54 for the train details.

David

Oh I do like a good challenge Can't identify the numbers, but I can cut down the field somewhat.

J4281 and J4469 are both ETH fitted and still have working Stones boilers, so that narrows the field down to 47517 - 47528 and 47552, although the last one wasn't fitted with ETH until 1975, but I don't know which month. 

C2198 is one of the Westinghouse 47's, 47401-47420, but that is the best I can offer. Frustrating sometimes. 

Keep the ECML stuff coming David. Reminds me so much of my first 5 years on the railway out of Kings Cross. thank you.

Paul J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

I have found the spare Jinty body, now where did I put all those C&L sleepers I won't be needing because Peco are producing bullhead track. :scratchhead:

Easier to do the model for sure! Suspect that was the occasion I was volunteering at Bridgnorth. Ray Tranter and I were taking the horn guides off the frames - you can see best on the rear one, three fitted bolts per guide. We had got most of them off, two left to do when Ray suggested we took a break. Ray wandered off so I looked round....the trickiest bit was to get the nuts moving off the bolts, with two of us one clouted the bolt while t'other wielded the spanner. WIth just me to move things along I sourced a length of boiler tube which was a tight fit on the spanner. Off came the nuts and the horn guides.

Back came Ray - lets finish the job says he. Let him walk out to the loco before I showed him the two remaining guides leaning against the machine shop wall....

One of lifes gentlemen Ray, sadly missed. Reward for the weeks hard labour was a trip to Hampton Loade and back on 46443 - we had done all the split pins and cotters on her tender brake rigging too

Thank you Dave for the opportunity to reminisce and say - I was there!

Phil

Looks like I will have make a model of Lord Bullock of Abbotswood working...........as well. :O

• RMweb Premium

Toton in the early 80s pre miner's strikes. Drive down the approach road and park in the 'staff' car park. Don a suitably dirty HV vest (I was wearing other clothes) and proceed around yards and depot. Happy days. Was never shot or eaten by guard dogs.

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

C2198 is one of the Westinghouse 47's, 47401-47420, but that is the best I can offer. Frustrating sometimes. 

Keep the ECML stuff coming David. Reminds me so much of my first 5 years on the railway out of Kings Cross. thank you.

Paul J.

One of 47401-410 I think. 47411-420 have the extra dividers on the cant rail grilles, like this.

9274396009_0b59a1755c_b.jpg47411 Reading by John Wheeler, on Flickr

• Like 7

Love those Toton shots.... in C3611 and C3612 everything to the left of the old 'hump' is obscured by trees and rampant shrubbery, I signed the road there a few months ago and on my first solo trip noticed just how much of the layout has been covered by vegetation. There's now a stop board next to the hump where we have to ring the North Yard Chargeman on our works mobile to get permission to pass it and proceed towords the reception sidings, the loco fuel line or the meadow sidings.

Was the Pedigree pet food factory in Melton Mowbray in those days?

It was always referred to as the Kit-E-Kat factory by my parents when we passed it on the train in the 1950s.

I don't know why, but somehow we were expected to look out of the carriage window to see it on every journey we made.

J4499 is almost certainly 47 523 - which had a high-intensity headlight fitted below one of tail lights.

If you look on the Class 47 Wikipedia page there is a picture of 523 in 1988, by which time the headlight had been blanked off and a standard light fitted. By coincidence, the next photograph down is of 47 901, with the same style of headlight still in place. ICBW but I think that there were only about three so fitted and 523 was the only ECML locomotive.

47434 also had the quartz halogen headlamp fitted and was a Holbeck loco from early 75. And it was still a working lamp when I was an apprentice at York where it was allocated in 77.

Ah hah - re the Aylesbury pictures

Hope Dave F doesn't mind but found the link to the pic of the brake van propelled through the stop block at Hartwell Sidings Aylesbury referred to in post 8515 above.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/beerdave1745/6312661560/sizes/l/in/photostream/

And here is the 08

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/13018/Recent

stabled in the facing stub dock siding beneath the footbridge to Southcourt. picture C3116 was taken facing north from the footbridge.

Your photos are a highlight of the day Dave - brilliant records. Thanks.

Best Regards

Matt W

Edited by D826
  • Like 1