Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

I don't ofetn "like"preserved railway photos, but 185A is something else. Beautiful. Is it still there? If so I must find time to look it out next Saturday when I am at the HMRS.

Jonathan

Is it just me or does the photo almost have a 'Titfield Thunderbolt' look to it too? I do wish that locos such as this and the Kirtley 0-6-0 would be restored to use, as these are certainly locos that I would make the effort to go and get a trip behind, especially if there also restored some authentic coaches to go in. I'm sure that this needs to be the direction that preserved railways need to move to now, Mark 1s are boring......

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Ah Brian W got there before me....great minds etc

Is also a not too common example of a GFYE loco retaining the original 3 piece fixed radiator louvres at the far end of the loco - probably because she is still vac only

Phil

• RMweb Gold

J1628 is actually a parcels working, I believe- I think that, and Freightliner, were what was designated as Class 3 then.

Agreed - but its a right old motley collection of vans though!

Is there a theme with a company poster stuck on them too?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Phil

As Phil and Brian have already stated J1628 is a parcels train. It has some ex Insulfish vans then running as SPVs (?) and to the rear can be seen some bogie coach roofs which I presume are parcels stock.

The Midland Railway Centre at Butterly for this afternoon.

attachicon.gifButterley BR Caprotti Class 5 73129 Aug 75 C2263.jpg

Butterley BR Caprotti Class 5 73129 Aug 75 C2263

attachicon.gifButterley Class 11 12077 Aug 79 C4814.jpg

Butterley Class 11 12077 Aug 79 C4814

attachicon.gifButterley 16440 April 80 C4989.jpg

Butterley 16440 April 80 C4989

attachicon.gifButterley 258A April 80 C4990.jpg

Butterley 158A April 80 C4990

attachicon.gifButterley 13809 April 80 C4991.jpg

Butterley 13809 April 80 C4991

attachicon.gifButterley 6203 Princess Margaret Rose April 80 C4994.jpg

Butterley 6203 Princess Margaret Rose April 80 C4994

David

I wonder what the prognosis is for getting 6203 back on the main line?

Edward

• RMweb Gold

J1743, you have put the old MR line. Are you sure it`s not the old GC? the rusty rails and in the background what looks like the bridge at beighton where the GC crossed over the MR?

It could well be the GC line - as I said in the post all I had to go on was dad's catalogue of his slides.  For various reasons it's not an area I know well even though it's only in the next county to where I once lived.

Thanks for pointing it out.

David

• RMweb Gold

J1628 is actually a parcels working, I believe- I think that, and Freightliner, were what was designated as Class 3 then.

Phil

As Phil and Brian have already stated J1628 is a parcels train. It has some ex Insulfish vans then running as SPVs (?) and to the rear can be seen some bogie coach roofs which I presume are parcels stock.

Thanks for pointing that out. As I mentioned above I used dad's photos today and as usual just copied his notes without lookimng very carefully  - the headcode should have been a giveaway, also the stock.

David

• RMweb Gold

Is also a not too common example of a GFYE loco retaining the original 3 piece fixed radiator louvres at the far end of the loco - probably because she is still vac only

Phil

And looking at D1628's train...what are those brake vans? Did MR vans last that late?

Phil

Phil

1510 was another :)

Worth mentioning that the Brush 4 D1628 (in image J1627) later became 47 046. As such it was the locomotive that was turned on its side at New England North Junction one Sunday morning in 1974, whilst running light engine on the down fast from Peterborough.

The driver and secondman insisted that the signalling indicated that the loco was cleared for a run along the down fast line. However, the route was, in fact, set across to the combined down slow/down Stamford route at New England North and, as a result of the excessive speed on taking the junction, 47 046 turned onto its side and ended up between the up Stamford and down ECML fast line.

On arrival at Crewe Works, 47 046 was earmarked to be the locomotive that was modified to trial the Ruston power unit that was used in the class 56 locomotives and it subsequently emerged as 47 601. Later it was re-engined again and used as a class 58 test bed, in the guise of 47 901, in which form it continued until withdrawal.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And looking at D1628's train...what are those brake vans? Did MR vans last that late?

Phil

It's a foreshortening effect on an LMS/BR unfitted van I think.

Some of the Midland ones lasted quite a while in engineering service, a few were lettered for the Kings Cross electrification scheme.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

I don't ofetn "like"preserved railway photos, but 185A is something else. Beautiful. Is it still there? If so I must find time to look it out next Saturday when I am at the HMRS.

158A is still at Swanwick, so next door to the HMRS building.

Is it just me or does the photo almost have a 'Titfield Thunderbolt' look to it too? I do wish that locos such as this and the Kirtley 0-6-0 would be restored to use, as these are certainly locos that I would make the effort to go and get a trip behind, especially if there also restored some authentic coaches to go in. I'm sure that this needs to be the direction that preserved railways need to move to now, Mark 1s are boring......

Andy G

The MRC has a vintage train composed of an LMS Horse Box (which you can ride in), MR 6-wheel Clayton Brake Third, MR Kirtley 4-wheeler, LD&ECR 6-wheel Third and a MR Motor Car Van. They usually take their 'Royal' saloon along for the ride but not for passenger use. The train doesn't get a lot of use but it does go out on one of the May bank holiday weekends, usually with a visiting loco. As you say, it would be nice if the 2-4-0 was restored to working order. The Spinner was steamed while on loan to the MRC in the 1980s and went to Rainhill in steam but, AFAIK, never worked a passenger train at the MRC.

I wonder what the prognosis is for getting 6203 back on the main line?

Edward

While Duchess of Sutherland and Princess Elizabeth are being kept running, PMR is being kept on 'hold'.

Phil

1510 was another :)

More common than you think Phil. As well as 1628 in the photo and 1510 mentioned by leopoldml2341, I've found photos of 1500, 1516/8/9, 1541/3, 1551, 1565/6/7, 1618/9, 1621/4/5/7, 1630, 1698/9, 1717, 1720, 1732 and 1741. A few of those listed lasted just about until TOPSrenumbering, 1622 becoming 47041 whilst still GFYE and Vac braked.

Paul J.

It's a foreshortening effect on an LMS/BR unfitted van I think.

Some of the Midland ones lasted quite a while in engineering service, a few were lettered for the Kings Cross electrification scheme.

Mike.

Agreed the LMS short brakes based on MR design lasted into the 1980s http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsbrakevan/e3d80761c 

The next van looks like a standard SR build.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Typical LMR parcels train Phil - any resemblance between the booked formation and the actual formation was more an accident than an intended event.  The LMR had a rather strange habit of diagramming far more 8 wheeled vans to its parcels trains that it actually had an allocation of - downright nuisance as the trains always ended up with 4 wheelers instead of bogie vans and hence lost masses of time due to the 4 wheelers being restricted in speed.   Us pour souls on the receiving end off the LMR acquired a habit of sending the things back in booked bogie van balances, served the LM right.