Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I don't know what to say! Those photos are truly outstanding! You really have spoilt us today with some great "End of steam" photo's. The weathering is, as you said, quite overdone on many of the loco's, but then that is how it was at the end of steam on BR. More please!

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Superb shots from Skipton emphasising the totally unkempt nature of steam locos. towards the end. The shot showing condemned wooden wagons is excellent showing how some of the planking was missing, great fodder for modellers. Looks like 47293 had been moved into position for its last trip along with 47599.

Edward

• Like 1

Is hard to believe that a few of those photo`s are actually in colour

and not B/W.

I always seem to remember the Fifites being very monochrome - until I saw the Deltic prototype at Euston  whilst I was enroute to Glasgow.

The Sixties, of course burst into psychedelic color.......

Only half-kidding!

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Outstanding photo's, especially those of Kegworth. What a delightful effect the hoar frost makes on the tracks, carriage roofs, etc. And it is great to see class 45's at work on the Midland line.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Thank you for those evocative shots at Nottingham and Kegworth.

Always one of the first threads I look at each day so Thank you again for providing such brilliant and interesting photographs throughout this year. 

Have a great Christmas and New Year (and please keep the pics coming).

• Like 1

Those frosty photos are wonderful; so much so that I looked back in the weather map archive to try and find a date range in Jan 1971 when they might have been taken.

Do you have a date, or is it just a month?

The 4th looks a possibility, but I couldn't find many more which would produce that much frost.  13th maybe, and a few unlikelies but possible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those frosty photos are wonderful; so much so that I looked back in the weather map archive to try and find a date range in Jan 1971 when they might have been taken.

Do you have a date, or is it just a month?

The 4th looks a possibility, but I couldn't find many more which would produce that much frost.  13th maybe, and a few unlikelies but possible.

Although these are Dad's photos I was also there and took very similar photos.  I was at University then so must have been at home for the Christmas holidays.

The only photos he took that January before these were with a sprinkling of snow on the ground at Peascliffe Tunnel and a thicker layer of snow at Sutton on Sea (which by then was closed) in sunshine, probably taken on New Years Day.

That makes me think that it must have been very early in January.

David

• Like 2

Thanks David.

That would fit nicely as the end of December was quite snowy with a NE'ly wind and snow showers affecting the eastern coastal counties.

The 4th was a Monday. I'm not sure if that makes Sunday 3rd more likely, but not sure how many freight/parcels trains there would have been on a Sunday.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David.

That would fit nicely as the end of December was quite snowy with a NE'ly wind and snow showers affecting the eastern coastal counties.

The 4th was a Monday. I'm not sure if that makes Sunday 3rd more likely, but not sure how many freight/parcels trains there would have been on a Sunday.

It would probably have been a Monday, especially as we saw a Class 45 on the GCR at Rushcliffe Halt on the same day.  Dad would have been on holiday that week.

David

Wonderful evocative photos Dave of my local. How things have changed. Locos gone, track layout at Nottingham remodelled and its very rare to get haw frosts these days. So far I've had to scrape the car once this winter its been that mild! Mind you, its was nice to get 1Q05 (37116) in the sun at Ancaster this morning!

Back on topic: Keep up the good work. Its a highlight of my day at the moment!

• RMweb Gold

Very evocative shots of the peaks David.

The 1970s winters always felt colder, and jigs the memories of snorkel parkas, stamping on the ground to keep the blood flowing and as many gloves as you could put on whilst spotting.

Neil

Until a few recent Christmases, the 1970 event had been the last white Christmas for decades.

Although for many areas the majority of the snow fell on Boxing Day, there were some snow showers in many areas on Christmas Eve which meant a good deal of the country woke up to snow lying on the ground during Christmas morning.

I remember it well (alright - vaguely).

1D07 is the 10:50SuO St Pancas-Nottingham

1M51 is the 08:01 Manchester Piccadilly-St Pancras

J2940 is almost certainly 3C48 the 10:10 Nottingham Parcels Concentration Depot-St Pancras

1M14 is the 09:00 Sheffield-St Pancras

8D60 is probably a Wellingborough to Nottingham area coal empties.

Thank you for posting

• RMweb Gold

David,

The last two are taken at Sutton Bonington, rather than Kegworth.

Nice selection as usual.

Peter

Thanks Peter. 

When I posted them I thought the captions were wrong but then forgot to do anything about it.  Dad had a habit of identifying places by the nearest station or signal box and I sometimes don't check.

David

Although these are Dad's photos I was also there and took very similar photos.  I was at University then so must have been at home for the Christmas holidays.

The only photos he took that January before these were with a sprinkling of snow on the ground at Peascliffe Tunnel and a thicker layer of snow at Sutton on Sea (which by then was closed) in sunshine, probably taken on New Years Day.

That makes me think that it must have been very early in January.

David

I'd dearly love to see the Sutton on Sea pics.