Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

The number is just too small - there isn't a note of it in Dad's catalogue so he probably couldn't read it on the original slide.

David

Looks like a Damiler Fleetline #108. 108 lasted quite late on into the mid 1980s, it was a regular school bus to our school (Redhill Comprehensive, Arnold).

As for the Bartons #914, trawling the internet, I cannot find any record of it. Was it a one-off?

• RMweb Premium

Was the photo of Chelmsford railway station taken from the bus station? The position of the pub opposite suggests it was but it is years since I saw this area and my mother who still uses buses in and out of Chlemsford says there have been major changes.

Hi Mullie

The photo is taken from the town center side. The bus station is the other side of the bridge, and the pub that side is the Plough.

Hi Mullie

The photo is taken from the town center side. The bus station is the other side of the bridge, and the pub that side is the Plough.

Like I said, long time since I've been there and I don't think it looks like that anymore. My parents also used to tell stories about how the Germans tried to bomb that bridge and managed to miss it every time. They lived and worked along with their parents on farms in the outlying villages and used to watch the bombers lining up to bomb various targets in the area.

• RMweb Premium

Like I said, long time since I've been there and I don't think it looks like that anymore. My parents also used to tell stories about how the Germans tried to bomb that bridge and managed to miss it every time. They lived and worked along with their parents on farms in the outlying villages and used to watch the bombers lining up to bomb various targets in the area.

Hi Mullie

The area around Chelmsford station was heavily bombed. Marconi's radio factory and Hoffman's ball bearings plant both being close by were the main targets. Many times the Luftwaffe bombed Chelmsford, not as the primary target but as the secondary one. They would fly towards London following the GE mainline and the A12. If they were unable to bomb the main target they would drop the bombs on Chlemsford  on their way back to base. Also if on the way to the main target the lead aircraft met too much opposition the ones following would release their bombs over Chelmsford and run home.

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive Dave.

Are you making the adjustments yourself or are they auto adjustments within the software that you are using?

All done in Photoshop, usually CS3 as I still have my work copy, unless I use a laptop then it is either CS2 or Elements 10.

The sequence is:

Straighten the image, if needed.  

Crop as needed.

Remove any bad marks with clone or spot healing tools

Auto colour

Then use "colour balance" and "replace colour" to fine tune colour,  sometimes selecting only a part of the image for each change.

hue /saturation to adjust colour intensity.

Then adjust levels (or brightness/contrast).  Again this may involve several selections of parts of the image.  Sometimes I do levels or brightness contrast first, it depends on the image quality.

Finally adjust sharpness.  Usually I used unsharp mask straight after scanning, so only a small amount of Smart Sharpen is needed to display well on RM Web.  Flickr rarely needs extra sharpening.

Then check it looks OK, if I am not satisfied tweak it a bit more or even go back to the original scan and start again.

Note. I never ever work on my original file copy of the scan, I always make a copy first in another folder, also I have a minimum of three copies of each original file on separate hard drives, plus DVD back ups.

Similarly when I put photos on RMWeb or anywhere else I normally keep at least three copies.

If I have a particularly problematic scan I use "Open as Raw" so I can adjust colour temperature and individual colours more easily.

To be honest the first two corrected images have slightly too much green when seen on RMWeb, they display better on flickr.

The sharpness and colour balance can vary depending on the host for the images - flickr displays images a bit sharper and with more contrast then RM Web.

Also the colours you see on your monitor may be nothing like I see.  My monitor is calibrated, but not to a professional standard, I just use a cheap(ish) "Spyder" and re do it every few months.

The best colour rendering I get is by showing my photos on my Sony TV from my newer laptop.

Edit: A very important point.   I always look out of the window every few minutes when I'm working on photos during the day, so I can check what roads, grass, sky etc actually look like, or you can get very odd results if you only look at the screen.  When working in the evenings I keep looking at good colour photos (prints) to maintain some grasp of what the colours ought to be like.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

Looks like a Damiler Fleetline #108. 108 lasted quite late on into the mid 1980s, it was a regular school bus to our school (Redhill Comprehensive, Arnold).

As for the Bartons #914, trawling the internet, I cannot find any record of it. Was it a one-off?

914 was a Duple Britannia bodied AEC Reliance, new to Parlanes of Aldershot in 1959 I think it was. Barton acquired it secondhand at a fairly young age where it joined a number of identical vehicles bought new by them. It was withdrawn in the early 70s, I'd need to look in the book to see exactly when, but I believe it survives in preservation.

914 was a Duple Britannia bodied AEC Reliance, new to Parlanes of Aldershot in 1959 I think it was. Barton acquired it secondhand at a fairly young age where it joined a number of identical vehicles bought new by them. It was withdrawn in the early 70s, I'd need to look in the book to see exactly when, but I believe it survives in preservation.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I nearly didn't press 'like' because of the last photo but then I realised it is the fact that you, and your dad, photographed everything that came along that makes your work so valuable.

There is no prejudice in your subject matter and the world is a better place for it.

Thanks once again.

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree, presumably it's their shadows being cast along the field in photo 15545.

Yes, the shadows are from Dad and I.    By then he and Mum were retired and had moved to the north east,  I often took him out when I went to photograph trains.

David

As always plenty of remarkable views.

Never having heard of Cuxton , (view north March 79 C4363) I looked on Google Maps as I assumed it was the Medway Motorway bridge. Now it would look quite different, apart from the loss of the layby sidings, HS1 briddge would be in front of the Motorway. Happy memories of racing across there on Eurostar with the traffic appearing to go backwards! I have a rough old video I took of that somewhere.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

The 'marina' at Cuxton has grown a bit since 1979, though that vessel visible between the station shelter and the 2nd from right bridge pillar is still there. To me, it looks as though it could be an ex-Air-Sea-Rescue craft.

The string of 21t hoppers in the siding are presumably empties from Cuxton Cement Works (Rugby Cement), which was off to the left, I believe.

...The string of 21t hoppers in the siding are presumably empties from Cuxton Cement Works (Rugby Cement), which was off to the left, I believe.

Not exactly, Rugby Cement was at Halling, a bit further down the line. No cement works at Cuxton at that point, although there was a Martin Earles works of some kind of white stuff - we always called it a lime works - just the Strood side of the M2 viaduct, almost visible in those photos.

One of mine showing Cuxton from the M2 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/544-southern-region-photos-1980s/?p=634174

Current view of the 3 viaducts here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42623-maidstone-west-to-strood-mid-1970s/?p=495421

Also, those loops often had rakes of wagons in for weeks at a time.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Not exactly, Rugby Cement was at Halling, a bit further down the line. No cement works at Cuxton at that point, although there was a Martin Earles works of some kind of white stuff - we always called it a lime works - just the Strood side of the M2 viaduct, almost visible in those photos.

One of mine showing Cuxton from the M2 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/544-southern-region-photos-1980s/?p=634174

Current view of the 3 viaducts here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42623-maidstone-west-to-strood-mid-1970s/?p=495421

Also, those loops often had rakes of wagons in for weeks at a time.

Was the 'Martin Earles' plant the place that produced 'Snowcem'?

Looking at an early Baker (1980), there's a Metal Box plant at Cuxton, then Rugby Cement at Halling and Blue Circle Holborough near Snodland.

• Like 1

Was the 'Martin Earles' plant the place that produced 'Snowcem'?

Looking at an early Baker (1980), there's a Metal Box plant at Cuxton, then Rugby Cement at Halling and Blue Circle Holborough near Snodland.

The Metal Box plant was actually in Strood, the other side of the M2 from Cuxton, and had closed to rail traffic well before 1980 (think the rails were still embedded in concrete there for a long while). That site later turned into a Tesco warehouse, and now Royal Mail centre. It was more or less the opposite side of the Maidstone rail line - Metal Box on the inland side, Earles on the river side.

Metal Box approx here

Martin Earles approx here (you can see its quarries "Diggerland" and the quarry the other side of the lines)

Not sure if Martin Earles produced Snowcem, but it wasn't rail connected at that period. It was part of Blue Circle though. Some sources say it closed in the 60s, but I've got photos of it definitely in action belching white smoke in the early 80s, so what it reopened for I've no idea.

Edited by eastwestdivide