Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Few weeks later and those lineside verges would be tinder dry.

I was staying at a camp site next to the Settle and Carlisle just outside Appleby in August 76. A Class 40 seemed to have set light to some sleepers and a bit of lineside as it descended with a freight. Me and some hefty blokes set about putting it out......wouldn't happen these days I suppose (peeing on the fire I mean). True story.No pictures sadly as those phone camera things hadn't been thought of then.

Apologies for lowering the tone again Dave.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Norton Bridge and Standon Bridge this evening with various blue electrics in the later 1970s.

I remember taking the June 1976 photos, that was quite early in the long hot summer, the temperatures had already reached the high 80s.

David

Proper trains :)

A

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great WCML photo's. Love them. Also the memories of that long hot sunny summer of 1976! Hardly got any sleep during it, it was so hot and humid at night. I remember lying in bed and just unable to get any sleep. Phil is right about things being tinder dry. They were. Then the Autumn arrived and how it rained and rained!

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Lovely shots of Butterley, presumeably the spinner was steamable still at the time?

There were some interesting fashion choices at the time, but none so strange as the donkey in the cess.......

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots of Butterley, presumeably the spinner was steamable still at the time?

There were some interesting fashion choices at the time, but none so strange as the donkey in the cess.......

Andy G

In due course some of my photos of the Spinner in steam will appear here.

Perhaps that donkey will make up for the lack of donkeys in my photos at Church Lane level crossing on the Great eastern!

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyone know which Soviet cruise ship that is in David’s Tilbury shot (C2621)? Is it the Mikhail Kalinin?

Best, Pete.

I think she's the Alexander Puskin.

The Mikhail Kalinin looks like a smaller ship in the photos I've seen of her.

David

The Russians were the crew - passengers were picked up at Tilbury. As Dave said it now runs as the Marco Polo and apparently it is very comfortable still due to a deep draft hull (and made of particularly thick steel - I watched a program about her on the Smithsonian TV channel - she uses Tilbury as a base still, or at least when the program was filmed).

The Kallinin also worked out of Tilbury (my parents went on her, once). I dropped them off at the docks and was able to talk to them through their porthole from the dock - those were the days, alright....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

J1176. The container on the first wagon is an odd one; is it one of those used to carry 'Dry Ice'? I think they were called 'Drikold', this being ICI's tradename for it. The Pipe wagons are carrying the load they were built for- cast iron pipes. Those are amongst the biggest I've seen- they look to be about 4' in diameter.

J1176. The container on the first wagon is an odd one; is it one of those used to carry 'Dry Ice'? I think they were called 'Drikold', this being ICI's tradename for it. The Pipe wagons are carrying the load they were built for- cast iron pipes. Those are amongst the biggest I've seen- they look to be about 4' in diameter.

Looks like a large 'PortaLoo' to me... :)

D6767 - Blue or very worn/faded Green? Old crest and old-style numbers...

Edited by talisman56

I've checked back, and it was on 4th Nov 2014, I tried to be the 100000th viewer and just missed it. Today I wanted to be the 500000th viewer and missed it again. But never mind - I still enjoy my daily instalment, and obviously a lot of other people do as well. So, thanks again Dave, and to the people who are able to add their expert knowledge in the discussions

• Like 1