Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Interesting pictures David

In the second round picture the 126 set nearest the camera looks to have two  what I believe to be DMBSs with gangway ends

Edited by russ p
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, DaveF said:

WestFerryDundeeClass47downAug74J3932.jpg.ff21715c2a8afdd757852731578c3847.jpg

West Ferry Dundee Class 47 down Aug 74 J3932

Interesting for what seems to be an RSO/RUO as the second-last coach. 

Also shows that the Mk2a BFK had red gangway doors (was often assumed that all Mk2a coaches had lime-green ones) 

Edited by keefer
correct a word
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, russ p said:

Interesting pictures David

In the second round picture the 126 set nearest the camera looks to have two  what I believe to be DMBSs with gangway ends

Looks like the blue/grey DMBS is one of the original E-G vehicles (van at the gangwayed cab end).

The leading blue DMBS looks like a cl.126 car with the van at the inner end, the other two driving cars are cl.126 DMS with gangway ends (they look different from normal as there is a toilet behind the cab)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb assortment of Scottish of photo’s. I especially like the first photo’ at Thurso with a Class 24, on the 25th June, 1969. 

That’s an excellent set of photo’s of the London Tilbury and Southend around Chalkwell and Leigh on Sea. In particular, I like the first photo’ at Chalkwell, with 302252 leading a 12 car formation, on an up service, in October, 1974. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of the Talyllyn Railway. I particularly like the last picturesque photo’ at Dolgoch, of No 6, Douglas, on the 31st August, 1969.

The photo’s of the Newcastle to Carlisle line, heading west, starting at Hexham, passing Fourstones and ending up at Haydon Bridge, are an excellent and nostalgic selection. What a remarkable photo’ C6504, is at Fourstones, from high up, with a Class 37 on an eastbound light engine movement, on the 9th June, 1984.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2024 at 16:57, keefer said:

Interesting for what seems to be an RSO/RUO as the second-last coach. 

Also shows that the Mk2a BFK had red gangway doors (was often assumed that all Mk2a coaches had lime-green ones) 

The BFKs and FKs  had the orange/red doors with the interior gangway end panels in orange

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cracking photo!

FourstonesClass37eastboundle9thJune84C65

Fourstones Class 37 eastbound l e 9th June 84 C6504

It LOOKS like half a trainset oval...   Good scenic work!

• Like 14
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

J5109 is interesting in the variety of wagons and grades of coal. And they all seem jumbled up too. So in some ways it's a block train of coal, but it's probably made up of several short sections with different origins and/or destinations.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

J5109 is interesting in the variety of wagons and grades of coal. And they all seem jumbled up too. So in some ways it's a block train of coal, but it's probably made up of several short sections with different origins and/or destinations.

Whenever I put photos like this on the web I wish that I knew the details of the working so I could try to work out why it is such a mixed bag of wagons.  I have a small collection of working timetables but nothing like enough to be of any practical use when I caption photos.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of Parkend on the Dean Forest Railway in April, 1972. In particular I like the first photo’ of Peckett Uskmouth number 1. A really lovely composition.

The five photo’s without a connecting theme are a delightful selection, and the first photo’ at High Marnham, with a Class 37 on a down coal train, in April, 1976, is an excellent shot of the train. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Whenever I put photos like this on the web I wish that I knew the details of the working so I could try to work out why it is such a mixed bag of wagons.  I have a small collection of working timetables but nothing like enough to be of any practical use when I caption photos.

David

Well according to an entry in thegrowlergroup.org.uk for 37215, it worked 8P89 in 1973 which was 16.03 Doncaster - Whitemoor

Whether a portion was detached at Lincoln, I don't know, but it could explain the formation.

The line past High Marnham was freight only and closed beyond High Marnham in 1980 after a derailment which caused damage beyond economical repair, so was lifted between there and Pyewipe Junction - Lincoln, with the Fledborough viaduct over The Trent now being a cycle route....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A nice set of photos of a steam railway at work.

Radford Junction  Jubilee 45694 Bellerophon up XP Leeds to St Pancras c1951 JVol1187 shows how short an express service can be.

Radford junction in snow c1952 JVol5032 shows a winter railway that would be still working as normal, not ground to a halt by a few inches of snow!

Radford Junction 8F up goods c1951 JVol5030 and Radford Junction track relaying c1951 JVol2230 -  What Hi-Vis? (though probably not a safe working environment...)

Excellent source material for any steam railway modeller.

Edited by Hroth
meaningless mistype altered
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

The lamp hanging from the corner of Radford Jct signal box - what is that for, I've not seen one like that before (that I can remember)? It seems to have blinders on the side to shine across the tracks only, but not in line with the crossing. To illuminate the coal (?) bin opposite?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A nice set of photos of a steam railway at work.

Radford Junction  Jubilee 45694 Bellerophon up XP Leeds to St Pancras c1951 JVol1187 shows how far an express service can be.

Radford junction in snow c1952 JVol5032 shows a winter railway that would be still working as normal, not ground to a halt by a few inches of snow!

Radford Junction 8F up goods c1951 JVol5030 and Radford Junction track relaying c1951 JVol2230 -  What Hi-Vis? (though probably not a safe working environment...)

Excellent source material for any steam railway modeller.

And a greenhouse on the allotment - on railway land? Just noticed the bean row too.

Edited by Artless Bodger
Expanded comment
  • Like 4